Sign in to follow this  
Pappy Boyington

New Ocean Island... Flood

a USCG mod fan MSNed me tonight and discussed how much he liked the USCG mod... that mabe he would do some missions invovling rescues and such.

and i figured what better example to use them then in a natural disaster like a hurricane. and in light of recent events i thought i would flood new ocean island.

oceancityflood.jpg

oceancityflood2.jpg

oceancityflood3.jpg

the bridge is out, but the airport and NG base are still above the flood level so you can house survivors there.

if you do a mission on say Sept 2nd @ 10am the water is waste deep. @ noon its neck deep.

between July and October is when the water is the highest. between the hours of 9am and 3pm.  so unfortunitly no night time flood missions.

Download Flooded Ocean Island (78kb) requires New Ocean Island w/ All Included Addons (53 MB)

i hope this isnt offensive or anything like that considering recent events. but it was recent events that prompted this island.

weitehr your doing screenshots or hopefuly missions... this is a good island to do flood rescue missions.

Mission Possibilities:

Rescue

Search and Rescue

Riot Control

Anti-Looting

and many more.

edit: forgot to mention the island is only flooded during "high tide" so make sure u test between jul and oct and between the hours of 9am and 3pm in the editor.

edit2: Island Updated with Debris

Well I happen to think it's a really novel idea, and just goes to show the flexibility of the OFP platform.

edit: flooding the island 24/7 wont work. so the island only floods during hightide.

for best results i suggest

Sept 2nd

11:00 AM

I was already wondering when are we going to get a flooded island like this. Looks great, can't wait to go around and rescue some civies!

Or maybe play as a national guard guy and hunt the people robbing stores? Hope the national guard base is high enough not to be flooded... But if it is, what 'bout the highway? tounge2.gif

Well, gotta go and take a look then.

EDIT: YESSS! It looks great, only problem I found is that some parts of the bridge seem to be elevated way more than others. Well maybe it wasn't a hurricane but an earthquake then?

this is a great idea, it just shows how good flashpoint was and how addaptive it is. Great work Pappy Boyington its a very nice idea

Hehe, great idea biggrin_o.gif

It's a strange idea that noone thinks of, but when someone finaly does, everyone thinks "..should have thought of that icon_rolleyes.gif " tounge2.gif

I'll play about with this in MP tonight, hopefully biggrin_o.gif

- Ben

Yes, Hi everyone, I'm that fan that MSNed Pappy. My name is Sean Tate. I didnt really start getting into the US Coast Guard until the Flood in New orleans. I must admit, im sort of a trend liker after seeing something, but anyway, Im gonna make some missions for everyone wink_o.gifrofl.gif The first few Im going to make will be on McNool's Pacific Island, then the rest will be on pappy's l33t flooded ocean island, im gonna make them enjoyable, but you wont be seeing any cutters driving through the streets :P anywhoo, just want to let you guys know

EDIT: YESSS! It looks great, only problem I found is that some parts of the bridge seem to be elevated way more than others. Well maybe it wasn't a hurricane but an earthquake then?

i didnt have a broken bridge addon tounge2.gif so i just mesed up the elevations of it to make it look destroyed. taxi-ing civis back and forth on the bridge would be too easy, i wanted to make this mostly a helo rescue type thing

Quote[/b] ]It's a strange idea that noone thinks of, but when someone finaly does, everyone thinks "..should have thought of that

or they PM me and call me an inconsiderate asshole for making a replica of a disaster and then compare it to making a 9/11 mod icon_rolleyes.gif

look... this island was flooded so that people could make rescue missions and reinact current events in the safty of their own computers.

noone complained when we did an Iraqi War mod. i fail to see the differnce here. in a war people die, homes destroyed, and familys torn apart. the only differnce here. noone is shooting at us.. well except for the looters.

in the war people go thru tragedy; and we boot up our games and reinact that tradgedy. in this hurrican a city got flooded and peopl go thru tradgedy. now we can boot up our games and instead of trying to kill people (besides looters) we can do rescue missions. hell wiht a lil effort we can do a whole campaign on the Coast Gaurd and National Gaurd Efforts here. now i dunno about some people but appertnly killing people is more fun then rescuing them in current events reinactments.

now i enjoy the daily dose of death destruction and dismay as much as the next feller but i think rescue missions are alot more fun and alot more challaneing. plus a nice step away from the norm in ofp.

everyone is entitled to thier opinions, but sometimes i think we take thoses opinions too far.

Pappy, I agree, a mod in wich you have to resque people amids of natural disasters (things flying about, forest fire, flooding) sounds very hecktic... it's out of the box, to say the least, and personally I find a "kill evil people" mod worse then a "help people" type of mod, but hey, that's just my opinion wink_o.gif

EDIT: typo's... tounge2.gif

just watched late night news on tv

missions on this island will be preety sad

all tho its good you made it.

or they PM me and call me an inconsiderate asshole for making a replica of a disaster and then compare it to making a 9/11 mod  icon_rolleyes.gif

Notice how those who have criticised you do not have enough conviction to post their objections choosing a sniping secret PM?  wink_o.gif

I think its a very interesting idea and will be very interesting to play when the Katastrophenschutz (sp??) is released. Maybe making the island so it is flooded 24/7 asis the case in New Orleans would be more relevant than it being tidal? Anyway props to you Pappy for a novel idea.

