Sign in to follow this  
DracoPaladore

Carl Gustav?

I mean, in the game. I'm not sure, but it modelled right in the game? Isn't the Carl Gustav basically a large 84mm cannon, not a rocket launcher? It's always something that erred, but I'm not sure if that's because of the games time frame.

Am I right? Or is it just an engine limitation?

I mean, in the game. I'm not sure, but it modelled right in the game? Isn't the Carl Gustav basically a large 84mm cannon, not a rocket launcher? It's always something that erred, but I'm not sure if that's because of the games time frame.

Am I right? Or is it just an engine limitation?

the model is pretty much right, thoguh very simple..

and no, it does NOT fire rockets like it does in OFP...

it fires grenades (like a cannon as you said)

it is exactley a hand held, short AT cannon with backblast (same as the russian gun SPG9 but muchs shorter and slightly smaller calibre)

Guest The Cobra

Atleast something from Sweden that beats all others asses tounge2.gif

Did you know; That the SAAB JAS Gripen 39 has a engine developed by Volvo?

Didn't think so wink_o.gif

rofl.gif

Silly me, forgot about Wiki.

Thanks for info. I wasn't sure if the US in OFP were using an older or some other make of the Charlie-G. I know it was a Cannon today lookign at the Canadian government website, but wasn't sure if that was always the way it was made or something such.

Yeah, I'm a foo rofl.gif

Has anyone thought of making extra ammo for the Carl Gustav in OFP, like smoke or flare (starshell) rounds?

SFP (Swedish forces pack) has flare rounds in their SFP 3.0 pack wink_o.gif

SFP 4.0 is supposed to have Smoke too, then they have 4 sorts of ammo, HEAT, HE, SMOKE and ILLUM wink_o.gif

i also thing that the danish mod DDAM has more then one sort of ammo, not sure however... all i know is that they use the model from SFP wink_o.gif

em... i was making it, but i made with too many polygons and works stopped when i were concidering of making close-in ammo and soft rounds...  sad_o.gif

as i remember Carl Gustaf M3 uses 8 different rounds maybe more...

this site was my first start of works on CGM3, there are ammo, videos and info not only about CG, but also about At-4, RBS-56 (Bill-2) and etc...

Carl Gustaf site

and this is my still unfinished work, probably 2 years old (cycle for more pix; it's been updated a bit ...)

sad that i'm not so good at creating addons...

well did you know thas Jas-39 volvo engine can be changed to F-16 engine? it adds more power...

P.S. sorry the_shadow, i forgot to give a link... wink_o.gif

the CG has the following ammo:

HE (High Explosive), HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), HEAT 751 (rocket propelled HEAT for greater range), HEDP (High Explosive Dual Purpose); Smoke, Illumination (flare) and ADM (Area Defense Munition, sort of a big shotgun shell)

Maximum range is 700m (1000m with HEAT 751), effective range against moving targets is about 400m

and yes, it fires a grenade, complete with shell, similar to a tank.

so it should NOT have that "swooosh" sound...

Demonstration film (Modem)

Demonstration film (ADSL)

Silly me, forgot about Wiki.

Thanks for info. I wasn't sure if the US in OFP were using an older or some other make of the Charlie-G. I know it was a Cannon today lookign at the Canadian government website, but wasn't sure if that was always the way it was made or something such.

Yeah, I'm a foo rofl.gif

To clarify, everything about the Carl Gustav except basically the model is wrong in OFP.

The real CG does not fire rockets, much less guided missiles, it fires grenades.

A soldier can carry many more than just one round like in OFP.

No US forces except the Rangers (IIRC) use it today, and certainly not in 1985. The M47 Dragon would have been a much more correct choice for AT units in OFP.

IRL it is quite uneffective against modern armor, not a T-72-frontal-armor-killing one hit wonder weapon like in OFP.

The Soviet AT4 does not exist in shoulder-launched form like in OFP either, and the tank damage modelling is pretty messed up (LAWs killing BMPs from the front causing massive explosions without exception?), but that's another issue.

em... not many more! one soldier can carry two rounds, but in squad there is one more soldier who is carrying another two rounds for Carl Gustaf...

so in squad we have 1 CG and 4 different rounds for it...

at least this system is functioning in Lithuania's army... wink_o.gif

i thought the loader carried 4 rounds at least wink_o.gif

atleast thats how we do it here in sweden biggrin_o.gif

gunner carries 2 rounds (if he carries any at all, that is, most often it´s enough with carrying the assaultrifle and the CG itself..

then the gunner carries 4 more rounds straped onto a aluminum frame on the back (same type frame is often used to strap the CG to also, originally its the frame from a older backpack)

then maybe one or 2 more units in the squad carries extra rounds for the CG..

though the CG is not used that much anymore, the rangers/jeagers use them sometimes, same goes for paratroopers iirc

Mech inf hardly ever use them anymore (they have a IFV with a 40mm autocannon, that is often enough)

close protection infantry use them quite often ans a complement to ATGM´s and AT4s

the local defence forces (Homeguard) use them sometimes

dont know about the amphibious infantry, i think they use them..

but its not like 10 years ago when all types of infantry squads had atleast 1 CG in each squad

and you might wonder what we use them for, well, first of all as a AT weapon (heavier then the AT4), secondy as a smoke launcher (blinding the enemy by shooting smoke directly at his position or close infront of him)

and last as a anti personell weapon..

the jeagers/rangers use them to destroy enemy supply and vehicle mostley

oh sorry, we just took your experience for our army(lihuania's)...

jup, man that carry CG is armed with ak-4 and in squad there are at least one soldier who is carrying 2 rounds, about 4 i don't know, because they are heavy too..

