Sign in to follow this  
laggy

Notebook graphics problems

Greetings everyone!

I just have one simple question.

Does anyone out there play Flashpoint Resistance 1.96 (or less) on a Notebook computer, and is happy about the Graphics performance.

I just (four days ago) bought a (2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, 128MB mobility radeon 9000 IGP, WinXP) notebook, and the animations and gameplay freezes every 5-10 seconds, and the HD light comes on.

Even my old desktop (1.2Ghz, 256MB RAM, 64MB Nvidia Geforce II, Win98) didn't have this problem, even though it was of course lagging more when building huge missions.

I've done:

Just putting one unit on Desert Island

No addons (except BIS original)

Reducing view distance, frame rate, visual quality, terrain detail settings to minimum (in all different combos) in Ofp

Changing to Performance or Quality on the video card

Changing swap files to min 750MB max 1500MB (instead of 576 and 1152)

priority: system cache instead of program

Unchecking disk index service

Deactivate autoprotect (Norton antivirus 2004)

Keeping the Notebook cool

Put Ofp on highest priority in Taskmanager (disasterous)

Minimize the "saving energy" functions

Controlled that Direct X works

Have not tried changing AGP to 64MB (Don't know how, and also it kind of defeats the purpose of a 128MB video card...right or wrong?)

If someone doesn't have this problem, could you please let me know, and tell me about your system ?

Or is it just a fact that Video cards sharing RAM memory (like mine does) are useless when playing the best game existing ?

Could there be a conflict from using DirectX 9 ?

Thank you all you lucky ******** who don't have this problem.

Gratefully

Laggy

crazy_o.gif

Well, this is obivous, but have you tried the latest drivers for everything? So sound, graphics, motherboard, making sure windows is upto date? Also, look on www.vooodoofiles.com for the "Omega" drivers for Radeons (not sure if they work with the notebook version but I'd expect they should). Those drivers are much more stable and have better performance with pretty much everything. Make sure you have quite a bit of room left on your hard drive too, that can slow things down with swap files which can cause what you're explaining sometimes. Other than that I'm stumped.

Yes I know and I'm sorry !

My interest is not to waste anybodies time.

Some OFP gamers out there might not be very skilled in computers though (including me), and the updates for everything might be a chaos of information.

My idea was that if anyone has a Notebook that works well, and gives us the info about it, it could be of benefit for alot of people.

Best wishes

Laggy smile_o.gif

I play OFP on my Dell Inspiron 8200 which has a Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics card and once I installed the Omega drivers it ran absolutely fine! The stock drivers gave the flashing white textures problem and a lot of jerkiness.

Thank you !

Did you use the DHmodTool or did you just install it without that.

Gratefully

Laggy biggrin_o.gif

That's probably some background process. Spyware (which often comes preloaded with brand-new PCs), virus checkers, oftware firewall logging, wireless network discovery etc...

Thank you !

I think you are right.

I installed the 4.8 Omegadriver and it changed nothing.

Even the furry cube in the ATItool 3D window is stuttering, and the FPS is changing every second. Is that normal ?

Might also try to install another game, to see if it gets the same problem. Might that be a good check, or is OFP different in any crucial technical way (from let's say Hitman 2 or IL2 Sturmovik) which would make such a check useless ?

Thanks again

Laggy

Try to disable any power conservation features that the laptop may have. It might be going to sleep intermittently in order to prolong battery life.

Thank you !

I think I just might return this PC though.

Checked the Task Manager again and... the CPU is working on a 100% level without any programs running at all. Not good right ? (I'm using WinXP Home Edition).

Thanks for all your advice though, and now I'll know what to try if I experience the same issues with a new Notebook.

"Thinking about returning to tabletop games Laggy" mad_o.gif

hmm strange

i got the same spec on my amilo d 8830

amd it runs lagg free

even with kegs dxdll

Hi Nephilim !

Well I'm going in for the kill. Returned the piece of ****, found a new place were I can buy a 3.0Ghz, 1GB Ram, GeForce 5600 (I think 128MB but definetely NON SHARED), with another operating system for more or less the same price.

If that doesn't do it, I'll definetely put a satchel under my notebook computer and return to good old lead figure tabletop games... or more likely... in bitterness keep on using my laggy but trusty old desktop (1.2Ghz, GeForceII 64MB, which has had a constant Windows 98 protection -boot up- error "configMG", since I first installed Resistance) and only build "two player death matches" on Tonal.

Laggy

i guess i just have to watch out for the shared memory shit

anyway

im happy with my "piece of shit" biggrin_o.gif

I think I just might return this PC though.

Checked the Task Manager again and... the CPU is working on a 100% level without any programs running at all. Not good right ? (I'm using WinXP Home Edition).

No, that's not normal, unless you run a program such as Folding@Home, CPU Idle, or something similar. Did you happen to notice which process was consuming all the CPU cycles? I know it doesn't really matter anymore since you got a different system, but I'm curious.

I don't remember the exact name of the process, but it was something like ws2snn or close to it (maybe an X in there as well).

It was also impossibile to turn it off in the Task Manager.

That process was taking on average 70% of the CPU:s resources.

Explorer was good second with about 15%.

So long

Laggy