Sign in to follow this  
FireflyPL

Multiple bomb drops

Today, I ve been watching some videos and something came to my mind. Is there any addon (I dont have any knowlege of such) or is it possible to make multiple bombs drops from an aircraft? I would like to see some addon, where it would be possible to drop more than 1 bomb i very close period (like a second or so) and how to make it? Maybe some script would work for already made addons? Any ideas?

There are ways you can simulate it by using the "camcreate" function that creates bombs next to an aircraft. I used this on an "ARC LIGHT" B-52 strike using an old B-52 addon.

I used a getpos script to put the B-52 at a fairly high altitude flying along a waypoint set to "careless" and with ammo set to empty. When the bomber hit a trigger the carpet bombing script would run. It actually worked fairly well except for the problem that I can't figure out how to camcreate the bombs about 3 meters below the bomber so that the plane doesn't collide with the bombs. So sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't without the bomber colliding into the bombs and blowing up. But when it works it looks fairly spectacular seeing lines of explosions.

If someone can help me with that collision problem I'll make a nice demo carpet bombing mission for people to use as a template and modify with whatever bomber they want.

This way aircraft won't do the usual dive bombing. Seeing a B-52 divebombing is interesting but not very realistic.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Ok but then if I make this by camcreate command then will bombs fall stright down or would they have parabolic flightpath like when you drop them from aircraft?

Oh and one more thing Miles, why are you not putting any newer missions on your web site? I can see only very old missions without good looking addons. Please put on some even if you make them just for yourself (havnt found that Arc Light mission there)

Maybe u can combine camcreate with setvelocity? It will be some recalculating to get proper data from "getdir" and "speed" of dropping plane but u will have initial data for setvelocity of bomb.

Maybe u can combine camcreate with setvelocity? It will be some recalculating to get proper data from "getdir" and "speed" of dropping plane but u will have initial data for setvelocity of bomb.

Well yea but then there is another problem. If I make it with camcreate command then players wont be able to cal for CAS mission and randomly choose their target. So is there really no other way to do it? I ve seen it is possible on VBS but then it should be possible in OFP dont you think?

With the WGL mod it is possible to call for CAS via radio. wink_o.gif

With the WGL mod it is possible to call for CAS via radio. wink_o.gif

Yes I m aware of it. But I would like to combine this things, multiple bombs drops and CAS, or rather being able to drop multiple bombs from aircaft at any mission and any target i want, even without such hard coding like triggers+camcreate

Hmm...

And what about using evenhandlers?

For instance plane is dropping bomb, and u r creating some more ones? It should be "AI friendly".

It can be a little unrealistic (count bombs dropped by one plane), but u can remove some before flight (i hope so).

I'm not scripter, so it is only "wishfull thinking" that it can work...

If the target is within the limits of the ammos range and you config the reload times,planes should drop multiple bombs.

The F4U addon did this,I set the reload time so AI wouldn't drop all their load.They also were wasting rockets.You surely can config your addon to drop multiple bombs as long as target is still within range

Sorry I guess I didn't explain that it DID but doesn't now,I had to cut back on the wasted ammo

I was just saying that if you shorten the bombs reload time and the min/mid/max range of the ammo is long distance,a plane will drop multiple bombs

ACES will contain the option to switch salvos on bomb drops. Means you will be able to choose between 1 and 2 bombs that are dropped at once. The last year I unfortunately had paused this project for over half a year because of private reasons, but now work started again.

When the bomber hit a trigger the carpet bombing script would run. It actually worked fairly well except for the problem that I can't figure out how to camcreate the bombs about 3 meters below the bomber so that the plane doesn't collide with the bombs.

You could try my old CalcRelPos function to determine the spawn position in your script. It calculates a new position relative to a given object based on direction and distance (horizontal and vertical) from that object.

well if you camcreate any bomb that is laser guided it will always lock and follow the laser to the target.

also you can do an "carpet" bombing with reload speed stuff but you run into the problem of dive bombing and if the reload is set to high the bombs smack each other and explode. it is very tricky to blanace the reload time and proxy positions.

the best would be an script.

ACES will contain the option to switch salvos on bomb drops. Means you will be able to choose between 1 and 2 bombs that are dropped at once. The last year I unfortunately had paused this project for over half a year because of private reasons, but now work started again.

What is this project? Sounds very interesting!! Is it script or mod? Any info about it?

i usualy use the carpet bombing script by Apricot, located at http://www.ofpec.com/editors/

This bombing script sufferes from the same problem that the one I made has...the bombs detonate on the airplane and destroy it sometimes. Also It doesn't seem to want to drop the bombs in a row. The width part is fine, but it looks unrealistic seeing a big line of bombs suddenly all hit the ground at the same time. The script I made looked much more realistic. However I kinda found a way around the problem by making several waypoints next to each other that have the best settings I could manage on the bomb script so that now it looks a little better.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

snyprs sp/mp support pack at ofpec

u can modify the airstrike script to anything you want

want plane u want, what height the flight of the plane, number of bombs dropped , number of planes

u can even see the bombs dropping

i even created mad cluster bombs using footmucnhs f15 addon

i reckon if u want multiple bomb drops

check it out

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/spt_pack.php