Sign in to follow this  
the_shadow

Sad day for swedes

Damn sad_o.gif

I mean it's terribly already. With the cuts they made a few years ago it takes over 30 minutes for fighters to get over Stockholm.

This is stupid - it will deminish our military capabilites to the point where Luxemburg could invade us with ease while at the same time it will still cost a shitload of money.

Quote[/b] ]This is stupid - it will deminish our military capabilites to the point where Luxemburg could invade us with ease while at the same time it will still cost a shitload of money.

I'll keep this in mind for the nearest future wink_o.gif

.........when we take back what is rightfully ours - to use a much said Denoir phrase biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This is stupid - it will deminish our military capabilites to the point where Luxemburg could invade us with ease while at the same time it will still cost a shitload of money.

I'll keep this in mind for the nearest future  wink_o.gif

.........when we take back what is rightfully ours - to use a much said Denoir phrase  biggrin_o.gif

I said Luxemburg, not Norway. We could still invade Norway. All that is required is an old elk armed with a small wooden stick wink_o.gif

It's easy for the swedes to cut their military spending whe we're between 'em and Russia. wink_o.gif

I really think it's stupid to think that you won't be needing any military except for some international task force.

Though Denoir's plans to 'liberate' Finland and Norway will be delayed if not cancelled by this, I guess.

EDIT: Denoir seems to think otherwise

well, we could always call the finnish 112 (911 for you yankees) number if someone try to invade us ;)

Quote[/b] ]We could still invade Norway. All that is required is an old elk armed with a small wooden stick wink_o.gif

It'll share the same fate as all the wolves you release into our country. Please make sure you send your elk during the autumn - as that is the only time norwegians seem to carry rifles. No, we don't have much of a military either - the best of it are scattered around the world in peacekeeping/occupational missions.

Though Denoir's plans to 'liberate' Finland and Norway will be delayed if not cancelled by this, I guess.

You are right sad_o.gif Just recieved this

Quote[/b] ]

To: Denoir

Subject: Re: Operation Nordic Freedom

Following the new budget, I am sorry to inform you that "Operation Nordic Freedom" that plans for the liberation of Norway, Finland and Denmark has been put on indefinite hold. As the ONF task group intelligence gathering and research concluded, for a guaranteed success these were the resources required:

One swiss army knife, smaller model.

Unfortunately these resource requirements would exceede our current budget and we cannot therefor approve it.

sad_o.gifsad_o.giftounge_o.gif

Not totally unexpected. This is what you get when a nation like Sweden has been at peace for to long :/

(Added an un)

smile_o.gif

You are right sad_o.gif Just recieved this

Quote[/b] ]

To: Denoir

Subject: Re: Operation Nordic Freedom

Following the new budget, I am sorry to inform you that "Operation Nordic Freedom" that plans for the liberation of Norway, Finland and Denmark has been put on indefinite hold. As the ONF task group intelligence gathering and research concluded, for a guaranteed success these were the resources required:

One swiss army knife, smaller model.

Unfortunately these resource requirements would exceede our current budget and we cannot therefor approve it.

sad_o.gifsad_o.giftounge_o.gif

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

denoir, is this budget cut related to your former commander from MI?

yeah, almost 200 years now....

as someone said "what sweden needs is one hell of a war"

although i hope not ;)

unfortunately, IKEA is doing such a great job as covert operations point that Swedish military sees no reason to go after conventional method.... tounge_o.gif

Seriously...

The armed forces should be used for more than it is today, then dismantling wouldn't be necessary and we'd get a lot more for the money. They should be put in against riots, bank robbers etc, and used in more rescue operations.

It's time to forget about that incident in the 1930's that outlawed the use of military forces against riots. Using conscripts against riots together with the police would be so much more efficant and it would give them some training. And using conscripts for safety during international meetings and conferences in Sweden would be a lot cheaper than the use of police officers. Etc, etc. Damn it's such a waste.

denoir, is this budget cut related to your former commander from MI?

Yes blues.gif I must say that I did not expect this from Syrén. I was hoping that he was actually going to restore the Swedish military. It seemed a good thing to have a real solidier as CiC rather than the various beaurocrats we've been having over the years.

