Sign in to follow this  
General Barron

The most realistic ofp experience ever!!!

3/17/04 - NEW VERSION UPLOADED!

******Many, many changes and improvements in this version. At this point, I am considering this a 'finished mission' and I am going to begin working on other missions in the campaign. Any ideas on what sites to submit this to? Anyway, if you haven't played this mission yet, try it out. If you already have, look at the list of changes in the new version below, and check it out again. I would still love to get any suggestions, and I will try to work them into the campaign.

If you downloaded this mission before, you need to use the new version of the hand signals addon provided in this download. There is also a new addon required (a chicken).

--------------(Part of original post below)--------------

******In this mission you are a squad leader, only you don't control your men the 'standard' OFP way. You have to control them the REAL way: with hand signals or verbal shouts. No more cheating with birds-eye view. The most realistic OFP experience EVER! A big claim, I know, but in terms of controlling your squad, it's true.

THE NOTES SECTION OF THE BRIEFING GIVES FULL INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CONTROL YOUR SQUAD. BE SURE TO READ THE NOTES SECTION BEFORE PLAYING.

FEATURES

Realistic squad control

Keep track of your men and heal them with the "rally" command

Realistic radio support (you must be near your RTO to use the radio)

Usefull support options: ammo drops, artillery, air support

Enemy has mortar support

Enemy will surrender; prisoners can be taken

Custom voices

Custom music

New hand signal animations (addon made by myself; see 'addons' below)

DOWNLOAD THE MISSION HERE

ADDONS REQUIRED

******You will likely have most of these, if you play 'nam missions. The hand signals are animations made by myself; the addon will be improved in the future (maybe released on its own or in the ECP), but for now it is just for playing this mission. I also HIGHLY recommend that you use the ECP when playing this mission (if your comp can handle it). It GREATLY adds to the 'nam atmosphere.

My USMC Hand signals (19.6 k)

(Included in the mission download)

SEB NamPack 2 (47.08 mb)

http://www.ofpec.com/addons/addon_detail.php?ID=389

CoC Mines (comes with SEB NamPack, but if you don't have them....)

http://www.website.thechainofcommand.net/CoC%20Mines.htm

CoC Unified Artillery (13.39 mb)

http://www.ofpec.com/addons/addon_detail.php?ID=440

Editor Upgrade (64.9 k)

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=356

NEW ADDITIONS TO V2

------------------------------------------

Added options menu at beginning of mission

Added in chickens!

******Chicken addon now required.

Added point/scoring system

******Improved end cutscene

Expanded and improved sounds:

******New voices repeat commands

******Added shouts when squad members die

******Added jungle ambience

Sped up squad formations:

****** Squad will keep formation if you walk at no more than 2x acctime

****** Squad will keep formation somewhat if you run at 1x acctime

****** Still need to let squad reform after direction changes

Improvements to POWs:

******Captives run if no marines are near them (within 75 meters)

******Added a brig to put POWs in at the base. You can still only have 12 captives total, including the ones in the brig

Improvements to ammo drops:

****** Ammo parachutes down quicker and closer to target

****** Red smoke is deployed when the crates touch down

Expanded the briefing (player's guide):

****** Added tips on accurately marking targets on the map

****** Included diagrams of the formations and description of your squad

****** Notes about new features, such as options menu and scoring

Reduced VC strength:

****** Less units at the village, and one less mortar

Improved village's look:

******Added chickens (new addon needed, see addons section)

******Added more huts, fences, etc.

Fixed trigger conditions for objectives:

****** Obj1 will now tick off if the VC flee the area

****** Obj2 will now tick off even if you have POWs in the area

Many other bugfixes/improvements

Edited by W0lle
Download link fixed

Umm, 1kb/s D/L speed here on a 512kb/s connection.

Not good. But i am waiting patiently for what sounds like a really good idea.

Sorry 'bout the crappy host.... I'm working on getting someone to mirror it for me. Hopefully a mirror will be up by sometime tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy the 1kps crazy_o.gif

I like the look of this alot. Maybe when you have finished all you plan to do with it make a template so other mission editors can implement this new system. A seal mission with this system would have so much more ambience.

