Sign in to follow this  
Tarados Qeng

Shatterpoint 1986 Campaign

Hi all, this topic is about the

Shatterpoint 1986 campaign designed by the Futility Beyond Imagination team.

Shatterpoint 1986 is a work-in-progress full scale campaign designed for OPF: Resistance with as little addons as possible. The only one you'll be needing is an editor addon by General Barron. (Dl it by clicking here.).

Shatterpoint 1986 has been designed for quite a while, at the moment we are concentrating our efforts to missions 9 and 10. All together, the campaign will include 16 missions plus many cutscenes.

The Shatterpoint campaign tells you the story of Ltn. Thomas Harris. It's year 1986, and the Soviet forces led by Colonel Bobrikov have occupied the Northern parts of Everon while NATO holds South Everon. In the first mission Ltn. Thomas Harris will take command of a small NATO camp in Chotain, far from the front line. Or far from what he thought was the front line...

The F.B.I. portal includes info about characters and storyline, beta downloads (a new version will be coming out in a couple of weeks), project updates and news. In addition, you are more than welcome to F.B.I. forums at http://www.futilityforums.tk. Your comments will be appreciated.

-Tarados Qeng

F.B.I. Project Leader (Shatterpoint 1986 WIP)

Mission Designer & A person who does a lot of other cool stuff

I love it when new campaigns come out, but what annoys me is that so many of them are made on Everon! Its an old Island, and everyone knows it in and out. If it was made on fex Malden, I could convert the campaign to fdf desert Malden. Too few campaigns/missions are made on desert Islands. Why not make a campaign on Tonal? Everyone has it! When Remo's Afghan Everon comes out, though, I wont be complaining;)

Why not make a campaign on Tonal? Everyone has it!

Actually, I don't. wink_o.gif I got broadband just a while ago, after we had started making this campaign. biggrin_o.gif

Why not make a campaign on Tonal?  Everyone has it!

I dont have it either. biggrin_o.gif Its to buggy. But I look forward to your new campaign and good luck.

Thanks.

Btw, are there any Swedes, or people who are able to talk with Swedish accent? If you are that kind of person, contact me immediately - we're still lacking the voice actor for Jacob Larsson. Larsson is player's alter ego in chopper missions, so you'd need to record more than a couple of lines.

The beta release is closing, probably this week or start of the next one. So that's looking good.

But what's not looking good is that we still lack some voice actors. See the list of available roles here.

I am downlding it. I hope I will be able to test this demo pack as soon as possible. If it will be good enough, I will post it on the site. smile_o.gif

Some really great news!

Our new computer (Athlon 64 3400+,1024 Gt, X800 Pro) has had stability problems with OFP. So, we have been forced to use our old comp (Athlon 1,4 GHz and GeForce 2 Pro) for Shatterpoint 1986 designing and testing. The comp's quite old and it has difficulties running heavy OFP missions, like our campaign's mission 11, a major ground assault with air and armored support etc.

Well, we have managed to locate what has caused severe crashing when testing Shatterpoint missions or Calamity's great beta mission Half-Time with our new PC. The reason was our sound card, and when I made the comp use the built-in AC'97 chip, the problems disappeared. At least I hope so.

So, this means that we can test our missions more easily, which will probably be good for quality.

---

Also, I'd appreciate it if anyone could test these missions.

Let me guess the sound card causing problems was a Soundblaster Live? smile_o.gif

Tarados,

I just tried 3 of your missions. Behind Enemy Lines, Counterblow and Rescue. I realize that there was probably a lot of effort put into making these, but i just could not get into these missions like i would with the original BIS missions or campaigns. Some things seemed very forced. Like for instance Behind Enemy Lines, i swear i've played that mission before in the BIS campaign (Saboteur and HindAttack)except the locale was different, task was the same: blow up some helo's, and armor as a blackop using satchels and LAW's. But i think it might just be my perception but, it seemed like you were spawning enemy soldiers right in front of me in a couple of the missions(definitely bad for atmosphere)

In counterblow, it played like Taking Command in the CWC Campaign except in this one you get raped by enemy armor, 2-3 BMP's, 3-5 MBT's, 2 Urals full of troops, and at least 2 more Mech. Inf Platoons. And your best hope to survive after you've taken the town is to call in all support.

Needless to say you like throwing a lot of challenges at the player all at once. Retry factor seemed a bit high in these two missions.

In Rescue, which i have not completed yet...the odds are much more fair. But i still saw things like random spawning of enemy forces right in front of me.

Maybe it's just because i havent played the first four missions yet, that its difficult to immerse into Shatterpoint, but i still come away feeling like there are some critical elements lacking here which need to be addressed.

Lastly voice acting, i dont know if these are your final voice dialogues but, they need work. Their language usage is a bit akward at times and on top of that most of the voices sound like Andre the giant.

Hope this helps, keep up the hard work

Thanks for testing and feedback. smile_o.gif

Random spawning... There shouldn't be any. Hmm. Strange.

Voice acting is mainly temporary, done by me with some sound effects. Still looking for real actors, many yankee, two russian and one swedish accent is needed. (If someone wants to be a voice actor, then contact me via e-mail or this thread or anything.)

Thanks again.

Hmm... The mission that we're now developing really needs a high-end computer to play. I'm having frame rates around 20-25 when using 1,2 km drawing distance and low terrain quality. (With OFP Benchmark of 6410-6900 - dunno why it varies.) Gotta find some way to make it run smoother.

Right... Today I've tried to modify mission seven to be a playable multiplayer coop mission. Expect a release soon. smile_o.gif

I'm getting really tired on these hosting issues... We have had to move the site for at least five times. Now, I hope these urls will no change anymore:

Project site:

http://futility.techdezign.net/

Forums:

http://futility.techdezign.net/phpBB/

Project Image Gallery:

http://futility.techdezign.net/gallery/

Nothing special about the campaign itself, a campaign form beta will prolly be released when mission 11 is finished. Still lacking some voice actors.

Sorry sad_o.gif

futility.jpg

You could always look into being hosted by one of the news sites such as ofpbase, ofp.info, gotf etc. some of those offer hosting for people smile_o.gif

Yep, I'm strongly considering that.

But probably that's just a temporary downtime, hope it'll be back soon.

It was not a normal downtime. The hosting company changed owner, and my account was transferred. The site is somehow up and safe, but the domain changed. Again. (Too bad that I had already submitted the link to 2-3 OFP sites.)

Well well. Here once again the urls. The forums don't work just yet.

Project site:

http://futility.krhmhosting.com/

Forums:

http://futility.krhmhosting.com/phpBB/

Project Image Gallery:

http://futility.krhmhosting.com/gallery/

I think that our original mission design on 'Delusions' (mission 11) was too simple. So, today we've modified it a bit to make it more complicated. Of course, these modifications delay the release of the beta thing for a while, but I want to do this properly.

Btw, I played mission one (The First Morning) today with FDF mod. It worked fine and felt quite good. But I wonder what the **** was I thinking when I added a bus driving happily along the road not a mile from the war zone, and even towards the front lines. crazy_o.gif Gotta remove that.