Apparently I underestimated the political pressure that is on the military. sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]It's time to forget about that incident in the 1930's that outlawed the use of military forces against riots. Using conscripts against riots together with the police would be so much more efficant and it would give them some training. And using conscripts for safety during international meetings and conferences in Sweden would be a lot cheaper than the use of police officers. Etc, etc. Damn it's such a waste.

We dont need conscripts for that, we got the police beta squad. I dont know the english term for them, possibly police reservists, but we got them. A couple of units / major town. But we've never used them.

i guess it was a big uphill battle even just to stop military spending cut.

out of curiosity, which nation is considered as a threat to Sweden? Personally, (due to lack of knowledge) I see little threat heading to Sweden, and may be able to afford reconstruction from military to civilian sector.

It used to be Russia, always Russia. But with that threat very distant, there really is no invasion threat no more.

out of curiosity, which nation is considered as a threat to Sweden? Personally, (due to lack of knowledge) I see little threat heading to Sweden, and may be able to afford reconstruction from military to civilian sector.

Russia, Russia, Russia.. did I mention Russia?

In the Swedish military we have a designation 'fi' - a short for 'fiende' - enemy. Another use of the designation is when you refer to Russian forces.

Is that not completely pointless as Sweden today would not stand a chance againt Russia?

The strategy is not to win - everybody realises that it would be impossible. The strategy is however to make an invasion so costly that they would hesitate invading in the first place. Assuming no nukes, Sweden could last a few days, a week at best against a full Russian assault, but we would hurt them badly during those days and in the following organized resistance.

Nope, no invasion threat.

But we had both Russian/Soviet and Nato sub marines sneaking around and getting stuck in our archipelago of Stockholm in the 80's.

ok, Russia did come into my mind, but was not sure. I wonder if this budget cut will be a part of shift to civilian defense, like increase in riot police or so.

also, what is Swede's opinion about going professional(abadoning conscription)?

We dont need conscripts for that, we got the police beta squad. I dont know the english term for them, possibly police reservists, but we got them.

I don't know what police unit you're refering to, what's its Swedish name?

Quote[/b] ]A couple of units / major town. But we've never used them.

Then obviously we do need conscripts for it.

As for switching to a professional military as oposed to the current conscription based system - it's not practical for Sweden. We're too small to have a purely professional military. We need conscriptiom in one form or another.

Belgiun did the same thing in 1989.

I was in about the last draft back then ( and happy about it ! )

Maybe stopping with conscripts will save money ( cause they get payed, not much but they do ) and maybe that money can be used to upgrade units.

Here in Belgium we are investing heavily from 2004 - 2007 ( the year we gonna invade Sweden tounge_o.gif ) into new units.

They are taking a different course now, buying more specialized units like wheeled APC's, MPPV's, communications, AA, new 4x4 to replace the old Iltis's and upgrades for the current F16's.

They are buying more units that are helpfull with peacekeeping tasks all over the world now.  Guess all countries must see military funding more as a whole of Europe ( filling eachother in ) that you can always rely on the other countries to support incase of an invasion.  That way spreading the costs of military units over the whole of Europe.

I think it s not a bad thing.  No country can rely on itself nowdays, even the US, if the whole of Europe turns against the US they would be the underdog too although they have all this military might.

Just my two cents, i think what they did in Belgium is now starting to benefit our army.

Although we can still be overrun by a bunch of pygmee's ( spelling :s ) in 2 days time  biggrin_o.gif

Cheers

I wonder if this budget cut will be a part of shift to civilian defense, like increase in riot police or so.

They are talking about cut downs in the Hemvärnet, our national guard. There are three budget suggestion, one of them that saves ~600 bn euros includes the complete disbandment of the hemvärnet.

Currently hemvärnet has about a strength of 30,000.

Guess all countries must see military funding more as a whole of Europe ( filling eachother in ) that you can always rely on the other countries to support incase of an invasion.  That way spreading the costs of military units over the whole of Europe.

Yeah. In practice it means handing the keys to your border to the Germans wink_o.gif No but seriously, what I see as the only possible development is a future common European defence where countries will contribute according to the size of their population. In practice it will mean that France, Germany and the UK will shoulder most of that responsibility.

karu_pohjola.gif

The dream is becoming true!

Yes this is the work of the Pax Suomi Hextaverate. First the Chicago Cubs, now Sweden. 2012 will be the end of the world and all the roads lead to Finland.