Sign in to follow this  
lukemax

Re-install windows XP?

How do i re-install windows XP i got alot of virius and i want to start fresh? ( I've saved all my OFP work lol)

Thx

Luke

Do you want to reformat your whole drive or just reinstall windows?

He would need XP on a CD right?

You may have got one when buying your pc, but i didn't.

It`s soo simple, let`s start:

1. Install Kaspersky Anti Virus

2. Download Virus definition files

3. Run a full system scan with Kaspersky Anti Virus

Thats it.

Belive me, it will find every virus on your PC. There is no need to make a reinstall of XP. To get rid of viruses this way, you have to format every partition. When you backup files before, they also may contain viruses, so it all makes no sense if you not use a GOOD anti virus programm. wink_o.gif

I second that, i have put Kaspersky to the test navigating and dowloading stuff unprotected for 3 days and then instaling and updating it, aprox. 20+ viruses found and eliminated, it is also very light on the system so i leave it on when gaming without a problem, recomended smile_o.gif .

Try to boot from your Windows XP cd.

You can do this in your Bios (Set your primairy boot disk to your CDr player). Then when your computer starts up you'll have to hit a key to start from the XP Cd.( a black screen with text on top of your screen)

Or you can do this :

by pressing F8 ,with your XP cd is in the Cdr player when you start up your computer. And choose boot (or start) from CD.

Wait untill you have a blue screen with some choices.

Install Windows Xp, ...

You will have to delete and then format the partition that has Xp on it, and then reinstall your Xp.

To do so choose "install Windows Xp" first

and then you choose delete

and then format your partition

and install XP again.

Now get something to eat and drink cause the installation will take some time.

The easy way to solve some problems

get Hitman Pro

http://www.hitmanpro.nl/ (sorry this link is in dutch)

This program will kill alot of virus things and spyware.

I hope it helps you

@ lukemax

You will find Kaspersky Anti Virus on the cover CD/DVD of the computer magazine "CHIP". Kaspersky Anti Hacker too.

@ lukemax

You will find Kaspersky Anti Virus on the cover CD/DVD of the computer magazine "CHIP". Kaspersky Anti Hacker too.

Is this the full version? On the site for the Kaspersky Anti Virus program, it seems like it is a retail product (aka, not free). If the full version is included in "CHIP" I think I better go grab that magazine wink_o.gif!

It`s a full version, not the newest but top. It found every virus on my PC, burned CD`s and infected internet contend.

It`s a full version, not the newest but top. It found every virus on my PC, burned CD`s and infected internet contend.

It's found virus' that it knows about, the definitions are always days behind the release and infection of virus'.

It's best to make use of as many as you can get your hands on, personally I use AVG & housecall, but I don't use this computer for anything much more than gaming. Those that download alot or visit illicit sites every night are probably better off making use of more.

Put your Windows XP CD into your drive, then reboot. When your computer asks you to get into your BIOS setup, press the specified button. Under the boot menu, it will show the boot load order - ensure that your CD drive is on top of the list. Save and exit.

Your Windows XP CD will start copying all the files needed for setup. I recommend erasing every partition, and then redoing the partition scheme. I usually give the operating system its own 15 - 20 gigabytes partition, and I NEVER install anything on this partition (If you have a smaller drive, 5 Gigs will be enough for the operating system). For programs I have another partition (it is better to partition your drive for security purposes). The installation itself is painless, and it will ask you a few questions during setup (time zone, networking, etc). It should take around 40 minutes to do the install, depending on your PC.

Once the install is complete, go directly to the Windows Update site. Download every update that you see. There are some scary flaws in Windows that can allow an attacker to take over your system. It is VERY important to keep your computer up to date. (The latest flaw that I've read has to do with how Windows implemented their TCP/IP stack, and it could allow an attacker to take comeplete control.)

Once your updates are done, look into getting an anti-virus program. Afterwards, get a personal firewall (I use Sygate, but there are others as well, like Black Ice). You may also want to get a program that searches for spybots. Ad-Aware is good, but there are other alternatives as well.

Ensure that you have the latest patches for every program that you reinstall, and then continue on to installing Operation Flashpoint smile_o.gif

Hope that helps.

Reggy