Sign in to follow this  
Zander

bump mapping ?

ok thanks for the definition but im a professional graphist computer and i know what is bump mapping

since some of you dont understand what is bump mapping i will do some renders with 3dsmax later.

maybe you will understand that "basic" bump maps dont project shadows.

problem is you dont understand the difference between a non-lightned face and a projected shadow

there is a new kind of bump maps with self shadows but as i said it use too much resource for real time render.

hmm sorry for my english i hope you understand what i say crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]since some of you dont understand what is bump mapping i will do some renders with 3dsmax later.
Done by me but i made a simple one wich i think many not understand please make i better one as i wink_o.gif .

lol this has nothing to do with bumpmapping. For me its a simple texture filter like Emboss or Bas relief. And this is not new can be done in all games or engine who can map polycons or faces. What you all mean is Dot3 bumpmapping or environmental bump mapping. And this has something to do with the light direction. And like the name says it is a typ of mapping and not a texture filter you need 2 textures for bumpmapping the normal with colour and than a black and white or in nvidia bumpmaps violet colour Doom3 users know what i mean, for bumpmapping. but this cant be done with the ofp engine like DeadMeatXM2 says only in DXDLL like Kegetys says.

Such stadig effects has some problems: we use a simple brick texture with such effect from the right site the bricks looks like stamp inside the wall and from the left side they look like stamp outside the wall. The shadows and lights on this texture are not corect becouse they were greated in a 2d graphig programm wich use a lightsource who does not exist in the game.

And if the bug has bumpmaps than i can use displacement maps in ofp lol. tounge_o.gif

edit: ups i was to late,.. DeadMeatXM2  explan it right  smile_o.gif .

no you dont need 2 textures for bumpmapping

Yes i know one bumpmap texture,... but i mean the bug texture wich has colour and there you need 2 the colour texture and the bumpmap texture for realpumbmapping but this bug has only one must have one because ofp cant handle real bumpmaps. without dxdll.

http://www.multiplaymediacenter.de/Bis_Forum/index.htm this is done with only one texture but as you can see there is no colour smile_o.gif .

anyways this is gettign rediculous

the bump maps i create with doom3 or the plug in are rgba

cloured ones having seperate channels in r g b

so the basic bump consits of these 3 colours

i know quite good wot the height scale diffuse and bumpmaps OR ASWELL CALLED Normal maps (!!) are.

AND I never said i have bump maps with self shadowing!

(this can be acheived another way, so if ur clever and can thinka roudn the corner and are not tunnel minded ul ge behind it!)

i dunno where ur definition is from but anyways

the effect of bumpy textures can be achieved in many ways

listen if u dont believe me fine!

ill keep my stuff for me

ill keep the uap uscm mod and new bugs for me

POINT!

anyways this is gettign rediculous

the bump maps i create with doom3 or the plug in are rgba

cloured ones having seperate channels in r g b

so the basic bump consits of these 3 colours

i know quite good wot the height scale diffuse and bumpmaps OR ASWELL CALLED Normal maps (!!) are.

AND I never said i have bump maps with self shadowing!

(this can be acheived another way, so if ur clever and can thinka roudn the corner and are not tunnel minded ul ge behind it!)

i dunno where ur definition is from but anyways

the effect of bumpy textures can be achieved in many ways

listen if u dont believe me fine!

ill keep my stuff for me

ill keep the uap uscm mod and new bugs for me

POINT!

lol relax nephilim i was not talking to you but DeadMeatXM2

i ve seen nothing wrong in what you said

uhm, sorry guys i don´t get the point. why are you so eager to proof that nephilim is wrong? for me it seems she knows what she is doing. so lets wait and see goddammit.

ah by the way. Deadmeat you seem to have some really big issues to solve crazy_o.gif

i dindt talk to ya either m8

i mean this stupid attitude is why so many good people left the community

light on soldier not possible?

hmm

ofp demo?

inquisitor?

uscm?

and last but not least

halo mod?

missiels on cars?

hmm

fishkops humvees?

reflections?

hmm

kegetys?

multiple turrets?

hmm

klink?

all this stuff is fake cuz ofps engine cant handle it!

u guys are all brain washed!

a mass hypnosis!

WAKE UP!

i feel sorry for people who arent creative enough to think of diffrent solutions!

even keg said bumps are possible

thank u guys

cheers

i go and have a beer

some moderator plz delete my account

thx

Quote[/b] ]some moderator plz delete my account

hmm...

and all that stuff is not fake.. and the ofp engine can handle it.. have you used c klinks boat.. have you used kegetys reflections, have you played with the Mcars.. (i think thats what they are called tounge_o.gif..)

erm.. thats it  rock.gif

[someone look at his sig]

...and manticore has made reflective surfaces (and trust me, ive seen the pics)

think about everything people have said wasnt possible:

lights on people/weapons : done by inq and the halo mod

reflective water: done by kegety's

and anyways, PC and such made some cool looking partial bumpmaps... so whats the point in bothering if it looks just as cool anyway

actually, the term 'bump map' is soo wide... Ill make one right now  wink_o.gif (well, IMO its a texture that appears to have depth)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/HuNtA/mybumpmap.jpg

and PS: he... is a she

Can everyone please come down a bit.

Bump mapping in OFP is an interesting thing and I do not want to see this thread be closed instead of having some creative ppl together, finding sloutions and break some OFP engine limitations!

