Sign in to follow this  
Acecombat

Compressed file troubles

I seem to be having problems with compressed files these days , like i d/lded FFUR and Neph's mercs latest and they both come up as corrupted archives or so WINRAR states that. I even red/lded them thinking Getright probably messed it up in the d/ld but that didnt work either.

Even some of the game CD's wont install stuff on my PC anymore as the .cab files within them give error during installation and abort the setup sad_o.gif .

I need help , i wanna know whats the source of the problem and how to fix it i installed the latest WINRAR 3.51 today too just to see if that helped but it didnt. Any ideas what it might be?

Hmm negative i'd say on the virus.

I got Norton Internet Security 2005 running with the AV fully uptodate , last system scan showed everything clean confused_o.gif .

This bug has me seriously pissed , just another one of those out of the blue problems banghead.gif .

Uninstall completely your current winrar and install a stable version.

maybe the 3.5 or 3.0

Regards

TB84

First post:

installed the latest WINRAR 3.51 today too just to see if that helped but it didnt.

huh.gif

I am at the end of my patience here and am thinking of a total windows reinstall as much as i hate doing it confused_o.gif .

I suppose I would try 7-zip and check the file checksums if I were you.

Sry Ace but if you cant even install games/files that are compressed inside a CD you must have something fubared in there sad_o.gif .

What about old rar/zip files you already have on you disk? Can you extract those confused_o.gif ?

Eizei whats 7 zip? A software? Also how do i check .cab files?

And yes heatseeker most of the old stuff works fine , though i ofcourse havent tried each and everyone to check for anomalies.

Download manager confused_o.gif ? If you can open older rar files you already had then it might be something fucking up the data while it transfers? Or maybe your conection acting weird lately? Makes no sense really..

Eizei whats 7 zip? A software? Also how do i check .cab files?

And yes heatseeker most of the old stuff works fine , though i ofcourse havent tried each and everyone to check for anomalies.

7-zip is a free archiver. One can check the integrity of ANY file by comparing a known non-broken file's MD5 checksum with the file you have.

But if you are having troubles getting them off CD.. well, seems that your operating system and/or hardware has been FUBAR'd.

Guest RKSL-Rock

I'd suggest uninstalling all the third party file utilities (Zip, RAR etc) and see if XP will deal with zip files - if it does then don’t rebuild your machine. If it won’t then the file management system is probably corrupt and you really only have 2 choices:

1 - Try and do a repair from the boot dics.

3 - Rebuild your PC.

Good Luck

I'd suggest uninstalling all the third party file utilities (Zip, RAR etc) and see if XP will deal with zip files - if it does then don’t rebuild your machine.  If it won’t then the file management system is probably corrupt and you really only have 2 choices:

3 - Rebuild your PC.

Good Luck

I did try that uninstalled WINRAR but windows cant seem to open .rar files only zip's are handled by the OS. And since most addons these days come in rar due to its better compression i cant live of the OS only. I dont think the OS's file management system is broke ,it probably just windows random feck-up of the year as it always does once in awhile.

A full Format is required me thinks as i havent done it in a year or so now which is touching the limits of how long windows can be stable icon_rolleyes.gif .

Guest RKSL-Rock
I'd suggest uninstalling all the third party file utilities (Zip, RAR etc) and see if XP will deal with zip files - if it does then don’t rebuild your machine.  If it won’t then the file management system is probably corrupt and you really only have 2 choices:

3 - Rebuild your PC.

Good Luck

I did try that uninstalled WINRAR but windows cant seem to open .rar files only zip's are handled by the OS. And since most addons these days come in rar due to its better compression i cant live of the OS only. I dont think the OS's file management system is broke ,it probably just windows random feck-up of the year as it always does once in awhile.

A full Format is required me thinks as i havent done it in a year or so now which is touching the limits of how long windows can be stable  icon_rolleyes.gif .

I wasnt suggesting that windows could handle RAR, but the fact that it can and is handling zip is a good sign.

It suggests that your registry might have duplicated winrar entries that are causing it to screw up.

You could try using regedit to go through your registry looking for entries like Rarlabs, Winrar etc and deleting them. Reboot and then reinstall Winrar from a fresh source file.

And get regclean, or some other software that does the same thing. And run it after youv'e fiddled about manually.

Hmm i am a n00b at registry stuff , and ive always heard warnings about not to mess with the registry if you dont know what your doing. If you guys can explain EXACTLY what i need to do i might give it a try but i dont wanna break my whole OS because of it.

Isnt there a freeware software that might do this all by itself and without me interfering in the registry? I have a few such prog's but they are trials and very teasing at best they only finger the wrong stuff out but dont fix it or do anything crazy_o.gif .

Guest RKSL-Rock

OK

First back up the registry - Microsoft "How To..." Page

This will tell you how to backup and restore your registry in the event you cockup.

Now once you have a backup Start Regedit

Start > Run > Type "Regedit" - then press enter

goto EDIT > FIND

In the dialog box type "winrar" and click "FIND"

The first one you should find is:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinRAR

In the left and side of the regedit window you should see the open folder icon in the tree. Click on it and press the delete key.

Then use the F3 key to find the next entry and delete that too. Then work you way throught the registry carefully. it may take you 30mins or so but if it works thenits time well spent.

Other keys are:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.r02

to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rXX (depends on your system)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rar\ShellNew

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rev

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\ShellNew

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WinRAR.exe

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WinRAR.exe\shell\open\command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinRAR

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\DragDropHandlers\WinRAR

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\DragDropHandlers\WinRAR

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinRAR

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\DragDropHandlers\WinRAR

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinRAR

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinRAR.REV

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinRAR.ZIP

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ace

There will be lots of other entries for each extenstion that winrar was registered against.  Delete each one until it can find anymore. Then reboot your PC and install Winrar from a fresh package youve downloaded from the Winrar website.

Then hopefully it shoudl be working. If not then id suggest findig a registry repeair tool. That might restore some of the settings that are damaged.

I prefer to do it manually but if you arent too confident about editing the system files they may be your best bet.

Download.com has some free downloads you might try.

Good luck.