Sign in to follow this  
drow

BFV_PlantsPack v0.8

ls_bfvn1_forums.jpg

Here's the first one, for instance: Long Son - BeefNam

Note: This is an internal Hell's Circus alpha test. Expect bugs! Please don't upload this island to any website for download - it sucks and does not represent the finished version or even a polished one. What it does do is give users, The Unsung - and anyone who may be interested - a chance to test the objects ingame and on an island where you can see the AI interaction, etc very easily with the odd mission or two.

Para

Something tells me that it'll hit some website anyway -_-

Looking forward to a new Vietnam Island, I'll look into that Island when I get home, Cheers Pat smile_o.gif

And great job to Unsung wink_o.gif

Cheers

Joe

They all are half lighted.

Difference with other packs is just about texture brightness.

we will fixt that later.

I might be wrong on this one but, speaking from my experience, you should not modify vertex lighting. It should be left normal, otherwise you can expect some nasty sideeffects under some lighing conditions. What you need to do, is just darken the textures. Seriously!  crazy_o.gif

Pretty serious clipping issues need to be sorted out as well, you can see what I mean when the camera passes trees in the BeefNam anim.

It doesn't look good when everything behind the object nearest to you dissapears smile_o.gif

Para

hi everyone,

hope you like the pack, i just wanted to set a thing or two straight.

We decided not to perfect the pack, that may take months, we instead thought we would make it public, then upgrade our personal version to be released with the island.

On the same note, if you plan to make any major changes that would significantly benefit the pack, please contact us, we may have already done so, or may like to incorporate your improvement into our next release.

There will be a lot of bunkers and other goodies released with our island as well.

(but dont get me wrong, we love to hear the feedback, please post your thoughts on the pack.)

They all are half lighted.

Difference with other packs is just about texture brightness.

we will fixt that later.

I might be wrong on this one but, speaking from my experience, you should not modify vertex lighting. It should be left normal, otherwise you can expect some nasty sideeffects under some lighing conditions. What you need to do, is just darken the textures. Seriously!  crazy_o.gif

resistance trees are half lighted.

(and i know this from very reliable source  wink_o.gif )

surprised ?  wink_o.gif

Hehehe, then you should really check reliability of your source... because it's wrong! rock.gif

Resistance trees use a mix of "full lighted" vertexes (branches, leaves) and "normal" vertexes (for trunk). Same goes for regular CWC trees.

I know it because I've just checked it myself. wink_o.gif

Hehehe, then you should really check reliability of your source... because it's wrong!   rock.gif

Resistance trees use a mix of "full lighted" vertexes (branches, leaves) and "normal" vertexes (for trunk). Same goes for regular CWC trees.

I know it because I've just checked it myself.  wink_o.gif

i wouldnt trust to odol explorer ;-)

reszta w pm'ie ;-)

Edited

iv just checked it with odol explorer

Full lighted ! :P

still, im shure of my source ;-)

I don't care what the right "term" is, we all know the issue and that's what counts.

Para

Para @ June 24 2004,06:52)]I don't care what the right "term" is, we all know the issue and that's what counts.

Para

true.

so now very good idea would be sending 101 pm's to Drow to make him work on those textures  tounge_o.gif

yes sometimes it takes excessive PMs to breach my 2 inch thick cranium  tounge_o.gif

I will begin work on them tonight.

edit - wait a minute, what have u been talking about?

I can only change textures, whats half lighted mean... doesnt that have to do with making addons?

crazy_o.gif

I can only change textures, whats half lighted mean... doesnt that have to do with making addons?

crazy_o.gif

we talked about things, and we just want you to work on textures ;-)

pop some of the BFV bushes on that Beefnam map will u Para, I couldnt find even one.

hmm, thats weird, well i just quickly booted around the island,

but i worked on the textures last night,

and I found that in photoshop u pretty much only need to lower the Saturation to -40 (image/hue saturation - adjustment)

then they fit right in with SEB stuff and BIS stuff.

Just a tip guys, because we wont be releasing an update for a while I think.

You know, I'm not sure it's a good idea to lower the saturation.  some plants, especially tropical plants have bright, waxy or reflective leaves.  Lowering the saturation to match the faky looking plants already in OFP defeats the point of creating realistic plants and trees for the game.  Don't lower the saturation to match the plants already in game.  Those plants are European, and frankly, suck anyway.  Modmakers should be putting out a product superior to the original game, not trying to match its crappiness.

Lowering the saturation takes away the bright and vibrant colors of tropical vegetation, when the whole point of doing ropical vegetation is too have something different than the dull European vegetation we already have.

by making textures darker, or lower the saturation, the file size is cut down by nearly HALF the size,

thats No Doubt why ofp is such a drab game when it comes to color.

You know, I'm not sure it's a good idea to lower the saturation.  some plants, especially tropical plants have bright, waxy or reflective leaves.  Lowering the saturation to match the faky looking plants already in OFP defeats the point of creating realistic plants and trees for the game.  Don't lower the saturation to match the plants already in game.  Those plants are European, and frankly, suck anyway.  Modmakers should be putting out a product superior to the original game, not trying to match its crappiness.

Lowering the saturation takes away the bright and vibrant colors of tropical vegetation, when the whole point of doing ropical vegetation is too have something different than the dull European vegetation we already have.

i didnt think this way, but your right...

Hehehe, then you should really check reliability of your source... because it's wrong!   rock.gif

I know it because I've just checked it myself.  wink_o.gif

For bushes,trees(not trunk) is the best way use "Half lighting"...

I think they looked rediculous when they were so bright, they were bloody bright orange trunks, they look much better now being toned down (40% may be a bit drastic tho), im not saying that we should make everything extremely drab looking...

(Ebuds banana plants come to mind, great models but they have extremely faded textures with no contrast or variance, therefore dont appear particulalry real, still nice tho dont get me wrong)

Im saying that OFP doesnt seem best suited for flashy plants, rich colors i think are ok, but not exremely bright vibrant colors.

I have noticed after changing bright textures to darker more sinster ones (scratchy, dirty etc.) for various projects, that the file size actually is cut in half, by making the textures significantly darker.

To each his own tho, i will play your island if u make it with all vibrant colored plants, but i doubt it will perform as well as a toned down version... not to mention D/L waits for 56k'ers.