Nice addon.

I suggest have more junk in the street like floating planks of wood and boxes. After all 155 mph winds just slammed the island.

Had a go in single player (*Frowns at Gandalf*)

It's pretty cool biggrin_o.gif

Only thing, swiming addons are a little weird, sometimes you can walk, and you randomly stop/start swiming, and the CoC swimmer, when you stop swiming, you appear 20m in the air.. The Ninja addon swimming it a bit better, but not perfect

Anyway, yeh, all it needs is some missions made smile_o.gif

"everyone is entitled to thier opinions, but sometimes i think we take thoses opinions too far." - Yep, I totaly agree.. People need to take a step back from things, before doing things like claiming someone was trying to offend people by making a certain addon..

But meh, I could rant for hours on this, but I wont, as it wont get anywhere tounge2.gif

I say : let them complain, and continue making.. original.. addons biggrin_o.gif

- Ben

or they PM me and call me an inconsiderate asshole for making a replica of a disaster and then compare it to making a 9/11 mod  icon_rolleyes.gif

Notice how those who have criticised you do not have enough conviction to post their objections choosing a sniping secret PM?  wink_o.gif

actualy i will commend him for doing it via PM he didnt want tos tart a flame war. for the same reason i didnt mention thier user name.

this person has family in that area so thats why he was offended. but like i said i fail to see the differnce between a natural tragedy and a man-make tragedy in teh current events. we all know someone that is or was in the war... but noone is objecting the Iraqi War mod.

i did this island mainly with the USCG mod addons in mind (but this isnt a USCG mod addon itself) i personaly enjoy rescue missions. picking up stranded people delivering supplies, sar. the works. so i thought that we needed an island modded to be a disaster area and it wasnt until the recent events that it hit me. we can flood an ofp island.

I tried it out in the editor just a little while ago.

A really nice idea, like someone else said, put some floating rubble on the streets, and it will look really realistic.

One thing I notice though, when flying around in a helicopter, the roads look like they seem to "float" on the water, they can be seen even though they are flooded, am I the only one having this problem? Please enlighten me.

I am really looking forward to seeing some missions in this scenario, personally, I think it is one of the most humane mission concepts so far in OFP. Rescuing people.

i forgot to adress the rublein teh streets post:

ill think about it. see what i come up with smile_o.gif but no promises.

the floating road thing.. yea i noticed that too. the only way to fix that is to remove the raods but the island isnt flooded 24/7 so when the waters reeceed ur gonna have a roadless map.

Not to go off topic or anything, but why the hell are these homeless refugees, who's lives are safe, comlpaining so damn much and saying that the government isn't helping them enough? I mean FFS they sent in the national guard, thats the best help they can get, and their still bitching and moaning as if it was the governments fault... Sorry if its offensive but I mean come on, there is a reason it is called a NATURAL DISASTER.

Now, on topic, great idea pappy, sounds fun rescuing all of the civies, and I would be glad to rescue all the helpless surivivers, you know as long as they don't complain about it, makes me glad that AI are incapable of speaking their minds biggrin_o.gif

Great Idea!

This make me think of others natural disasters that could have an interesting adaptation in Ofp...

What about forest fires? We would need some "water bombers" of course, but wouldn`t it be nice to drop water to extinct a fire instead of destroying things?

I understand that this is pretty big as an idea... This would mean to create massive fires, plus destruction of buildings, plus the vehicles to combat the flames, and so on...

Anyway, just dreaming...

makes me glad that AI are incapable of speaking their minds  biggrin_o.gif

2: 1, wtf?

3: 1, wtf?

4: 1, wtf?

5: 1, wtf?

Commander: 2,3,4,5, board rescue helo

it would be 20 minutes of that before..

Pilot: 2, target man 1, 2 'o clock

rofl.gif

on topic.. im prolly gonna update this with cars and things in the streets. gonna use the BIS car models and they obviously wont be enterable.

Gonna need armed looters and snipers too, firing on the unarmed refugees. Better be carefull to or they'll take some shots at your helicopter. Could have a flooded city CQB, us national guard goes in to help rescue teams and find survivers, and boom, ambushed by armed criminals, shooting at anything that moves. Not to mention the huge number of unarmed civilians that will allways get in your way, and a bunch of wanderers who just run away from you and have no desired to be saved. Sounds like a pretty hard mission...

i would apprecate it if news sites hold off mirrors and news about this

im working on an updated version with lost of debris and stuff.

need to fix the car model debris first

oceancityflood3.jpg

island updated with debris.

no extra addons needed smile_o.gif the car was in art_bd, so was the newspapers. the rocks are in f3wx_o1

try it out. hopefuly its better now smile_o.gif

some dumpsters are in the street too but a large truck can run them over