Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

OFP2 interview

I see at flashpoint.ru an interview with placebo, but where i can find it?

Paul Statham, vom tschechischen Entwickler Bohemia Interactive, hat sich in einem Interview zu Operation Flashpoint 2 geäußert. Das Gameplay soll im Vergleich zum Vorgänger noch realistischer werden und daher wird die Software-Schmiede das Spiel nur für PC veröffentlichen. Eine Arcade-Ausrichtung der Kriegssimulation schließt Paul Statham komplett aus - schließlich ist der Realismus der größte Pluspunkt des Spiels. Ansonsten soll der Nachfolger mit toller Grafik und neuen Spielelemente überzeugen.

They want to retained the Gameplay, but compare with OFPCWC, OFP2 should be more relictic, so it will released only for PC.Arcade-orientation was completly exclude by Paul-after all realism is the biggest point in this game.The successor of OFP shall convinced with great grafic and new gameelemts.

Sorry, but i can't post the russian variant, because of many errors. sad_o.gif .

Look at flashpoint.ru,pls.

The provenance of this interview is in doubt. Do not rely on it. In particular placebo has never said that OFP2 will be for PC only.

It was posted on this thread yesterday. It was picked up by OFPEC and published with a warning but taken down this morning.

Does anybody know the original source? I have PMed 7,62 who posted it.

ah ok thanks macguba, i didn't see it yesterday. sad_o.gif

nur ---> only ?

@ May 17 2005,12:17)]ah ok thanks macguba, i didn't see it yesterday. sad_o.gif

nur ---> only ?

Yep, "nur" means "only"

Jens

OK I haven't quite tracked down the source but I've made progress. 7,62 reports that he got it from 4players.de: I couldn't find it on their site but it must be remembered that I don't speak a work of German, apart from "zwei biere bitte".

However I did find reference to it in their E3 section, and following back through a couple of German websites it seems that there was an original interview given by placebo in February of this year, possibly to a site called Hardwired although the link was down.

All of which suggests that this is a classic case of Chinese whispers: something that really was said in an interview gets condensed, reported, paraphrased and translated twice and at the end of it all the final version bears no resemblance to what was actually said.

Which in turn demonstrates the importance of finding the original source, and posting it, when you post a quote.

Why somebody is posting something from February in their E3 section remains a mystery.

This is what I think:

OFP2 is a story made up by suma just to keep us from revolting and killing the BIS team in rage... crazy_o.gif

It's evil...

Operation Flashpoint 2: Bunker Interview

Dixie Flatline, 2005. február 24. 15:28

Questions answered by Paul R. Statham, Community/PR Manager of Bohemia Interactive.

As we heard earlier, the game will be based on a theoretical conflict as well as the previous part of the sequel did. May you explain the situation of the Operation Flashpoint 2 (OFP2)?

The specifics of the conflict, the locations, sides involved, politics involved etc, etc are subjects that we consider important to the immersion of the game, much like the first game's setting and theme. As such we want to keep those things close to our chest at this point.

Bohemia Interactive took a pioneer role in the military game genre, however don't you think that nowdays this style has become too mainstream and thus the game market too competitive with titles like Battlefield, Joint Operations, etc? Will your game incorporate any unique features that will set it above the others?

Many of the games that came before Operation Flashpoint could already be considered mainstream, and of course many that came after have been mainstream. Operation Flashpoint took a pioneering role in the combat game market and continues to be a pioneer. Games may have challenged and surpassed Operation Flashpoint graphically but that's a natural process and is to be expected. There isn't a game that has competed with Operation Flashpoint in terms of simulating large-scale military conflict, on foot, in the air, at sea & in vehicles, simulating multiple squad conflicts over vast landscapes, some games have touched on those areas, offering different vehicles to use, offering a squad to control, but none combines all those things, despite the time that has passed since the release of Operation Flashpoint. Of course being a sequel it wouldn't be right to simply match the original game, the sequel will not only extend the scope of simulated large-scale warfare it will also introduce a number of completely new gameplay elements.

Will you keep the proven realistic theme of the gameplay, or can we expect a more arcade approach this time around? The predecessor featured realistic ballistics, shall we expect to see this feature in OFP2 on an even more sophisticated level?

When the original game was being created there was a vision of how it should be, what it should contain, the realistic aspects that it should contain, a desire to break the mould that had been created for previous "war games". That vision resulted in Operation Flashpoint selling over one million copies worldwide, for a debut game by an unknown developer it was a phenomenal success, that success would not have been possible if Operation Flashpoint were "just another arcade war game". The realism in the game is one of the reasons it sold so well, it would be poor business sense to remove the aspects that made the original game what it was, it would also upset the large and highly passionate community that has built up around the game since 2001, we don't want a lynching on our hands!

Nowdays it's vital for a game's success to give a fullscale support to the modding community. How modfriendly can we expect OFP2 to be?

The diversity, imagination and quality of addons created by members of the community for Operation Flashpoint are testament to the flexibility of the engine (and of course testament to the talented community that has built up around the game), they show that with their minds and our engine nothing is impossible. The sequel is based on a modified and enhanced version of the same engine so modding possibilities will continue to be limited only by imagination.

Shall we welcome release of OFP2 on the PC platform first with console ports following later, or have you already started cross-platform development?

We continue to work on the Xbox version of Operation Flashpoint, as well as the PC version of the sequel, that's enough for us to focus on at this moment in time.

that´s the interwiew! biggrin_o.gif but from february! crazy_o.gif

Hmm well let's just assume the best and say that an old interview I did got a little mangled in translation, rather than thinking some site deliberately twisted my words, which I'm sure wouldn't happen, either way E3 should see some much fresher things to read so we can forget this one smile_o.gif