Quote[/b] ]

em... not many more! one soldier can carry two rounds, but in squad there is one more soldier who is carrying another two rounds for Carl Gustaf...

so in squad we have 1 CG and 4 different rounds for it...

at least this system is functioning in Lithuania's army... wink_o.gif

Err..I never said anything carrying more than one round.

DracoPaladore,

sorry, i made a mistake quoting, not you said it, Gollum1 did it... wink_o.gif

oh sorry, we just took your experience for our army(lihuania's)...

jup, man that carry CG is armed with ak-4 and in squad there are at least one soldier who is carrying 2 rounds, about 4 i don't know, because they are heavy too..

you meen that you lithuanians is weaker then us swedes? wink_o.gif

naaah, j/k biggrin_o.gif

ofcourse the amount of carried ammo depends on how strong the guy that carries them is..

a big strong gyu can without problems carry 4 rounds if he carries them on his back like a backpack (as i said, we use a steel frame from a old backpack for this)

same goes for the MG ammo...

and no, this is not the way to do it if you are to carry a backpack, but in that case you can either split up you equipment on the rest of the squad, or split up the ammo for the CG on the rest of the squad... or hope that you have saome sort of vehicle to transport it with wink_o.gif

for a well mechanized army this is not a problem...

you see, i don't know if our army has these backpacks...

i know that soldiers carry two rounds with one hand, rounds are placed in plastic round shaped cilinders...

I expressed myself badly, I mean of course the loader will carry the bulk of the rounds in a real AT team but it is very much possible for the gunner to carry several rounds, and since a true loader/gunner AT team system is impossible in OFP (especially before Resistance when you couldn't drop rounds) the CG gunner in OFP should be able to carry more. smile_o.gif If the CG was modeled correctly in the first place, of course.

What is that huge-ass AT missile in the inventory supposed to be anyway?

it supose to be HEAT-751, anti-tank Carl Gustaf's round...

well, i'm not satisfied with bis made AT-4 and Carl Gustaf... i think even my unfinished CG is better biggrin_o.gif you can check in previous page...

you see, i don't know if our army has these backpacks...

i know that soldiers carry two rounds with one hand, rounds are placed in plastic round shaped cilinders...

Yeah, thats the "normal" way to carry them wink_o.gif

the backpack frame thingy is well... a field invention basically biggrin_o.gif

some smart guy came up with the idea of strapping the frame from the backpack (external frame) and tie the cogers to it biggrin_o.gif

it supose to be HEAT-751, anti-tank Carl Gustaf's round...

well, i'm not satisfied with bis made AT-4 and Carl Gustaf... i think even my unfinished CG is better biggrin_o.gif you can check in previous page...

and that is a error from BIS in the first place, HEAT 751 wasnt even around back in 85..

[edit] btw Gedis, you should finish that CG M3 smile_o.gif it looks very nice... and maybe add the other rounds too it as well...

im sure the model replacement mods would use it smile_o.gif

and if possible, make the gunner carry 3 or 4 rounds (same as the LAW gunner)

gunner? em, i think it's to much... max. 2, and add in squad at support soldier... he could carry at least 2 more... wink_o.gif and finishing modeling it i would have to think about it...

my latest, two years old works on Carl Gustaf M3...

Carl Gustaf M3

Hedp-502

CGM3 model has 4000 polygons, don't know it's good or bad, but it looks crapy  huh.gif  i have also modeled Heat-751 and Hedp-502 rounds when fired, in CGM3 and ammo (when dropped on the ground)

I think i should try to renew this project, waiting your suggestions...

AND I NEED MORE PICTURES AND OTHER INFO AS MUCH AS YOU CAN GET, I HAVE SPENT NEARLY TWO MONTHS COLLECTING INFO AND PICTURES AND I STILL FEEL IT'S NOT ENOUGH, HOPE YOU WILL HELP ME

hm, atleast i can have problems getting pics of the M3...

we still use the old M2 model in sweden... (with a few exeptions for units that have got the M3 the latest few years and thus not being many pics of it)

em... lithuanian army also uses not 100% M3 model, it's M2 modernised, added optic scope, also can use more different rounds and etc. as i know there were M1, M2, M2 550, M3 and same as M3 but with different optics and etc.

my first love for Carl Gustaf started when i first time hold it i was 16 years old... try to find that photo...

and last time i hold it, was in june 22, 5 days till my 19 birthday...

that's me and you see that barrel which is aiming at you? it's 84mm, sad that it's not loaded, because it woul cut your head off quick and painless

June 22, my second time being a CG gunner...

P.S. no more info and pictres needed! Only videos and sounds... I searched in the internet, found tons of pix and a pdf about whole Carl Gustaf, just amazing pdf! and other thing i need, advices from talented modelers, how to make it look smooth with less polygons... and it would be good that this thread would be moved into discussion forum...