Sign in to follow this  
freddern

Ardennes island v1.0 by reinhard

thanks mate smile_o.gif about the lag (dammm lag) i reduced a lot some of single objects placed in the island and really now works better and now im implementing a new way of work more balanced between realism an "no lag" or minimun lag, tomorrow or the next ill put some pics biggrin_o.gif

Reinhard

I'm not familiar with the area or histroical details. Are you planing to make some airfields and if so will you make them grass runways? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE? biggrin_o.gif

For the most part, it looks like home. I grew up there, as a teen. I was in a southern area of Belgium south west of Dinant, near the French border, in the mountains. Most of southern Belgium, is very heavily forrested, and mountainous.

Good work.

Hi guy smile_o.gif as you know Medicus usually nicely offers me some web space to host my pics but now he is on travel and cant do it, please i need somebody that can host me some pics of my new work on ardennes.

thank reinhard.

reinhard66: i can upload the images to medicus filespace (or somewhere else on our server) if you want to.

reinhard: if you want to have them on ofp.At, contact me

coldfrites AT yahoo.de

thanks guys after this nice offers i want to say that the incomming pics are only a little part of what is to come in the finnal release that will include all vege stuff made by JOJIMBO leadder of I44 mod, that is the reason to release the island after the release of first phase of our mod smile_o.gif

Reinhard66 sent me a few more pics, you can see all of them (and in better quality) here:

smGCS1.jpgsmGCS3.jpg

smGCS5.jpgsmGCS7.jpg

smGCS8.jpgsmGCS10.jpg

He also told me that the island was lagtested with 6 platoons of soldiers and had no lag for him. Some of the new vegetation has been made by Jojimbo from I44 mod.

WOW!

Nice textures!!!!!!!!

Great work Reinhard!!!! biggrin_o.gif

You have spent a long time placing manually all those objects, isn't it? wink_o.gif

About lag...

I've not already tested your island (I'll do it tomorrow of course!) but I will tell you something, I hope it will be somehow useful:

working on my Snakeisland, I found that the main problem, trying to create realistic villages, it's the amount of objects causing lag.

Expecially a large number of bushes/trees placed in a small range will cause lag problems even on a ninja PC (like in Snakeisland-Mojlina Swamps).

The only true (and easy) solution is to reduce the number of the objects but... that's a sad solution, isn't it?

All the work done to create something nice will be trash.

So If you are still working on this island, try to optimize (aaaargh... why my translator do not work this evening???!!!) the number of the objects before it's too late!!!

Maybe "The Great" Mig will help you creating some good addons like very long bushes to use near the roads instead of 10.000 short bushes... and maybe using "a 2 colour alpha on the grass and bushes" will help too!!!.

Creating "the terrian with hills/buildings that obsure the really long views where lots of alphas would be lined up", can be helpfull but just if you will not fly over the island (remember to test your island with planes... it will give you a better idea about its lag factor).

Despite all this bla, bla, bla... be sure that many people like me will really apreciate your work!   biggrin_o.gif

(Even with a bit of lag!  wink_o.gif  )

This is just amazing Reinhard66, so hard detailed job, but be aware cause of the lag it causes. Keep on the good work m8 wink_o.gif

smile_o.gif

Ok, I've tested it!

First of all You're an artist, indeed!  tounge_o.gif

I really like the way you have used and placed all the addons.

The problem it's the graphic engine of the game, which it's simply too much old to elaborate a huge number of 3D object like the one you've used here (even with my P4 3.2Ghz, Radeon 9800XT, 1Gb RAM Corsair TWIN X1024-3200XLPRO mounted on a ABIT IC7-MAX3 motherboard). sad_o.gif

I've found that the bushes you've used along the river (as I've used in Mojlina Swamps too) are a great "lag-adder" crazy_o.gif

The "data3d/ker trs travy.p3d" object (a small medium-tall grass bush) is astonishing when used to create small grass fields, but it will steal a great % of your CPU resources.

If you agree, we can collect some money to convince Mig to create some kind of objects to replace these ones.

Another solution should be to keep our money and wait that intel releases a new powerful cpu...

It's also probable that the BIS team will see your work and decide to give us the gift of a new powerful 3D engine for OFP...  tounge_o.gif

I think you have used WRPtool but maybe not the last release, so I've found the presence of the "road bug".

In some places, when you walk along the roads, you'll see them vanishing under your feet (That's more easy to see driving a car and/or using a 3rd person view).

You can easily resolve this bug:

1- make a backup-copy of your work

2- download the last patch for WRPtool

3- select all the roads placed on your island

4- use the "Edit/Align All Obj. to Ground" function.

I hope this will help you.

OK, now I will go back to play on your great island! (with a low distance of view of course!)  tounge_o.gif