Sign in to follow this  
AKK

Recording radio coms

Hey any one interested I have been using Audacity. IT is F'n great. Comes with all kinda plugins and there are more to get. I have not tried any other "audio" recording programs as I am a cheap bastard. I think this is the way to go for the "penny wise" ofp mission maker who wants to record radio stuff. I hope this is usefull to someone besides me. Now don't get me wrong this is not CRAP!!!! this is a very comprehensive audio recording program with lots of features like plugins and dithers etc and my favorite "Pitch Shift"!!(helps you change your vocal pitch helping you make other voices w/out actors. smile_o.gif

You can find it at audacity

There is a section for VST plugins check it out. I found that any overdrive or distortion effect gives a great radio sound. The one I am useing is called Cyanide. You'll find a link for it on the page. I hope no one thinks this is spam because its not. I just thought I would share this great tool with anyone who didn't know about it. wink_o.gif

Also it's open source so any one can make changes as they see fit smile_o.gif

I forgot to mention that it will allow you to work with multiple frequencies at the same time so you can incorperate BIS sounds JAM sounds and any other you can think of into your radio calls or just plain sounds that is. I think that most BIS sounds are recorded at 11025 where as JAM sounds are recorded @ 22050. Not to mention it will convert both WAV and MP3. <s>Sorry but it does not do .OGG sad_o.gif</s> Yes it does .ogg. smile_o.gif

any way TaTa.

I got the plugin enabler and the pitch shift, but where do I find it?

When you say

Quote[/b] ]I got the plugin enabler and the pitch shift, but where do I find it?

do you mean where do you find the plug ins? if thats the case in the audacity screen look under effects and there should be a divider line about 3/4 the way down and you should see any plugins you installed. If thats not the prob than what?

Or if you just flat don't know either record something or drag and drop something into the screen and click on the extreme left of the track window and you will see the whole track highlighted then go to the menu "effects" and play smile_o.gif . there is alot of standard effects that come with it.

Hint. try the Hard Limiter and take the top bar and slide left. should give some promising feedback for radio "fuzz".

I just downloaded it and it converts to ogg vorbis. Doesn't it work for you? rock.gif

I input a couple of test wavs and an mp3 and managed to convert them into ogg. Maybe you just overlooked it. It's under 'File'. You can convert to wav, mp3 or ogg.

Cool program! Thanks! smile_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

Yeah Im a knot head it does convert. It was an erlier version that didnt convert to vorbis biggrin_o.gif

Wow this is great, perfect for making sounds and radio coms for coops.

Deserves a bump smile_o.gif

Thanks AKK !

In respect of the sampling rate and raw data input feature, Audacity 1.2.1. also imports wss directly.

Use the pull downs : Project > Import Raw Data

and make the settings :

Signed 8bit PCM

1 channel (Mono)

sampling rate 11025 Hz

(the other entries as default)

For importing radio commands it's sufficient. As stated above, next one can apply numerous effects and save the file for OFP in ogg or wav format.

p.s. with the programming language Nyquist, one should be able to program a plugin, converting and saving also back to wss.

I got Audacity 1.2.1 today and i've been playing around with sound files for the first time to day but I have a problem..

I can get the sound to play in ofp so i know the description.ext is correct but it wont put the text in as well from the stringtable and also it is SO quiet!!

Description.ext==>

class CfgSounds

{

sounds[] = {evac};

class voicesample

{

name = "evac";

sound[] = {"evac.ogg", db+40, 1.0};

titles[] =

{

0, $STRM_Voice

};

};

};

class CfgRadio

{

sounds[] = { evac};

class radiosample

{

name = "evac";

sound[] = {"evac.ogg", db+40, 1.0};

title = $STRM_radiosample;

};

};

};

I put it in both cos i wasnt sure which one it was, as you can see it is set to +40db but it doesnt deem to be any louder than when it is -40db!!

The Stringtable.csv ==>

LANGUAGE English Comment

STRM_voice voice

STRM_radiosample radiosample

Can any one see why it wont print the text and any ideas on increasing the volume?

I THINK (not really sure) I see...

you're stringtable is calling for the class and not the file. i think it should be "strm_evac" and not "radiosample"

BTW - just got Audacity myself, works great! Thanks AKK.