Sign in to follow this  
moerty

sidearms?

will there be sidearms eventually? running out of bullets in cqb is a bit annoying and a sidearm would be a great assist during such times.

If you're running out of bullets either 1. Use your ammo more sparingly 2. Learn to aim better and use the "double tap" method 3. Pillage the dead smile.gif

Pistols would still be a nice option. They could be put into the special weapons category in the game. Along with Bino's and NVG's.

I would like to see:

1. a S&W .357 magnum revolver. or .44 mag would be nice too. or even a .38 special. .38 Revolvers used to be issued to U.S. pilots.

2. a Berretta 92 FS 9mm (this is the year when the U.S. Army switched to the Berretta from the Colt)

3. Colt .45

4. a IMI Desert Eagle in .357 or .50AE (yes I doubt they would be used by even special forces but they would be cool none the less) And yes, I'm pretty sure the .50AE round did not even exist in '85

5. A Glock 17

6. A marakov for the Russians.

Any other suggestions?

Tyler

my personal view is that they should not be made because it is very rare that a infantry soldier would be issued with one in the first place(this game is suppost to be realistic).

why use a weapon with a range of 50m when you can use a rifle, which is far more accurate and has a longer range.

If the buildings were half decent in this game then I would want sidearms but unfortunatly they are crude

Actually, pistols would have a place in the game.

Pistols are usually standard issue to machine gunners. (depending on the Army) The same goes with Snipers, Spec ops, crew members (tank, plane, chopper) and so on.

It would be nice....

Tyler

A pistol is something I've wanted in this game since a couple of weeks after buying this game in august 2001... But it's not neccessary. And weak if you compare it to a rifle.

But think of this, in a campaign mission or so... You become a war prisoner and they take you gun... But suddenly you pick up your little gun and shoot them in their heads tounge.gif or something. Anyway, what I mean is that it'd be pretty nice. As an extra option.

When I used to play DF:LW I loved the pistol, my fave tactic was sneaking up behind a sniper and instead of the standard knife them in the back tactic I would select my pistol (long time since I've played so don't recall the name, glock10 or something?) and on full auto put a full mag into the sniper at point blank range, used to scare the crap out of them and on my friend's T1 server that I always played on it was kinda my speciality, so don't think I'm against pistols smile.gif

however...........

I just don't see the point of having them in Opf

..........unless

.......... it's a supressed .22 then we definitely have a case for it as it would be solely used for a stealth kill, which sometimes it would be nice (and necessary) to do, but IMO saying you need a pistol for those times when you run out of ammo just isn't a valid argument to me smile.gif

I'm not saying they're needed, it would be cool to have the option, thats all.

Hey Placebo, so your an old DF veteran too eh?? I was a pretty good sniper, but when I got pissed I would grab my k-bar and go sniper hunting. biggrin.gif My most rewarding tactic in DF:LW was shooting people at long range (100+m) with the SOCOMS .45, it was easier with tracers on though. I think your referring to the Glock 18.

I haven't played there in a while, OFP is just too good. And the bastard cheaters got too annoying to stand.

Tyler

I see some room and usage for a silenced secondary weapon.

While realistically it´s way off that every soldier is running around with a pistol, not to speak of a silenced one, it would be useful for switching between the "fireworks" aka your normal unsilenced AR and a suppressed pistol.

So when you have the opportunity to take down a guard silently, why giving away your presence to early by firing your AR´s? Of course that´s CQB only, especially useful at night or in villages.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Jan. 16 2002,22:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

I haven't played there in a while, OFP is just too good. And the bastard cheaters got too annoying to stand.<span id='postcolor'>

I hope OFP never gets such cheats, it's fatal for multiplayer... sad.gif

There is two shorts that I don't understand, sorry. smile.gif

"CQB" and "IMO".

It'd be nice too know them.

Thanks.

IMO= In My Oppinion

IMHO= In My honest Oppinion

CQB= Close Quarters Battle

USP Pistol and Desert Eagle would be sweet. Even if not completely keeping with things. They would be awesome. biggrin.gif

I can imagine getting out of my M1A1 and whipping out a DE AE50 and finishing off those pesky infantry who were close to the tank. biggrin.gif

A Silenced Berreta for the Black Op guys would be a neat *toy* to play with. smile.gif

another point, since it's been stated that it wouldn't be realistic for every1 to have a sidearm, how about a knife? or a bayonet? some ak's come with an in-built bayonet. i have sneaked behind enemies b4 and pined for a knife to call my own.

this subject has been beaten to death witha rubber turd many many times..

I for one would LOVE pistols.. they would be very useful when moving though a dense jungle area where you can easly enemy at 10M or less.. yes you could spray them with yer rifle.. also a pistol could be held more stedily while RUNNING in ofp.. . try it yerself.. you can run at quite a good jog and hold a pistol semi-stready.. you cannot with a rifle..

I would say a deacent soldier could hit a man sized target while running at least once or twice with 10 shots from about 50-70 feet..

Sometimes people will refer to CQB as FIBUA

translation = Fighting In Built Up Areas

yes, when you turn the corner and are nose to nose with ivan..

I refer to it as AAGGHHH!! SHIT! BLAM BLAM BLAM!!!!

For the game you won´t get this close to employ a knife attack, even when humping them from behind in sneaky walk mode, they´ll turn around before you are in striking range.

Try to sneak upon a guard facing you with his back.

I guess in reality most, even a special forces member, would choose a silenced pistol over a knife, cause there are many things that can go wrong during a knife attack, such as the target could get into a handfight with the attacker, making it impossible to take him down using firearms when he´s wrestling with one of your teammembers, unless you want to get rid of your buddy, if that happens your stealthy approach is spoiled anyway. If he detects you before you can reach him, you armed with a knife and he with an assault rifle, it doesn´t take much imagination who will win this fight.

A well aimed shot into the head at close distance is easier and faster, without the risks you are taking with a knife attack.

The pistol issued could be based on your position. Like a tank commander in theory could get a Desert Eagle. Chopper pilots a beretta. Officers and Machine gunners a .45. Spec ops a silenced pistol. That would be nice, also a normal soldier could pick them off the dead or from some special crates. smile.gif

w00t what about the russians pistols!!!

how about the when you pop out of the tanks roof you have the ablility to use you're sidearm wink.gif.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Silencer @ Jan. 16 2002,15:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">w00t what about the russians pistols!!!

how about the when you pop out of the tanks roof you have the ablility to use you're sidearm wink.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

I think it's already been said that this is impossible to implement - shooting from a vehicle.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bluelaser @ Jan. 17 2002,08:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The pistol issued could be based on your position. Like a tank commander in theory could get a Desert Eagle. Chopper pilots a beretta. Officers and Machine gunners a .45. Spec ops a silenced pistol. That would be nice, also a normal soldier could pick them off the dead or from some special crates. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

A nice silenced socom would be perfect, but only the black ops guy's should get them, eveyone else should just get berreta 92. Did they use them back then, or were they still using the colt?

Guest Scooby

Rifle is manuverable enough. Especially when with many(most?) rifles you can turn stock aside.

For some odd reason while running in OFP soldier swings his rifle around like he would be handicapped. It is not hard to keep rifle steady while running.