Sign in to follow this  
Baphomet

Performance issues.

Recently I considered purchasing a game called Boiling Point: Road to hell. It was supposedly non-linear far-cry'ish type game set in a large expansive environment... etc.

Someone equated it to Morrowind in a review. I dismissed that comparison initially until I read the review further. Amongst some forgivable bugs, apparently for many, the game will suffer at times from horrible stuttering.

This was one of the most notably aggravating problems with Morrowind, which since Daggerfall, I had been looking forward to. I tried Morrowind on three different computers ranging from 1.8 to 3.2ghz. -all- of the exhibited a degree of stutter that was unbearable.

I can forgive a lot of bugs, I can forgive clipping errors, and funny ai, visual artifacts, etc.

One thing I cannot forgive is performance robbing garbage like that. I simply couldn't enjoy Morrowind because of it, and likely because it was so expansive, and I couldn't enjoy Boiling Point either for the same reason.

So basically what I'm saying is: Please for the love of god, don't allow the game to ship with a bug as critical as that. I don't care what you have to cut to fix it, crap like that just turns me off cold from games.

heh yeh remember crimson skies .. by far the most buggiest game i have ever played.. not to mention one of the best tounge2.gif

but yeh hopefully the final code will be as bug free as possible.

Now BP runs great, altough mine crashes each 5 minutes, tweaked or not confused_o.gif

and morrowind ran fine, so dont see a problem here?

but ontopic: heh, i trust that BIS wont give us a half finished version... tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]

and morrowind ran fine, so dont see a problem here?

Some people didn't have problems, however many people did. There were many threads with many affirmative respondants on the TES forums about the problem of stuttering, and apparently they didn't even eliminate it for the xbox version to some capacity.

Perhaps I'm just super sensitive to that kind of thing, but I noticed it and I hated it. Couldn't enjoy the game because of it.

Morrowind was a memory intensive game. Your proccesor speed has little to do with how well it would run(It does have some influence). You'd see the diffrence if you had more/faster RAM.

Funny to see this here, the game is still in the oven and you guys are already posting about performance issues confused_o.gif .

I too hope the game will run has good has possible but judging from the detail on the pics and what BIS is trying to achieve its gonna be a very demanding game, hopefully not has much has OFP was when it came out smile_o.gif .

Finally I found the right place to talk about performance issues in OFP.

I have already posted my problem here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=360

Has anyone an idea, why OFP has the following 2 performance problems. Thos are not erally understandable for me:

-150-300 cycling AI units suck CPU performance, but I don't guess why they are taking THAT much performance. Although AI seems quiet good (compared to other games), it uses terribly slow code confused_o.gif

naturally the units are spreadded in a 3km2 area, so you don't see them all simultanously

-The object LOD management is also very slow. Adjusting some hundreds/thousands of objects' LOD in realtime should neither be that slow. Seems also very poor coded. Only solution seems to decrease detail level, but on my system, that's not fun sad_o.gif

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+

RAM: 2*512MB PC3200 dual channel

GPU: nVidia geForce 6800 128MB

board: nForce 2 ultra 400