Sign in to follow this  
INVISO

ONTOS M50

Yes I have added the feature to fire single shot or all at once. It might be possible to have a guy get out and manualy load (well, the get out part), but yea it might get too complicated.

Yeah I know KyleSarnik, It could be complicated. I just want to find the good balance between playability and realism, that all.

So the players can use "real" tactic to operate this vehicule or bust it out with a RPG. Whatever, keep the good work.

Btw, can someone tell me how to make a good O2 installation (A simple step by step) ? I d/l everything but there's something about virtual drive, and a lot of people seem to have problem installing/working with O2. Thanks.

Ok, thanks for the O2 installation, I found brsseb's tutorial. Very useful.

Update:

Ok, I got my model in O2. Everything is almost OK. Just a few artefacts that I will correct.

Need to reset Xform some objects.

Ok, sounds good, I was just wondering, what types of rounds does the M40A1C fire? Also, INVISO, are there any kinds of optics on the driver hatch or something he uses to see where he is driving, and if so did you include them in the model?

The M40 is a 106mm recoiless rifle. On the Ontos, the 2 lower gun can be dismounted for ground troops use, and the 4 top gun are fixed with a M8C .50 "spotting" rifle on top of each.

While hatch down, the drive can use a angular telescopic sight (Roughly the same as any OFP vehicule)

The gunner have at his disposal the same telescopic sight with a added optic target/rangefinder. I've found the real boresight drawing.

ontos13.jpg

I will make a new one based on that one. I just need the spec to make a new texture. Somebody can tell me?

Ok, I imported and refitted my old turret but I left the M40's as a reference for now.  Those will be replaced by new ones.

O2 picture

picture05.jpg

3DS Max picture

picture06.jpg

Everything is fine for now, no textures or geometry problems. I added some vertices on tracks as requested.

Some hinges needed for the front hatch, interior batteries textures and some .50 ammo casing.

I don't know about the .50 MG. Since it's supposed to be operated hatch up.

By the way, can I use bigger textures than 256x256? Could be useful to paint a none repeating camo.

Ok, i'm almost done. I had to remodel the M40, fix some minor bug and add a "personality" to it. Some pictures to come later.

Thank you gandalf the white, I've already made some test. 512x512 is a good balance.

looks awesome smile_o.gif

what about including a custom firing effect? or a wrecked model if the unit is destroyed? both would be pretty sweet!

or maybe the option to carry a few infantry dudes on the hull? biggrin_o.gif

Yes gandalf the white, if you look back some posts ago, many people suggest...

-Woodland and desert camo

-A wreked version

-A resistance version

-Improved armor

and many other features... For now, the model is, must I say, completed. I'm just cleaning the geometry groups and stuff to make it easier for scripting.

The M40A1 106mm RC Rifle fire standard HEAT but a special short range "jungle infantry cleaning" ammunition was developed called the "Beehive". And I still have the .50 problem. KyleSarnik suggest to use a already done MG.

AS for carrying troops... think again...

picture_real01.jpg

picture_real02.jpg

Anyway. This baby will hit the road soon.

looks awesome  smile_o.gif

what about including a custom firing effect?

Like... smoke? Or? Well yes smoke will be included and a script will be made to make the 6 rounds to come out of their correct launchers.

INVISO, looks really awsome, but placing it ingame would be easier if the model allready had some certian parameters applied. If you wan't I can send you a list of what needs to be done/added in order for it to be placed ingame, saves me the trouble of doing it myself, and well, im not really much of a modeler so it would probably go faster if you did them.

No prob KyleSarnik. I'm a little rusted with O2 stuff, but I put my first Ontos on wheel in OFP alone. Just give me clear indications and everything will be a smooth sail.

By the way, do you know how to change the optic? I have to make a new texture for it.

UPDATE:

I found Baconbomb tutorial about making custom optics views for Operation Flashpoint...

Don't worry everyones... I'm actually working on the O2's scripting. Czech to english is painful and O2 is no 3DSM.

I'm praying to have a OFP plugins in my 3DSM someday. Just imagine... modelling great 3D models, soldiers, vehicules, building, clicking here and there to define OFP specifics things and hit "send to OFP". Hope my dream come true some day.

More later.

What is a "town flattering machine"?

My Ontos is a actual vehicule that serve from 1953 to 1970. This ain't a town flattering machine.

He said "town flattening machine", flatten the town, as in blow the crap out of it. Anyways since I had nothint else to do with it yet, I begane to fine tune the weapons, adding scripts and effects and etc... But mostly im just waitin for that model smile_o.gif

Thank you KyleSarnik,  I have the learn to read between the line! (haha).

The model is OK, I've just got some problem with LOD and stuff (otochHLaven, poklop_driver...). I didn't created a sub geometry for the fire geo lod too....

OtocHlaven, that is part of the turret, I think its for the part that rotates left and right, and OsaHlaven is up and down, though I might have them mixed up. Poklop_driver is the drivers hatch that opens when he turns out, same for all crew members (poklop_gunner, etc...), anymore you need to know?

I know, I've already figured out those. I've d/l some BIS p3d models and reverse engineered them. Crew placement will not be easy, but I'll get to it.

I've got the czech/english translation in hand, but mispelling is easy and O2 isn't intuitive.

I need to model a simplified 3D model for the Fire geometry LOD I think.

Yes, geometry LODs need to be alot more simple, as for complex geometry objects cause weird collision problems, so use a lot of boxes and such.