Sign in to follow this  
Heatseeker

Did BIS sold your free addons?

http://www.virtualbattlespace.com/ambush.htm

Quote[/b] ]BI has granted BBN a license for the use of BIs game software and tools in connection with DARWARS Ambush!.

BI reminds all users of Operation Flashpoint and the various BI editing tools that have been released to the gaming community that their end user license agreements prohibit all commercial use of the game and tools.

Does the license provided by BI include the use of user made free addons? Because in this DARWARS movie (right click and save) we can clearly see that BBN is utilising several free addons made by OPF modders for comercial purposes.

I could clearly identify CATSH1TONE's buildings from his afghanistan island, TCP's animated dog, Mapfact buildings, JAM magazines and there's possibly more.

So it seems BBN is scripting missions using free OPF addons and selling it to the military confused_o.gif .

Please tell me you guys are being payed.

(Already posted this somewhere else..)

Quote[/b] ]BIs game software and tools

I do understand that BIS claim ownership over everything created with their tools and for their engine but what does this DARWARS thing offer that isnt available in VBS1 confused_o.gif .

What kind of crappy software developer (BBN) would do something like this confused_o.gif .

I hope theres some misundertanding here because it doesnt look good at all sad_o.gif .

Guest RKSL-Rock

Have to say im really not happy with the implications of this. Is someone from BIS going to comment on this?

they can be sued for it rofl.gif

Mapfact have created their buildings from scratch, its their intelectual property, and as such, they must agree to military use, and be paid royalties for the use. Wich would be ALOT. Same goes for the other addons.

No they didn't. The only thing BI could license would be the use of their software. If it turns out that BBN is "Standing on the shoulders of mod builders", that, in my mind -- as someone _not_ on BI's payroll -- is something that the mod builders best take up directly with the company itself.

10_5_Art1.jpg

Looks like Hyk's US troops too me mad_o.gif Can BIS realy sell the textures we as addons makers create?

STGN

edit too add:

They also use BAS's M4's.

I highly doubt that BIS has sold any addons. They sold a licence to the company so they can use the OFP engine commercially and then they have taken the addons the OFP community has made and put them in their sim.

BIS can prohibit us from selling addons created with the aid of the tools released by them but they do not own the addons, the addon makers owns their own addons even though they're not actually worth anything.

As someone said, this has to be taken to the BBN technologies who are the ones behind Darwars ambush. If they have used the addons without a permission then they should get hell for it, and even sued if they don't remove them.

Guest RKSL-Rock
No they didn't. The only thing BI could license would be the use of their software. If it turns out that BBN is "Standing on the shoulders of mod builders", that, in my mind -- as someone _not_ on BI's payroll -- is  something that the mod builders best take up directly with the company itself.

Well thats not really the case now is it. Since BBN are now in contravention of the BIS license agreement by using 3rd party addons made by the community for commerical reasons. Unless of course BIS authorised them to do it... in which case they are selling our work with out compensating us...which is theft in most countries. whistle.gif

AGS buildings are used too.

lol have you guys heard the guy in the vid saying they are always looking for cheap solutions, well you can't get any cheaper then free community made addons rofl.gif

EDIT:

Quote[/b] ]Looks like Hyk's US troops too me mad_o.gif Can BIS realy sell the textures we as addons makers create?

I can't tell for sure but it looks like them:

ambush_l.jpg

BIS has already been informed and is not included in these struggels. Also the mod teams (like the BWMod) whose work was used are informed or getting informed about that stuff and work together with BIS.

It is totally useless to comment on this or make romors without background information.

You should wait for an official statement.

DARWARS ambush.

Theres more to it...

Quote[/b] ]The initial application has involved convoy-operations training, but Ambush! is beginning to be applied in other areas, including platoon level mounted infantry tactics, dismounted operations, Rules-of-Engagement training, cross-cultural communications training, and has the flexibliity to apply in other areas as well.

