Sign in to follow this  
jankyballs

Opening .MSI files

Hey, Im trying to open a prematurely ended .MSI file and i want to salvage some of the files in it. Does anyone know of a demsi kind of thing, sort of like a depbo? I really need help for this.

Thank You

EDIT: Also, I have tryed using a program called MakeMsi (was supposed to have a msi decrypter) and it was loaded with viruses, dont dl it, it made me lose my internet for 7 hours, 7 long hours. I dunno if it was the place i downloaded it from or just the file itself.

same proble here, i gave up on it after 3 hrs of trial and error with various programs.

a workaround would be most appreciated.

Isn't MSI MicroSoft Installer or something? So it's sort of an .exe installer with .msi as ending.

Yes it is an installer but we need a sort of program that can decrypt MSI files and take the files out of them.

Fourty Seven views and 3 replies? Comon people please help us!

some .msi files can be unpacked with Winrar, then you have to use the program WinInstall IE, with that you get the name of the files and when you compare the seize of the files you can rename the unpacked files.

problem: it does not work with all

Start menu, run

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">msiexec /a "<Source>" /qn TARGETDIR="<Target>"

<Source> ... msi file path

<Target> ... target directory

working in ME, 2000 and XP

Edit: MrBurns, these being the results of 2 minutes search and found on a German site wink_o.gif

Start menu, run

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">msiexec /a "<Source>" /qn TARGETDIR="<Target>"

could you make that clearer please?

Start menu, run

<Source> ... msi file path

<Target> ... target directory

Edit: MrBurns, these being the results of 2 minutes search and found on a German site wink_o.gif

tried that method already, but the targefolder doesn´t even get created.

im a googler too  smile_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Oh boys, boys.

It is like any archive but a little more difficult to unpack.

If you have a Total commander 6 it should unpack it alright.

tried that method already, but the targefolder doesn´t even get created.

im a googler too smile_o.gifwink_o.gif

Tried that method too and everything worked fine ?!

Maybe it depends on the msi type rock.gif

Just an example of the line I used, which created the new folder and unpacked the msi:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">msiexec /a "E:\Downloads\OFP\Tools\CHOFPSE_Setup_260.msi" /qn TARGETDIR="E:\CHOFPSE"

was goin to try if i fucked up the quotationmarks but just remebered that i already got the files from someone who was able to unpack it  biggrin_o.gif

thx anyway  smile_o.gif

Your method is still not working Hardrock  sad_o.gif

The Targetfolder isnt being created  sad_o.gif

Wait, do I have to have the <>s on on the ends of the target and source?

Why don't you take Gordy's advice - install Total Commander - it's a great file manager and free to use. You can download it from here. When you install it then grab MSI plugin. This add-on will install automatically when you click on it - and you good to go.

I have tryed to unpack these msi files in Total Commander, but I dont see where they unpack to! I went into the .rar file, double clicked onto the msi file, selected unpack and execute, it does what it says and it trys to execute the file, but it still says it ended prematurely.

EDIT: Ok I see where its unpacking but the folder seems to be hidden or something (Its my LOCALS~1 folder) Is there any way to change the destination of the files?

Maybe try the other way - it seems to me that your msi file is inside a rar file (something like a double packed file), right? So hit return key to enter this rar file - you should see in TC that msi file, yes? Now select this msi file with insert key and just copy it - hit F5 key - to some folder (you can see it in the other window in TC - so choose any folder you want) on your hdd. It's really quite simple. But if you can't make it tell me where is this file and I'll unpack it for you. For free ;)

Ok, I did what you said but its still in .MSI format and its to big to send to you.

Sorry my fault. Now you should have a msi file somewhere on your disk yes? So do exactly the same steps with this file as you did with rar file. Hit enter on unpacked msi file and you should be able to see what is inside that file. Select with insert key all files or only the files you want to unpack and just copy them (F5 key) to some folder. I hope this time you can make it with no problems.

Sorry my fault. Now you should have a msi file somewhere on your disk yes? So do exactly the same steps with this file as you did with rar file. Hit enter on unpacked msi file and you should be able to see what is inside that file. Select with insert key all files or only the files you want to unpack and just copy them (F5 key) to some folder. I hope this time you can make it with no problems.

Ok, I selected the MSI and hit enter (or return key) and it just starts up again saying the file ended prematurely. I do not see what is inside the files. sad_o.gif

Héhé !

Are you talking about the .MSI VBS addons files ?

PIRATE !

Yep, that looks like your file is either corrupted or encrypted somehow. I'm sorry but I don't know how to check it sad_o.gif