Sign in to follow this  
DnA

Conquest

VERYYYYY quiet, so quiet u can hear me typing this as we speak, helllloooooo, does anyone who makes conquest still look at this?

Yeah, come on, geez you guys. You get this great idea for a mod, get everyone excited about it, then don't tell us a damn thing.

If you expect anyone to actually play this thing, you need to let people know what's going on so we can create some hype! I had all my LAN party friends wanting to play, and now we've all forgotten about it.

WAKE UP! mad.gif

Hi,

I am a member of the Conquest team, doing mostly scripts. I am sorry for the lack of updates lately. Rest assured that we are still working on Conquest, but you must see that we are doing nothing short of creating another game within OFP and our goals are high.

The reason for the lack of updates is simply that our problems are very technical in nature, e.g. we are creating no new models we can post screenshots of.

For example, I have been working for some time on a script that makes a group follow waypoints. Now you ask: Whats that good for? OFP already has that. Thats true, but in Conquest we need totally dynamic, deletable, movable, editable waypoints, whereas in OFP the waypoints are rather fixed once the mission starts.

Many other problems we have to deal with are of that sort and I hope you understand we can't much about it in public.

Hopefully, I can soon (1-2 month) finish my Command Engine 2 (for the first version take a look at the Code snippets section of www.ofpeditingcenter.com). This will handle all the Command & Control of the groups by the player.

Please be patient,

Spinor

Sorry, just frustrated, the game looks freaking awesome and I wanna play! smile.gif

Over the years I've seen a lot of mods that looked really promising go down the toilet, and since you guys hadn't posted or updated anything in so long, I was thinking maybe Conquest was done for sad.gif

Just a note to say you're alive and things are progressing once in a while is cool.

So, any new estimates on how long before we get to play with the beta? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So, any new estimates on how long before we get to play with the beta? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

............I knew he'd say that biggrin.gif

As I said, I will probably finish the Command Engine in about 1-2 month and will release it as a standalone.

This will already give you the opportunity to command other squads, thus play the general. I'm trying hard to make it as MP-compatible as possible, so hopefully you can already match it out with someone else.

For Conquest, the biggest chunk that is missing is the enemy AI which is only in a very preliminary state and I really can't make any serious estimate when it will be finished.

I can imagine it's a daunting task. I had to do some serious work arounds with my RTS missions to make them dedicated server friendly. There's so much stuff that works great when testing on a local machine, but the minute you stick it onto a dedicated server it goes to hell.

The main problem is propogating certain actions and such to each client. Still, this sounds like fun even in SP mode. Hopefully BIS will make even more improvements and enhancements to the scripting language that will make it much easier to acomplish certain things.

Good luck!

Cool, we've got a discussion going smile.gif

I didn't think anyone even read this thread anymore. I'm just happy to see progress is being made. I can't wait to get 20 people at a LAN party, split them into two groups, set them up in separate rooms, and spend the next 10 hours trying to kick their asses and take over the island biggrin.gif

As has been said before, we're first going for a singleplayer version, since we can work out the entire AI script and gameplay tweaking without having to worry about publicVariables and all smile.gif

well drjonez your discussion didn't last very long did it? wink.gif

The first thing I thought of when I learned how to create vehicles in OFP script was this same kinda idea. I messed around a bit with making tanks when you reach points (or money, like RTS style). It's very cool work in a game like OFP. I have a question on this though. I see that you don't have the option to 'buy' new men. Like have a bunkers or something and make new men. I found this really difficult for a number of reasons. Mainly is because I found no way to identify a newly created person. They are just created and can't seem to be controlled. I thought of another idea, that seems really shoddy, but I could create a bunch of men off map somewhere, and then when you buy one they are moved and can be controlled. Anyway, any idea on how to get the name of and controll newly created people?

Also, has anyone here checked out Command and Conquer Renagade? This sounds like the same kind of game, but have not played it yet. I like to hear from anyone that has played it, to see how close it is to the Conquest project.

Yes, you are right, the CreateUnit command is more difficult to use than CreateVehicle because it does not return the unitname like:

_tankname = "M1Abrams" createVehicle (getmarkerpos "tankFactory")

The easy way to circumvent this is simply to not refer to the spawned man at all, but to the group it is spawned in. You have to create the unit anyway in an existing group:

"SoldierWB" createUnit [getMarkerPos "barracks", groupAlpha]

If you want to move the unit, move the group  biggrin.gif

But if you really need to control the specific unit you can actually identify the created unit by using an init string within the createUnit argument. If you use

"SoldierWB" createUnit [getMarkerPos "barracks", groupAlpha, "CreatedSoldierWB = this"],

you should be able to refer to the unit with CreatedSoldierWB as name, e.g. you can have him make a chat like

CreatedSoldierWB sideChat "I think, therefore I am."

The only annoying thing is that you have to create the unit in an existing group, but even this can be avoided by making the newly created unit to join GrpNull, thus creating a new group. In a trully dynamic RTS style mission you then only have to take care of to not violate the 63 group limit.

er.... yeeahhh... i get ya smile.gif how long till we can play conquest biggrin.gif

Any new news on the progress you've made?

Thanks.

how long till we can play this your site hasent been up dated since 12-01-2002 what new news is there r u still making this or what PLZ tell us i really whant to play this

Hi there! If you want to play RTS in Operation Flashpoint than try out Dynamic CTF. This Project has become really advanced and is working in Multiplayer 100% without any loss of great features! You can build Vehicles, conquer towns and have a whole war on your favourite OFP-Island. We have nearly finnished Version 1.1 of Dynamic CTF and you can download a beta-test demo version on http://powermage.dyndns.org/ofp/. There is also a manual. Read it to get a glimpse of all it's features! This version is including new special vehicles like transport helicopters, mobile artilery and flak. You can also build your own assault base anywhere on the map with the mobile base! Check it out! It's hot! wink.gif

Also visit official discussion forum for DynamicCTF at www.planetofwar.com!

How about you conquest guys begin creating a "daily changes" log on the website?

This has even been done for commercial game development.

(You might get a lot of feedback from the audience, but even so make sure you resist "feature creep" - make sure anything you actually add works correctly, instead of adding new all the time)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PowerMage @ June 19 2002,01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://powermage.dyndns.org/ofp/<span id='postcolor'>

If you're gonna post such an url, I'd expect you to make sure it worked. It surely does not now.

I heard that Conquest has been put on hold for a little while, so be patient smile.gif

RED

It must be dead, there would have been some news by now if it were alive.

RED

All this surely smelled good but it also seems to be a huge task.

Maybe they're working hard and don't have time to update the site nor give news ..... confused.gif

Just hoping project has not been dropped. It's always sad to see such great quantity of work bein' wasted.

IMHO it has just been slowed a little.

Sometimes people just have other things to do .

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Yes,</span><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:grey'>darling, i'm coming ...</span> wink.gifbiggrin.gif </span>