Sign in to follow this  
red oct

NASA's Deep Impact going to Temple 1

kovan:-

Quote[/b] ]If an nuclear bomb explods in Manhatten, than all the houses would be destroyed, but the land Manhatten (I think it's an island, isn't it?) would be still there.

I aint no rocket scientist but i figure Newton's law will apply.

-A tiny tennis ball hitting a 20 feet Wrecker's ball will only bounce back with the Wrecker's ball remain still

-A tiny tennis ball laden with explosives hitting a Wrecker's ball will scar the surface or cause a crater. Wrecker ball will slightly move.

-A tiny tennis ball laden laden with high compact fusion energy hitting a Wrecker's ball may either cause a crater or if it is powerful enough, sent the Wrecker ball far away.

The good thing about science is that we can calculate what kind of damage base on the size of the carrier we want - total destruction or alter its orbit. Most dour scientists will prefer to err on the side of caution than over enthusiasm, thus explosions tend to be greater than anticipated. smile_o.gif

I'm pretty sure the millitary/NASA have a few works in progress to stop an asteroid heading for earth. After all we do all live on earth.

Lightspeed is a really neat topic. If we actually travel at the speed of light it would be awesome. If I went on a spaceship going the speed of light, time would go slower then on earth because time isnt constant. So Im up there for 2-3 years, that could mean that my kids would be older then me. Im not sure hw to explain this I havnt taken physics yet, but my friends and I have talked about this and once you grasp the main idea its pretty amazing.

The bad news about lightspeed is that it is impossible based on our current resources and technology, as according to Einstein. However, the good news is that we can achieve minimising the distance between 2 points ( the reason why we need lightspeed to reach a far destination) through a 'wormhole'.

'Dark matter' is another term for wormholes which had been discovered by the hubble telescope. Researchers at Berkly University are currently researching and recreating a tiny 'dark matter' in a laboratory and succeeded doing so in 2001 and is under refinement.

Teleportation of a tiny atomic particle from one point to another had been achieved last year as reported in the news.

Anti-gravity is no longer a myth but an acknowledged and accepted science fact published by no other than Einstein and finally gain approval from his peers in the scientific community this year.

Many more experiments are being conducted - which means, while we may not be able to travel to the moon or mars yet, but we can safely say that the first man on Mars or Saturn has just be born, and his sons will be the ones to reach out to galaxies beyond our own.

"Significantly" yet the orbit would be affected even if it is barely measurable. A collection of these events whether gravitational or impact related can alter a course significantly. Though I highly doubt there is any danger to the Earth, I found it amusing when NASA said the explosion was larger than they expected.

Whether the collision we just witnessed affected the comet Temple's orbit measurably depends on the sensitivity of the measuring equipment.   Then we can always get into a discussion about the meaning of significance.

Deflecting a comet/asteroid from a collision course with the Earth is mostly going to depend on how big the thing is and how much advance notification you have.  You don't have to deflect something very much if the potential collision is still decades away.  Fortunately, the bigger it is, the easier it is to spot and the more advance notification you have.

I get a bit concerned when a 60 m chunk of rock is only spotted a day or 2 after it passed very close to the earth, like what happened just a few years ago.   huh.gif

kovan:-
Quote[/b] ]If an nuclear bomb explods in Manhatten, than all the houses would be destroyed, but the land Manhatten (I think it's an island, isn't it?) would be still there.

I aint no rocket scientist but i figure Newton's law will apply.

-A tiny tennis ball hitting a 20 feet Wrecker's ball will only bounce back with the Wrecker's ball remain still

-A tiny tennis ball laden with explosives hitting a Wrecker's ball will scar the surface or cause a crater. Wrecker ball will slightly move.

-A tiny tennis ball laden laden with high compact fusion energy hitting a Wrecker's ball may either cause a crater or if it is powerful enough, sent the Wrecker ball far away.

The good thing about science is that we can calculate what kind of damage base on the size of the carrier we want - total destruction or alter its orbit. Most dour scientists will prefer to err on the side of caution than over enthusiasm, thus explosions tend to be greater than anticipated. smile_o.gif

And tennis ball sized clump of antimatter would vapourise the wrecking ball and create a whopping great crater. tounge2.gif

(1.2kg of antimatter is as energetic as a 25.77 megatons of TNT)

@philcommando

First of all, I'm not really sure, if Newtons laws are still valid, because in his opinion time was absolut and not relative.

But I'm not sure, so I won't say anything, but, let's get back to simple physics:

A body like Tempel 1 is really, really heavy and fast, so if you want to push it into another direction, you have to spend lot's of energie, to neutralise his impulse in the one direction.

