Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

standalone server cpu @100%

Guys,

Hello all. Just a little thing I'd like your opinion on.

I have a laptop PC next to me which runs my standalone server (GOTY edition). It's a powerful machine, a 3 meg P4 with half a gig of ram. When it hosts a game and as the mission proper starts (the shooting stage, not briefing etc) the CPU load goes to 100% and stays there until the mission is over, even if there is only one player present.

Is this normal? I only ask as if I host a SWAT4 dedicated server on the same machine, CPU load with 6 players is only 40%.

Most odd. Any help greatly appreciated.

What version Opf and server?

Guest The Cobra
Is this normal? I only ask as if I host a SWAT4 dedicated server on the same machine, CPU load with 6 players is only 40%.

Well, they might has a newer P4 that controlls itself, and actually it's just the fan that slows down to make less noise..

Or?

Well, they might has a newer P4 that controlls itself, and actually it's just the fan that slows down to make less noise..

Or?

I don't understand your point?

I'm getting my CPU usage figures from task manager.

Quote[/b] ]Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal. It is partly due to some server code inefficiency, and partly due to the fact OFP is a complex game, and server CPU has a lot of work to do.

Guys,

Hello all. Just a little thing I'd like your opinion on.

I have a laptop PC next to me which runs my standalone server (GOTY edition). It's a powerful machine, a 3 meg P4 with half a gig of ram. When it hosts a game and as the mission proper starts (the shooting stage, not briefing etc) the CPU load goes to 100% and stays there until the mission is over, even if there is only one player present.

Most odd. Any help greatly appreciated.

The OFP dedicated server is very buggy.

Most of the CPU time is spent spinning in a loop that's pretty close to while(1); (it does nothing, a select loop with 0 timeout).

Instead of sleeping until it gets new data.

You'll sometimes catch it using 25% or more cpu even with 0 players online. smile_o.gif

Thanks guys. Mind @ rest.