Sign in to follow this  
Gordy

Richard Burns Passed away Today

Quote[/b] ]RICHARD BURNS

It is with very great sadness that we must announce the death of Richard Burns, the 2001 FIA World Rally Champion. Burns, who was diagnosed with an astrocytoma, a form of brain tumour, in November 2003 passed away last night Friday 25th November peacefully. His partner Zoe, family and close friends were at his bedside.

From the outset Richard knew that the odds were heavily against him and yet he fought his illness with bravery and good humour. Having undergone both chemotherapy and radiotherapy he was able to leave hospital in summer 2004. For a while his health showed signs of improvement but then after six months it once again began to decline. Determined not to give up, he opted for surgery earlier this year. This alleviated some of the symptoms of his illness and enabled him to remain active. At Castle Combe in August he attended a parade of the rally cars that he drove throughout his career and was touched by the warmth of the reception he received. However there was to be no miracle and in recent days he lapsed into a coma.

The media, friends and fans are asked to respect the family’s privacy at this time. There will be a private funeral and instead of flowers the family would ask that donations be sent to Cancer Research. Anyone who would like to send messages should address them to the memorials pages on this website. www.richard-burns.co.uk/memorials

The date of a memorial service will be announced shortly.

Richard Burns, Age: 34

Born: Reading, Berkshire – 17 January 1971

memorials

Rest in peace!

The second true sportsman of the english isles to pass away within a few days.

Tis a sad loss for the Motor sport world!

Wy are folk so hung up about a man who is more famous for his drinking and pissing away his talent, than a man who actually was really good at what he did?

At least he had a good life I say, did what he really wanted to do. smile_o.gif

As a guy who still plays Richard Burns Rally and had no idea who Richard Burns was before, I am really touched now. I have seen a lot of interviews with him and read a lot of stuff about him and from him after I bought the rally game. It´s really sad that he had to die that young.

Cancer is the illness I hate most. I have lost my mom and close friends who were very young to that shitty illness over the last years.

Let´s hope for a second that there is some kind of heaven. That would make it more easy to understand.

I hope he can rest in peace now. sad_o.gif

Tis a sad loss for the Motor sport world!

Wy are folk so hung up about a man who is more famous for his drinking and  pissing away his talent, than a man who actually was really good at what he did?

He was good at what he did! If he chose to end his football career with drinking and payed the price for it does it reduce his former achievements? People should do whatever they want to with their lives instead of listening to moralising idiots.