Sign in to follow this  
cbfasi

Heights and Water

I creating a map that has a similiar tidal range as currently setup for OFP, that is that 5m range...

Now heres the tricky bit...

If visitor (or the other wrp editors) report a height of 0m, how does that related to the tidal postion of the water...

Is it the height of low tide?

Is it a height midway between the high and low tide..

(I already know its not the top of the tide)

Only reason is the map I have has 2 rivers with sandbars and channels, the channels are only 1m deep at low tide and thus woudl allow movement between the 3 'islands', but of course at high tide there is 6m of water and thus you woudl need either an amphib or aboat to cross then...

Can someone answer this one?

(if anyone says serach I will point out that a search using 56k on a topic that coudl be under many many words should realise time is an issue)

I believe that it is a mid point between the two. I actually think that the tides are defined by coordinates given in the config and it automatically defaults to a certain coordinate if those dont exsist.

Quote[/b] ](if anyone says serach I will point out that a search using 56k on a topic that coudl be under many many words should realise time is an issue)

I know your pain

Your right about the tides being related to the co-ordinates in the terrrains config, this affects the timing of the tides, as in when the times of High and Low water are. The range of 5m is apparanlty unaffected by the co-ordinates

These co-ordinates also affect the times of daylight and night and as such the correct co-ordinates have been used from the start.

I thought about this 0m being mid point but am unsure as I have also seen it mentioned about land flooding when its set below 5m, so I am unclear

Solved it

The former is correct...

0m on the wrp map seems to equate to the LOW tide level.

this means that HIGH tide is the 5m figure that has been known about..

I know I will find this helpful and I hope others will too...

Jan 01, 12AM (Midnight) is a good test time smile_o.gif

I found that out the hard way

I had created a 'measuring pole', simply a box with 1m meter marks runnign up it, i placed it at at 0m level and then ran a mssion with a skiptime script, and just watched the tide go up and down and up and down, that way I saw the full range.

A little question for any Island makers , can the tidal effects be switched off or set to 0 ?

From what I have read on many of the forums its not possible to change the tidal range to 0 (I really wish I could).

All I can suggust if use the above factros I found to make your island as best as it canbe, if you can make the 5m tidal range useful then go ahead, it does produce soem very very nice affects.