Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

Non-american war movies

this reminds me of my grandfather on my fathers side. He was polish, and In ww2 was taken to a russian concentration camp.

but some time later on, everybody in the concentration camp was released and they had to travel back across europe to poland.

Just happened he went to England.

Please only dig up old topics if you have something significant to add - continuing a conversation that ended a year ago isn't something significant, IMHO.

If you can get your hands on a DVD edition of Dien Bien Phu or the 317th section by Pierre Schoendoerffer, buy them without hesitation.

Scemo di guerra, or Le fou de guerre, a 1985 movie, the last one of a famous french comedian, Coluche, is quite original and interesting. It's about an Italian military doctor during the north african campaign.

sugar... didnt notice the date, sry.

Some of the films on here look really interesting... Im gonna have to find my contacts and get some of these

Since we are on the subject, has anyone seen "Der Untergang"?

Haven't seen it, but I have heard that it is a very historical movie.

[im]http://www.kulturinfo.ch/Kino/archive/soweitfuessetragen/soweitfuessetragen.jpg[/img]

[im]http://www.kulturinfo.ch/Kino/archive/soweitfuessetragen/soweitfuessetragen3.jpg[/img][im]http://www.kinofenster.de/neukino/img2001/soweit.jpg[/img][im]http://www.german-cinema.de/magazine/2002/01/news/news07.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately are the best films in germany produced for TV. In other words they are made for good acting performance and historical precision rather than special effects. Today for example there was a great great film about von Staufenberg (assassination attempt on Hitler).

One which I REALY RECOMMEND, is the story of Clemens Forell. He, as a soldier was sent to Kap Deschnew after war to work in a led mine. The film tells about his escape, with basically nothing: no russian language skills and no equippment but he was able to cross the most hostile environments 10200 kmon foot to return to germany, where he lived a happy life.

The film is not realy about war but tells a great great story about a journey and a soldier turning into an animal, barely able to speak after having crossing endless forests. A must see.

Map showing how far he travelled MAP

Some pictures from the movie

Pictures

The trailor (choose format from page below)

Choose format here (trailor)

The most stunning picture from the movie

large format pic

I've seen that movie. Pretty nice movie.

I recommecnd the original (1956) version of Tuntematon sotilas (Unknown Soldier in English). Might be a bit overdramatised but...

Wow! That thar ROK movie looks good. S Korean troops are tough guys, great military over there

anyone have any working links to that movie on the VDV? the current link is giving me a bad request....

During the Kippour war in October 1973, Weinraud and his friend Rousso.

The names are Seargent Weinroub ans Lt. Ruso. Nice film, although non israelis may find it boring. There is not much action in this movie. Funny thing is at the end of film, where we can see Merkavot on battlefield biggrin_o.gif.

I recomend, two great polish films about IIWW. Wajda's "Kanal" and Rozewicz's "Westerplatte". Kanal means sweres and is about Warsaw's Uprising were AK soldiers are escaping, through city sewers, before atacking german soldiers (probably the only film where we can see german Goliath minitank mine). Westerplatte is about September's 1939 Campaign. Absolute classics.

The names are Seargent Weinroub ans Lt. Ruso. Nice film, although non israelis may find it boring. There is not much action in this movie. Funny thing is at the end of film, where we can see Merkavot on battlefield biggrin_o.gif.

french spelling ;)

Occupation in 26 pictures > original name Okupacija u 26 slika. Yugoslav film from WW2 era > very rough picture of reality in Yugoslavia trought WW2 >>> There leads to understanding of events in Yugoslavia in 90´s years.

fighter

no smile

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3 - Czech

Ahh, this topic is impossible to kill. It just keeps resurrecting.

...But I do have something relevant: a new Russian war movie called "Svoi", or "Our own". (IMDB info) It's pretty damn good. And they seemed to have working PzKpfwIV and a Pz38(t) in one (reallly silly) combat scene. PzKpfwIV was a wrong model for 1941 but this is still the first time I've seen either of those tanks in a movie which would look anything like the originals.

Another good one was a TV-miniseries "Shtrafbat", or "Penal battalion" (IMDB ref). The budget obviously wasn't very big and military realism falling short on occasion, but I think the spirit of the series was right on. In their first assault the battalion is given the order to assault prepared positions through an uncleared minefield, with the NKVD ready behind the lines to shoot those showing signs of cowardice... In the end credits of the series they had a list of all the penal units of the Soviet Army during WW2. It was truly horrifying to watch.

edit: typos