Sign in to follow this  
Rellik

Duplicate files in Addons and Res\Addons

I wanted to improve performance a little so I wanted to do some addon organization. I noticed that i have duplicate addons in the "addons" folder and the "res\addons" folder. One file, 6G30.pbo, is 380kb in the res\addons folder (and also on the res CD), but the same 6G30.pbo is 2835kb in the OFP addons folder. "Bizon.pbo" is 387kb in res\addons and 377kb in OFP addons. Also, some addons are just same-sized duplicates, like ABox.pbo, Apac.pbo, etc... Do both duplicates get loaded into the RAM unnecessarily, and if so, which one should i delete? Thanx!

I think the ones in the addons folder get read and the ones in the RES/Addons don't when lauching Resistence. I am not sure so you can try to experiment. Move the PBO from the res/addons out of the OFP directory and try to launch resistence and see if it works.

EDIT- Also I believe that this goes into the troubleshooting section, so you know in the future.

2nd Edit- Im probaly wrong. Ignore me. I should of kept my mouth shut. tounge_o.gif

I think the troubleshooting is just for serious bugs and hardware issues.

Anyway, I did read the Avon Lady's guide on making separate addon folders for different mod paks, like the Ia Trang Vietnam island and missions.

Now i did try temporarily deleting all the duplicates in the res folder and I got "missing addons: BIS resistance", so that can't be it. Did a restore from the recycle bin and it went back to normal.

I think the ones in the addons folder get read and the ones in the RES/Addons don't when lauching Resistence.

Actually, when launching resistance, all the addons in the Res\Addons folder are read , and must never be deleted.

I am not sure if the old CWC addons (the ones in Addons , not in Res\Addons) are always read when launching the game, but testing will give you the answer.

I am not sure if the old CWC addons (the ones in Addons , not in Res\Addons) are always read when launching the game, but testing will give you the answer.

It seems obvious that when you have one named file in two folders and they are of different size (see 1st post), that deleting the smaller one would be a safe bet. However, the larger version of the 6G30.pbo addon is in the old addons folder, and the smaller version is in res\addons crazy_o.gif .

The JAM2 weapons were in both res\addons AND addons folders, so i got rid of the set in the res\addons. I should probably move it back to the res\addons folder then smile_o.gif

When using unofficial addons , like JAM , you should use mod folders , to keep the Addons and Res\Addons section clean and more performing.

I think I'll do that just to clear things up. Thanks for the hint Sanctuary.

You can delete the whole addons folder, many people never had it in the first place. The only problem could be unofficial addons in the addons folder which are missing afterwards. But if you have duplicate addons in addons and res\addons those from the addons folder get NOT used anyway, so deleting those is safe.

For a list of official addons see here and here.

I had this tool once that checked for useless and outdated addons. Don't know how the was called, but you could also download addons with it. I believe I've seen it on the main page on this site.

My personal take on this is to leave the official addons alone and in their respectice places, and instead go about organising the unofficial ones properly smile_o.gif

Thats the best way, but it seems that it is too complicated for many users, especially if they have "grown" folders and do not even know when they put what where and why wink_o.gif

Thats the best way, but it seems that it is too complicated for many users, especially if they have "grown" folders and do not even know when they put what where and why wink_o.gif

Pffffffah, the game's been out over 3.5 years, and you still have n00bs wandering about. Kch crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifwink_o.giftounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

My personal take on this is to leave the official addons alone and in their respectice places, and instead go about organising the unofficial ones properly smile_o.gif

I agree with that. Just organise the unofficial addons and mods you download. Best to leave official stuff alone.