(Was searching for any values concerning speed or weight, but didn't find anything)

So we've got his "weight x his speed == his impulse"

Now you need to know how much energy is set free with a nuclear explosion for example and than you can take a look if there is enough energy to blow this thing away.

S. Hawkings just said half a year ago, that travelling through wormholes is impossible.

Dark matter isn't even proven, it's just a theory that is based on the effect that the univers is expanding. Nobody did ever really proove that dark matter is there, because for us it's like a vacuum and we cannot meassure anything, which isn't there for us.

Quote[/b] ]Teleportation of a tiny atomic particle from one point to another had been achieved last year as reported in the news.

Actually you do not teleport particles. You take the information of one particle and than you pass it one to another one. So the old particle is destroyed, but a new one is born. No, imagine out of how many atoms and molecule the human body consists. And you have to read the information of each one, record it and pass it on to the others. And this is still a bit under lightspeed, because you have to pass it on with signals or cabels or so. confused_o.gif

Well, the time taken is literally zero over any distance, as the transmission is done via 'entanglement' otherwise known as 'superposition'.

The current methods being researched and tested (they can teleport one photon at the moment) involve these 'entangled' particles, where a change in the state of one particle is *immediately* reflected in the other entangled particle, no matter where it is in the universe.

But yes, at this stage they've only achieved it when dealing with single photons. Dealing with the complexity of even a single atom creates an exponentially mroe difficult problem, let alone anything like a human.

Especially given that you would have to capture all the states of all the particles at the same instant. Then safely transmit that data via 'entanglement'. And then collapse the data back into the normal particles all at the same time.

For more confusion, read up on "Schroedinger's Cat". wink_o.gif

But you always have to look for this new born object, so the light speed barrier is somehow still active. I have to admit, that I didn't understand this part, someone told me a few weeks ago but I forgot it again... whistle.gif

Anyway, I have really troubles continuing this conversation because I don't know the english terms....

Quote[/b] ]For more confusion, read up on "Schroedinger's Cat"

That's exacly what I mean. Schroedinger sais that you always have to look if an event happend, if you don't, you can't be sure if it really happens.

Einsteins answer on this was:

The moon will still be there, even if nobody looks at him. But you can't give an answer on this, because you can't prove it. The status of a system is always changed, if ou want to take a look. So the really original status can't be observed. (I hope anyone can understand me ^^)

Admittedly, they had to link two particles using a third intermediary particle in the past, when trying to entangle them.

But recently, an Austrian team have broken that by entangling two particles without any physical link between them (the two particles where 50km apart). I haven't found any details as to how.

Providing their method becomes more commonplace, it removes the need to physically link particles that are being entangled, and hence, removes the lightspeed barrier. smile_o.gif

removes the lightspeed barrier.  smile_o.gif

It's much easier to achive in OFP. tounge2.gif

Seriosly speaking - "almost" teleporting is like na "almost" perpetum mobile. It's "almost" possible biggrin_o.gif.

As for using nukes to change the course of a comet - you musn't consider energy. The concept here would be momentum. The nuclear particles emitted durring the explosion don't have enougth mass to have an effect on a big body. There is also no atmosphere to create a shochwave by heating up a lot of air to a high temperature. What could affect the comet would be the jet from violent vaporisation of it's own material - which would make some nice propulsion biggrin_o.gif.

As for light-speed-travel... why would you ever need it?

It's not like it has any practical meaning.

You would need lightspeed to solve the age of question. "What is really out there?" "Does space end, are there other beings out there?" Stuff like that. smile_o.gif

*EDIT* Also, it would cut the travel time on vacations to almost nothing!!!

You would need lightspeed to solve the age of question. "What is really out there?" "Does space end, are there other beings out there?" Stuff like that. smile_o.gif

*EDIT* Also, it would cut the travel time on vacations to almost nothing!!!

I think you really need it. Overpopulation, pollution, who knows. Mars will take a while to terraform, and other possibilities are not available in our solarsystem. I don't want to live in a huge space station!

I do expect there are other "species" out there in the univers, and if they'e like human beeing, they will have wars as well. So lieghtspeed is really needed, for exploration, for travelling, for escaping or for fighting. But one condition is that we, human beeing have developed an athmosphere of peace on our planet, and that we can't bring the war with us to other civilisations!

Amen xmas_o.gif

Not really worth making a new thread over so I thought I would ask here. What would an object need to be made of to burn green as it came in the atmosphere? I saw a falling start last night and it was a really bright green color and the biggest falling star ive ever seen. Usually they are little white streaks going through the sky but this one seemed rather slow and was a huge green ball.

I think it's Copper, isn't it? I remember that copper burns green.

Guys, stop the arguing, I think that 'Half-Life' proves that teleportation is definately possible.

Even if it DOES cause a resonance cascade..