Sign in to follow this  
Espectro (DayZ)

PC Gamer 1st look

As for the "Dynamic Mission System" -- well, it all depends on implementation. There's no way to tell yet whether they're talking about really large OFP-style missions, or something really complicated. Dynamic mission creation has been done before, and it usually results in rather boring ("cookie cutter") missions. Something that combines narrative and chance would be handy, but leaving things "completely dynamic" or even relatively so means from what I have seen huge expenses in development, QA and balancing for a game experience that is marginally worse than a scripted, mission-based system.

I am not worried too much.  wink_o.gif

It is my belief that (if BIS is truly prioritizing this concept) it can be done. I am actually quite certain in can be accomplished to a large degree already in OFP 1. wow_o.gif

I've got scripts and prototype systems for each of the possible 'dynamic' systems. I've done dynamic civilian population within cities. I've done a dynamic transportation server (like an ATC for all vehicles - even gives players orders to pick up AI squads when they call). I've even released a few (such as the SOW Dynamic Dialog Conversation System).

Other teams/scriptors have built some pretty useful tools also - don't even discount your own CoC_CE and COC_AoD!

The SOW team has pages of discussions about 'dynamic campaigns' and I've got 3 year old 'cookie-cutter' style MP missions/campaigns that have morphed into even more elaborate missions using some prototypes I explained above (also using your team's CoC Enemy Stack system as part of some of em none-the-less!wink_o.gif

The only limitations we've crossed in OFP 1 to prevent it from working efficiently and stable is that of the 3d models and 3d environment... such as # of groups, # of units, weather, types of units and how they work, and some other minor limitations (such as civ units always run when given a doMove command and they are part of a group - makes populated cities look kinda weird with everyone running around!!wink_o.gif

We as a community are ALWAYS trying to find work arounds for 3d models and their configs.... if that wasn't so limited... we'd have 100x the amount of different game styles already!

Scripting has been weird at times, but overall for such a basic scripting language, it is by far very powerful.

Putting it all together in an efficient manner without skimping on any features is BIS's only goal to acheive what they say in their 'New game'. Hopefully they can do it! They just need to remember the concept of 'flexibility' in all aspects of the game. Not just the scripting engine.

Going a bit off topic here but, i had the same proplem with civs running around every where with domove. To get around itj ust simply replace all the Domove commands with just Move and it all works fine, providing you Setbehaviour or SetspeedMode them first.

I was the person who sent OFP.info the E-mail regarding the PC Gamer's preview as i recieved it on the Monday morning, saw the Flashpoint feature accross the top yellow bar and instantly leapt to the the 6 page feast that was very nicely layed out and explained everything very clearly. I read it in around 20 minutes and am getting cravings again. Nothing seperates me from my baby. biggrin_o.gif

I'll read the rest of the magazine. Eventually.

Going a bit off topic here but, i had the same proplem with civs running around every where with domove. To get around itj ust simply replace all the Domove commands with just Move and it all works fine, providing you Setbehaviour or SetspeedMode them first.

Hate to clarify here as it is OT...but... Move only works when units are not grouped - otherwise whole group moves. My goal was to have each unit within a group move individually - only doMove does this.

In an attempt to stay ontopic:

Can anyone post the link of the original article? I can't find it.

I was the person who sent OFP.info the E-mail regarding the PC Gamer's preview as i recieved it on the Monday morning, saw the Flashpoint feature accross the top yellow bar and instantly leapt to the the 6 page feast that was very nicely layed out and explained everything very clearly. I read it in around 20 minutes and am getting cravings again. Nothing seperates me from my baby. biggrin_o.gif

I'll read the rest of the magazine. Eventually.

I had given WackyIraqi the link to OFPFiles where I had posted the article, so I guess he took it from that.

Ahhhhhhhh.....

It's from an actual magazine magazine.....

Those still exist? rofl.gif

Hi all

I just read the actual article it is six pages along with lots of good pictures including shots of a tank blowing chunks off a building. So both vehicles and buildings are destructable.

The models are far more detailed with better textures, guns trees, hills, vehicles all cast proper shadows even on to vehicles and buildings. The Osprey and the huey are in the new aircraft as a range of new fixed wing planes.

If you live in the UK you should go in and buy it.

Kind Regards Walker

The other thread can be used now.