Sign in to follow this  
Winters

Stop the #Loop

Hey all,

Okie heres the deal. I have this police siren that plays on a loop, i have added actions to the player in an effort to allow him to turn the siren on/off.

In my description.ext i added a sound named "off" thats attached to the added action for turning the siren off (although there is no actual sound called off) when i try to turn the siren off nothing happens.

I did this in an old mission with a CD Player and it worked fine but, the music that played from the CD player was not on a loop.

Any ideas?

Thanks smile_o.gif

Why not just put have the action menu stop the script looping? For example:

player addaction ["Stop siren", StopSiren = true]

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

#start

~2

?StopSiren: exit

playsound "siren"

goto "start"

If you want to do it your way, why not just record silence for a second and use that?

RED

Personally, I would use a number instead of a boolean here as it's much better when it comes to scripts.

StopSiren = 0

#start

~2

? (StopSiren == 1) : exit

playsound "siren"

goto "start"

Why is a number, that's stating an on/off value "much better than a boolean when it comes to scripts"?

Hmmm, some good idea there guys, i will check them out post haste biggrin_o.gif

Why is a number, that's stating an on/off value "much better than a boolean when it comes to scripts"?

It depends on the situation imo...when I only need an on/off status I use boleans, otherwise I use numbers

When you use a number , you are not restricted to two values (true or false).

In some cases this could be usefull

with boleans you do this :

in the init.sqs

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

event1 = false

event2 = false

event3 = false

In your scripts...

?event1 : hint "event1 is active"

?event2 : hint "event2 is active"

?event3 : hint "event3 is active"

with numbers you can do this

in your init.sqs

event = 0

in your script

?event == 0 : hint "none of the events are active"

?event == 1 : hint "event1 is active"

?event == 2 : hint "event2 is active"

?event == 3 : hint "event3 is active"

Now you need only one global variable, with boleans you need three.

Yes, exactly Blanco.

I was trying to question The Real Armstrong's logic, but he's fled the country and taken his reasons with him. biggrin_o.gif