MfG Lee mad_o.gif

@ bratty

im still a female

@oswald

anyone plz close tis anyway

doesnt have sense to talk to ppl who are such stubborn

Just to clear this up a bit:

You probably all mean the same thing, but what DeadMeat tried to point out is that when you say Bump mapping or Normal mapping, you normally mean a technic that is used in the rendering process.

Normally Bump mapping describes the method to use a greyscale (or rgb in case of Normal mapping) bitmap that is fed into the rendering process in combination with other textures and stuff (like a specular, or diffuse map, reflection map,...).

The renderer then looks through all those maps to determin how the pixel he's currently rendering should look like.

That's what DeadMeat is describing.

OFP also includes a renderer that takes all kinds of things into account, like from where the light comes and what textures are mapped onto a face, but it doesn't use Bump mapping!

Since OFP only uses a single texture for its rendering process, you have to put all the details you want into that texture.

How you do that is up to you.

One method is to take a graphics program and paint it all by hand.

Another one is to use a seperate renderer that can use all sort of stuff like for example Bump mapping and to render your texture with it.

So the point here is that OFP can't use Bump or Normal mapping.

Whether you use Bump or Normal mapping to create your textures, doesn't have anything to do with OFP being able to use those technics. If you're a pretty good artist, then you can get the same results by painting your textures by hand. And in that case you also don't say that OFP can use handpainting, do you? wink_o.gif

What makes the Bump or Normal mapping so nice and hyped in Doom3 is that its renderer really does use this technic for the rendering process. So the models get dynamically shaded like if theres modeled geometry while it's just a Normal or Bump map.

The only way to get this done for OFP is to use another renderer like DXDLL that adds those features while postprocessing the results that the OFP renderer spits out.

But as Kegetys allready pointed out, this wouldn't be a practical thing to do.

Also the difference between Bump mapping (greyscale map) and Normal mapping (rgb map) is that Bump mapping is only 2D and the greyscale value determins the ammount the surface gets bumped along its normal at a specific point, while Normal mapping is 3D. The rgb values in the Normal map define a normal vector that is used to calculate the lighting at a specific point instead of the normal vector of the face this point is on.

Conclusion:

OFP can't use Bump or Normal mapping.

What you use to create your textures for OFP is up to you, but doesn't have much to do with OFP.

I just dont see why people are getting soo damn uptight about a texture for what was going to be a kickass addon (but now alledgedly wont be released)....

I just dont see why people are getting soo damn uptight about a texture for what was going to be a kickass addon (but now alledgedly wont be released)....

If you look at the first post in this topic then you see that this is about whether the OFP engine can use Bump mapping and how it is done.

Then some people just refused to accept that the OFP engine can't use this kind of stuff and that talking about OFP using Bump or Normal mapping isn't really appropriate if you use it to create textures, since you can do that for pretty much every game.

So what does this thread have to do with what you mentioned? wink_o.gif

@ bratty

im still a female

@oswald

anyone plz close tis anyway

doesnt have sense to talk to ppl who are such stubborn

why dont you just ignore those people ?

im new in opf and this communauty but im sure there are great people there, who will appreciate your job and will show the respect you deserve

why dont you just ignore those people ?

im new in opf and this communauty but im sure there are great people there, who will appreciate your job and will show the respect you deserve

jepp, you seem to be quite new. Things like this happen quite often in ofp community.

Hmm why does this remind me of the thing , happened with Martin some time ago?

@nephilim

please u have to come down, noone is trying say ur lying or anything. What we've seen here is only a series of defenitions of what real bumpmaps are because a few people (not including yourself) seem to have the wrong idea of how it works. All DeadMead said is that it is impossible to do it with the current OFP engine. Everyone was right to point out that Kegetys has done with his dll, but thats just it its a dll and not a modification of any kind to the OFP engine. Bear in mind that Kegetys also mentioned that using a similar technique to his you could simulate bump-maping and NOONE said otherwise. That is why many people here (including me) are trying to understand the way you did it. It would be awsome if someone showed a pic or something of the same model ingame under different light angle conditions.

All im trying to say is your getting upset over nothing.

Damn that fucking anoyes me, because of some stupid "i-know-everything-better" guys, nephilim LEAVES, and i f*ck*ng know that she leaves, cause she wrote mew a mail, i know maybe she had a hard day or so. BUT she knows what shes doing so you peeps dont have to think you know it better.

and nephilim, i agree with Soul-Assasin, plz come back

BTW, to the moderators, sry for my rude answe to this topic i agree with banning or what ever im jst damn angry mad_o.gif

I leave this topic unattended for LESS THEN AN HOUR to watch a fricking movie and look what happens! mad_o.gif

Jezus Nephilim! you gotta be kidding! it's your monthly period! you only dreamed this! your forum account got hacked! just some back tomorrow or something! for fuck's sake girl don't let some stubborn sob's drive you away!

.... DeadmeatXM2 and Zander...thanks... you're doing a great job for our community... i owe you guy's one. dry.gif

what did i do ?

asking about bump maps ?

what will happen if i ask for specular maps ?

if i remember right, you really just asked, so no point at you, you couldnt know taht it will come this way. but this ones that think they now it better then the rest, ah damn ill stop now, or i may get banned for long time