Sign in to follow this  
Gordy

Tablet

Hey.

I have a question. I am going to get a little bit further with my photoshop and invest in a tablet.

Which is that u (artists) use or would recommend to use?

I have to point out that it has to be pretty cheap too. I spend it all on other things.

Thanks for help.

Search for a WACOM Art Pad II on ebay, you can grab them as cheap as 30$ there these days.

WACOM is top quality and the Art Pad II is still sufficent for most graphics work unless you're really into digital drawing and painting.

I'm using an A6 sized one for allmost 8 years now (was about 150$ new) and just got another one (30$ on ebay) for the girlfriend.

Search for a WACOM Art Pad II on ebay, you can grab them as cheap as 30$ there these days.

WACOM is top quality and the Art Pad II is still sufficent for most graphics work unless you're really into digital drawing and painting.

I'm using an A6 sized one for allmost 8 years now (was about 150$ new) and just got another one (30$ on ebay) for the girlfriend.

I heard Wacom are good.

What about Wacom Volito?

Wacom has good hardware, but horrible software. The drivers don't work for all programs. Wouldn't recommend it. (I have a Graphire tablet collecting dust).

What is ultimately the best option is a TFT high-res touch screen.

Wow i could use a drawing pad myself, im kinda tired of using the mouse for highly detailed bits of texture, slipping, then having to undo, again and again..... biggrin_o.gif

I heard Wacom are good.

What about Wacom Volito?

I don't know any other company that can meet WACOM with their professional series (formerly Art Pad now Intuos).

I didn't see a Volito yet but to me it looks like another low end tablett like the Graphire.

If I had to buy a new graphics tablet i would go for the Intuos 2 since that's the successor to the Art Pad line. But of course that quality has its price. The Intuos has more preassure levels for the tip and also recognizes the tilt of the pen. But for normal graphics work you really don't need that.

So with a used Art Pad II you get professional quality but for a low price. You might even be able to catch an A4 one for a verry reasonable price.

I really doubt that even the new budget tablets meets the quality of my 8 year old Art Pad II.

Wacom has good hardware, but horrible software. The drivers don't work for all programs. Wouldn't recommend it. (I have a Graphire tablet collecting dust).

What is ultimately the best option is a TFT high-res touch screen.

The Graphire was introduced as a low end (budget) line in addition to the Art Pad series and afaIk it came with a different driver than the Art Pad.

I never had any problems with the Art Pad II for more than 8 years now. It even worked with the DOS based game Warcraft II (good old DOS days). No driver problem at all with all the programs I'm using.

Don't expect to use the tablet as a replacement for your mouse.

Doubleclicking in a specific location is a real pain with a tablett since you tend to move the pen when pressing the buttons or the tip. Most things are faster done with a good mouse.

It's just for art work like photoretouching, painting textures or basically everything where you need to move the mouse pointer to get a certain shape. That's where there's nothing better than a tablet.

Using the tablet in addition to the mouse works like charm for me.

Theres a WACOM Art Pad II in ebay, starting bid $9.99, 4 days left to run, however, will only ship to the US....thats me out of the equation sad_o.gif

Theres a WACOM Art Pad II in ebay, starting bid $9.99, 4 days left to run, however, will only ship to the US....thats me out of the equation  sad_o.gif

I got myself sth very simple to start with. I have to make sure I can make stuff that look good.

It's a Pentagram Quadpen. I know it's shitty but I'm not a rich man. I don't want a luxury stuff to gather dust under my desk.

i´ve got Wacom Volito,but I dont use it so much anyway...you can make very nice textures without tablet,beleave me...

i´ve got Wacom Volito,but I dont use it so much anyway...you can make very nice textures without tablet,beleave me...

Hehe, why should they believe someone who says "beleave me."?

Hehe, why not just do what the rest of us do. Use a pencil and sketch paper. Nothing beats a pencil and paper.

I was going to post more on this topic but decided against it.

http://www.aiptek.com/products/pctablets/12000u.htm  rock.gif

should work perfect with photoshop

it seems to be a real cheap one...

i´ve seen it for € 89

greetz

I have this tablet and I highly reccomend it. Bought it at CompUSA for $129 on sale, it's nice and large and works better than the little tiny Wacom tablets that cost even more than Aiptek's big one. The tiny Wacom tablets were at school though, so it may just because I am not keen of their computers smile_o.gif

Aha i know you can make very nice textures with just a mouse....its what i have been using for the last 4 or 5 months smile_o.gif However, the number of times i have been trying to draw certain details and found my mouse hand isnt as stable as it should be..... smile_o.gif

And please tell me how you can make nice textures for OFP with just a pencil and paper, it would be a whole lot cheaper tounge_o.gif

Anyway, i've just brought myself a WACOM Artpad (Å20) smile_o.gif

Hehe, why not just do what the rest of us do. Use a pencil and sketch paper. Nothing beats a pencil and paper.

I can't speak for the rest of us, but normally I tend to sketch with the ol' pencil and paper, then scan it in, clean up with photoshop and color it with my graphire2.

Coloring with markers/pencils has no undo. biggrin_o.gif

I wish I'd treated my wacom pen with more respect, rolled my desk chair over it accidentally, the precision has been way off whack since then. sad_o.gif

I hope you can get as much enjoyment out of your tablet as I got out of mine. smile_o.gif

Really? My entire work is done in Photoshop. Then again, i do textures based off the model, so a screenshot of the faces i am going to texture becomes my template....... smile_o.gif

Hopefully my tablet will come tomorrow (the seller has a history of prompt delivery it seems smile_o.gif )

what tablet did you decide on buying?

I bought sth for learning. Sth I would not regret I bought when it ends up collecting dust.

Pentagram QuadPen. It's simple and small and cheap. If I get better with it and see results I will buy the stuff U recommend.

Really? My entire work is done in Photoshop. Then again, i do textures based off the model, so a screenshot of the faces i am going to texture becomes my template....... smile_o.gif

I don't do texturing, I draw random stuff, bit out of it lately, no time at all. Maybe I'll take up texturing when a great game comes out, like OFP2 biggrin_o.gif

Is OFP 1 not good enough for you to learn texturing? Cmon, theres a great shortage of texture artists....be a sport biggrin_o.gif

Lol tounge_o.gif

I might rip open a few pbo's and toy with textures when I find myself bored and not in the mood for a game.

If I play around a bit I'll be less noobish for OFP2, sound good? smile_o.gif

Don't know how much time I'll have, between summer job, game addictions, real life and college in a month and a bit. sad_o.gif

I love wacom tablets.

They are the best hen it comes to interaction with your pallet.

The only thing better for digital painting is the propriatory tablet that comes with the HENRY from quantel.

Haha texturing skills are easily transferable, so the sooner you start learning the better smile_o.gif You could learn to texture for OFP and take it to almost any other (3d) game, with only a few minor adjustments needed!

Anyway, i reckon my tablet will arrive tomorrow, so im gonna test it out by making some helichopper textures biggrin_o.gif

Hehe, why should they believe someone who says "beleave me."?

Hehe, why not just do what the rest of us do.  Use a pencil and sketch paper.  Nothing beats a pencil and paper.

I was going to post more on this topic but decided against it.

eh...because you can draw photo-realistic textures without tablet?for ofp addons it´s enough.

But if you are talented with pen and paper,and you aren´t so good with mouse and psp,it´s good to use tablet,ofcourse... wink_o.gif