So it seems they can use pretty much everything you guys made in their "missions" crazy_o.gif . Honestly i dont see why would the mil choose this instead of VBS1 confused_o.gif .

doesnt stop us as the addon makers taking up a claim against this company, whether or not BIS has authorised them to use OFP (and what looks like VBS in places?)

DARWARS ambush.

Theres more to it...

Quote[/b] ]The initial application has involved convoy-operations training, but Ambush! is beginning to be applied in other areas, including platoon level mounted infantry tactics, dismounted operations, Rules-of-Engagement training, cross-cultural communications training, and has the flexibliity to apply in other areas as well.

So it seems they can use pretty much everything you guys made in their "missions" crazy_o.gif . Honestly i dont see why would the mil choose this instead of VBS1 confused_o.gif .

I guess that BIS doesn't consider them a real competitor otherwise they would never had sold the licence to a company which might take market shares from BIA and VBS1.

Guest major gandhi

I don't understand why BI allows a company to modify ofp and sell it to the military. That what BBN is aiming to develop from OFP will result in a product similiar to VBS. So why doesn't BI semself just sell VBS then?

This is not just about a couple addons, this is about everything user created for OPF in the past 4.5 years, ranging from addons, mods, missions, scripts, maps, tutorials, resources, etc.

This is not funny at all, it involves alot of work, research and all the hours people have dedicated to give something to the comunity for free... and some bastards are selling it crazy_o.gif .

We only saw a small movie, imagine all the stuff they may have used/sold and we will never know about it sad_o.gif .

This is worse than Armed Assault being delayed, its very serious stuff sad_o.gif .

Guest RKSL-Rock
I don't understand why BI allows a company to modify ofp and sell it to the military. That what BBN is aiming to develop from OFP will result in a product similiar to VBS. So why doesn't BI semself just sell VBS then?

Thats not the point of this little debate - the issue is whether someone is making money from 'our' work with compensating the actual authors.

We only saw a small movie, imagine all the stuff they may have used/sold and we will never know about it sad_o.gif

Just what I was thinking sad_o.gif

However I found this the most amusing part of the vid:

Quote[/b] ]We at BBN are always looking for cheap training solutions

Well you can't get any cheaper then free community-made addons and the best part of it is that the community made almost every single piece of military equipment over the past years so basically they have their complete military simulator together.

Not funny when you think about that confused_o.gif

I hate to see something like this going on, really disrespectful to all the wonderful authors who had devoted time to providing free and very useful scripts and addons..

And what the problem about selling addons? OFP Fans will still get good addons  smile_o.gif  Because they can't stop addon makers releasing stuff for OFP wink_o.gif Company never can make addon maker stop releasing stuff for game he wants.

For example if you want addon to be for VBS1 and OFP nobody can say if you make it for VBS1 you can't make it for OFp

You seem to miss the point, USSRsniper, the intelectual property of someone else is being sold here. confused_o.gif

You seem to miss the point,  USSRsniper, the intelectual property of someone else is being sold here.  confused_o.gif

But we don't know how it sold? maybe addon makers recieve money biggrin_o.gif or got premission without paying.

And what the problem about selling addons? OFP Fans will still get good addons smile_o.gif Because they can't stop addon makers releasing stuff for OFP wink_o.gif Company never can make addon maker stop releasing stuff for game he wants.

Sorry but it kinda turns me of if I put hours of work in something for free and someone else makes money of it. And I think every addon maker feels that way confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]But we don't know how it sold? maybe addon makers recieve money biggrin_o.gif or got premission without paying.

So far I haven't heard from anybody that they got paid confused_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
And what the problem about selling addons? OFP Fans will still get good addons  smile_o.gif  Because they can't stop addon makers releasing stuff for OFP wink_o.gif Company never can make addon maker stop releasing stuff for game he wants.

For example if you want addon to be for VBS1 and OFP nobody can say if you make it for VBS1 you can't make it for OFp

After a brief discussion with some addon makers, you may not be getting any addons at all from some people if this continues.

Thats absolute inhuman , it seems like they JUST wait that some addon maker do some addons for the game , they earn all the laurels and the name of the autor will be sweep under the carpet. Really not nice mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif