Sign in to follow this  
Koolkid101

Computer died, have no clue what  happened

Ok here's my story, (I'm on my other computer now) I was talking on AIM and I go to the bath room and then I went to get a apple juice. Suddenly when I come back there's a blue screen of death, so I restart the computer and low and behold I get a message saying Error Starting Operating System. I've had my computer die before, last month but my dad could always reinstall Windows XP but now somethings happened. I want to know what caused this, I don't really care much about the computer because it gives me an excuse to build a new computer. But until then no gaming. Someone said that it could be because of a low motherboard battery? My computer is about 3 years old, and I haven't installed any updates in awhile.

What exactly does the error say when the computer starts to boot?

I have a proposal. Got to http://www.www.nocrash.com the best site for consulting as far as these problems are concerned.

Me personally I believe you could deal with it in the following way

Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file:

Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.

When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.

Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.

Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.

When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

[Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:

[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:

[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].

After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

Had a friend got a very similar message when his hard disc failed. If so theres really no recovery. Just a straight replacement. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

If you have the option take your hard drive out and install it as a slave in someone elses PC, run scandisk and see if it finds problems with your drive, if so you know it's that, if not you know it's not that.

Possibilities

1. Hard Drive Failure-excuse to get new computer

2. Parents don't like me playing so much OPF they don't want to fix it.

You still havnt said exactly what the error message says. If you would do that I could easily tell you if it's fixable or not. Does it just say "Error Starting Operating System" or is there more?

What drive is it?

It's possible to recover cenrtain disks with the right software.