Sign in to follow this  
BoweryBaker

I'm interested in moving to Canada..

If you're also looking for a job, trade skills are high in demand right now.

The government even has commercials going for trade skills.

Let's say I moved to England or Canada, what would it cost me then?

Depends where about you move to, I'd suggest somewhere closer to London or another major city.

Quote[/b] ]How much is minimum wage?

Å4.85 for over 18s I think, Å4.10 for 17.

Quote[/b] ]What are hours like?

Depends on the job, most are 7-8 hours a day.

@ Joltan: lol. Political refugee status in order to get a free stay in another country and set up with a job?

Hehe, just showing you the possibilities... wink_o.gif

Seriously, if you think about emigrating it's always good to checkout possible countries beforehand. The best way to do that is first to go there for an extended vacacion and if you like it, then check whether you can find a job there for a duration of 1-2 years. After that you'll know if you really want to settle there - and you still have the possibility to return home quickly if you don't.

And no, political refugees are usually not 'set up with a job', but they have the right to stay without already having one (usually a prerequisite).

*folds arm*

I told you so ....

So he should take "extended vacations" to every possible location in Canada. A lot of people have recommended Vancouver so at least he has an idea now. I would consider this as one of the more interesting topics in the off topic section right now. I’ve been thinking about creating a “travel tip†topic for every one to review and discuss tourist trips and good travel location.

smile_o.gif

Edit: Just to clarify: joltans idea is good, and he should obviously take a closer look at those cities that interests him. But I think that it's a brilliant idea to ask it here, in an International forum first!

if any of you guys want to know about coming to the states just let me know. I got that inside info the brochures won't tell you. hehehehe. biggrin_o.gif

One thing is for sure, if you guys ever come to Phoenix, AZ.  It's hot during the day, so make sure your hotel or whatever has cable tv and a vcr ,or that you bring your summer clothes along.  You won't boil though, you'll just grill, so its a dry heat, but you will sweat under exertion.  Something about the body using alot of energy.  Another thing is you will be drinking more than you'll be eating, so along with every meal, count a drink every I'd say, two hours into your budget.  It's a law that most stores where they sell drinks have to give you free water, i think, because they give it to us all the time when we ask.  Another thing, if you have patience in line here, the people will notice that you're spending money and patient, and will try to make things easier for you with some kind of discount or reward for you to come back.  If you overtly look like a tourist though, i doubt they'll even bother, but who knows.  Never let your eye pass up anything here, because you could miss a good deal.  Everything is so repeptitive, like a tire store every mile and a gas and licquor store ever freaking breath, but they all compete for your dollar so its cool.  I like getting a good deal.  The streets are in a perfect square grid with avenues on the west side and streets on the east and the number gets higher the farther you get from the center.  The airport is downtown at the convenience of everyone.  The streets that go east to west have their own names which you can probably remember in about a month but the north to south running streets are numbers that get greater as you exit the center as i said before.  It's a great place to live as well as visit.  There's more clubs n stuff on the east valley, the west valley is more of a bar or eatery type deal, more family oriented you might say, as well as more affordable than the east valley.  Alot of the people on the west valley complain of nothing to do, who have no car, but on the east valley they complain about stuck up people so take your pick.  

That's the phoenix metro area in a nutshell.  Also we have many malls each with its own personality.  Metro (west valley) has an urban vibe to it so thats my favorite, desert sky (west valley) has kind of a ghetto vibe to it.  Christown (west valley) I have no clue but i remember not liking it, go see it though.  Arizona Mills is the biggest mall in arizona so you can't go wrong there but its in the east valley.  There's more malls than that but...thats my view.  The cheapest places to stay are actually motels, you get like maybe one room and a bathroom and a place to park your car, all on ground level, and they'll have like a deal going on usually because of their cheap reputation and inability to get customers.   The grand hotels you can easily find but save up for those ones. The women are beautiful here, you just can't go wrong. There's many styles and cultures. It's pretty safer than most other urban cities and security is almost everywhere in public gathering areas. There's alot of electricity and life in the valley though its not all glamorous but we do the best we can with what we have and have fun with what we got. Medical fields are in high demand here, computer fields as well, also construction fields. Soon the whole entire metro area and the outskirts will be wired up to high speed, and when high speed became affordable contstruction was almost constant everywhere you'd go, so changes take place immediately when available. A stadium is coming here soon, another one. Houses are available for purchase towards the outskirts of the valley in the 91st ave + region on the like southwest side. They're being built very fast, they say we're the fastest growing region in the nation. Lots of businesses here competing for the dollar and making everyone happy, you can't go wrong.