Sign in to follow this  
stewan

FREEZE AND BACK TO DESKTOP - HISTORY OF CRASHES

Hmm..

I just experianced this problem too

I've got Kege's dxdll for OFP, and it keeps giving me errors about the d3d8.dll file.. upon moving the d3d8.dll file, I got the same error message as you Colossus.. *shrugs*

Also, when I try starting up BF2, after crashing OFP.. I get up an error message about RendDX9, saying "failed to create 3d device. Unknowned cause. Not available"..

Everything up until crashing OFP works just fine, its as if OFP messes up the 3d card or directX or something.. odd

anyway.. cheers

Joe

Often the D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE error message is related to badly installed gfx card drivers and/or DirectX.

Click start/run type dxdiag and click ok

In the display tab try all the tests, are they working ok?

I got it fixed, it was the driver.

Let's just hope there is no more errors comming.

I uninstalled the 71.89 display driver and installed the NVidia 66.93_win2kxp_international display driver.

Can anyone verify this?

i can confirm that going back to this driver fixed the most horrendous freezes, the longest it ran with the other drivers was around 30 minutes.

it seems that the symptoms aren't always the same, i had pauses, crashes to desktop and complete freezes, sometimes as early as the first splash screen.

i haven't tried the recent 77.72 drivers.

edit:

forgot to say that i'd tried absolutely everything here and on avon lady's site to correct the freezes and nothing worked until i used an older driver.

edit2:

i've now installed the 77.72 drivers and the game is rock solid, so either there is a problem with the drivers inbetween for some people or my driver installation was corrupt in some way (i had no problems in other games but you never know). i'm not masochistic enough to reinstall the 71.89 drivers to find out, hopefully this information might help others.

I can also confirm that 77.72 will fix this problem. I have been using it all weekend and into today without a single issue.