Sign in to follow this  
threat.at

Savegames

It is exactly as I said - we can discuss this theme endlessly.

And Baron: I didn't discuss MP savegames - my topic is about savegames in general... and MP, as I knew it until recently, wouldn't work with saves. Now I know it better...

I got an idea! How about the official campaigns and missions have 1 or no saves to communicate the nature of the game as the designers saw it. But when users create missions they should be able to mod in extra saves! Or it could be like it is now and saving would be done through the radio. ^_^;; Well, actually I'm realizing why people dislike savegames so much. The inability to save "just in case" does change your play style and increases your involvement. Sadly, OFP is a niche game as realistic war isn't terribly fun-friendly.

How about we keep no saves but leave a savegame style cheat for those who want it. But to leave a bite, there should be annoying penalties for using the savegame, though they would not change gameplay. Rather, using the cheat would wipe out the mission score, leave a conspicious red mark on the score screen. All score numbers would be replaced by *cheat* unless they were replaced by a hi-score that didn't utilize cheats. Basically this wouldn't chop off the hands of people would want more save games but would make a psychological impact on those people who want to get rankings, ect. Or make someone's campaign selection screen look embarassingly red.

Not too harsh though or trainers will start popping all over the place. Maybe wink_o.gif

IMHO, savegames are an entirely individual thing - some people would like more, some would like none.

I think it's better to have the option of multiple saves there for those that want them. It's better to have a "wuss" setting for people who want it, than for them to say "too hard", uninstall OFP and put it away in a dusty closet.

For those who want to play with minimal saves to get the "true feeling" of combat, then by all means do so. No one is forcing you to use the savegames.

Of course, I am talking about SP saves...

Friedchiken

Nice idea! It would be great to make small cutscenes like in CWC when u got low score. And there blake will tell u sumthing like "You sorry cheater, get off my eyes...". In my opinion this will make cheaters feel shame tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

This, Void, is already implemented in OFP1, but with an other cheat - if you use the cheat "endmission" to often (according to Avon's FAQ), then you get fired by Sgt. Blake.

This would really be a nice idea, too... You could use the "Limited Save Possibilities" system of VC coupled with Radio Message or Chapter Saves merged with comments of Sgt. Blake!

COOL IDEA!  biggrin_o.gif REALLY! This would really get the optimum of it.

And more stages in the difficulty, from "Hey, don't hurt me" to "Psycho", with different restrictions.

And some sort of a points system, so there could be a highscore list in the internet - and mama's boys never reach a good scoring. This could also make more motivation to raise the difficulty.

I hope, Bohemia reads this thread and implements this ideas in some way....

When does OFP2 finaly release!!!! I hope sooooon!  tounge_o.gif

Maybe the save code should be documented in the manual!  smile_o.gif

But people who want to see how they did (score-wise) will have to play without saves.  Penalties for saves should just be discouraging without serious losses while the real penalties are for using the endgame cheat.  I mean, if the mission designer can't beat their own mission, then its too hard.  wink_o.gif

Edit:: or heheh, when you use savegame, the score you had so far before you "saved" would be reset to zero. That way, the colonel could bash you about your low score. In ofp1 the cutscenes were triggered by low scores, not cheats. You were still told off if you just laid back and let your buddies get killed. Reseting the scores would allow the "colonel blake" trigger to activate, though discharging the player seems kinda fake since you could just continue where you were "told off." He should say something like you're lame or something involving you fight like a weenie. Whatever. sad_o.gif

I'd like an expanded save game feature simply because I don't like fighting the same battle twice. Simple as that.

I think there should only be one save game slot, but overwritable. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think there should only be one save game slot, but overwritable.

Isn't that going to do the same thing as multiple saves? tounge_o.gif