I like the look of this alot. Maybe when you have finished all you plan to do with it make a template so other mission editors can implement this new system. A seal mission with this system would have so much more ambience.

That thought has crossed my mind. It might take a little bit of work to get it universal enough for everybody's taste, but if others made missions like it, it'd be worth it.

General Barron,

Excellent work ! does your script "easy" the pain of ammo micro management ? things that are SOP in the life of a squad like if a soldier is low ammo, you can give him a command to rearm, and he will look for ammo on his nearby team mates, on dead enemy bodies, etc, without the squad leader have to repeat the same ammo pickup several time to fill up all the ammo slow. The same idea should also extend to the whole squad, where after a firefight, you can give your squad a command to replenish their ammo inventory.

General Barron,

Excellent work !  does your script "ease" the pain of ammo micro management ?  things that are SOP in the life of a squad like if a soldier is low ammo, you can give him a command to rearm, and he will look for ammo on his nearby team mates, on dead enemy bodies, etc, without the squad leader have to repeat the same ammo pickup several time to fill up all the ammo slow.  The same idea should also extend to the whole squad, where after a firefight, you can give your squad a command to replenish their ammo inventory.

To a certain extent, yes. To rearm your squad, you need to call in an ammo drop. When you get near the crates, just use the action to rearm your squad, and they will automatically be "refilled" to their full ammo state.

I've thought about doing what you suggest, and making a command to "find ammo", but I'm not entirely sure it is possible to do very well. I'll look back into it though

smile_o.gif

I've finished the remaining hand signals, and updated the addon. The link in the main post has been changed to the new version. Feel free to use/distribute the hand signals addon with your own missions if you want; just be sure to always include the readme with the addon smile_o.gif

Great job.

It definitely add new ambiance to the gameplay.

In the very short time that I had to try it the only remark that I can make is that you badly need a dialog system to manage the commands. Having to open the map everytime I want to give an order is terrible.

The other option would be to find a way to keep the radio menu (not the map one) open when you reach a submenu. At the moment, if you're trying to issue a command in a submenu, you have to open the radio menu twice.

keep on the good work

more feedback to come...

Cheers

with your new communication system i don't feel that i command at all. i feel like i alone running with some one's squad smile_o.gif

Thanks for your comments all smile_o.gif Keep on the lookout for bugs!

Quote[/b] ]In the very short time that I had to try it the only remark that I can make is that you badly need a dialog system to manage the commands. Having to open the map everytime I want to give an order is terrible.

The other option would be to find a way to keep the radio menu (not the map one) open when you reach a submenu. At the moment, if you're trying to issue a command in a submenu, you have to open the radio menu twice.

You shouldn't need to open the map; just use the radio menu from the #keys; much like you use to control your squad the standard way. I know that you have to open the radio menu again for submenues, which is annoying, but BIS hasn't left a way to fix this sad_o.gif I still don't know how to do dialogs yet, but even if I learn them, I won't make a dialoge to issue the orders. How would that be any easier or faster to use than the clicking on the radio on the map rock.gif

I know the commands seem akward at first, but like BIS's radio commands, after a while you will memorize them somewhat. At that point things get MUCH easier to control. Maybe I've been using this way more than anyone else will, but I think that you should be somewhat "fluent" with the commands after a few tries. Once I make the campaign, you will definately get enough practise with 'em smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]with your new communication system i don't feel that i command at all. i feel like i alone running with some one's squad

Lol.... that's because you are used to OFP's unrealistic squad control :P Normally, your squad is nothing but a bunch of mindless robots that you have to micro-manage. smile_o.gif

Outstanding Gen.Barron! Congrats for making my favorite VietNam SP mission smile_o.gif

Im about to start ofensive on village, and im currently skirmishing with patrols around it,I hope the save game doesnt go fubar on me...

Excellent playability and ambience, starting with that cool intro.

About the hand signals, its a pleasure to see the team passing orders in the middle of the jungle in complete silence, very very good!

Only 2 issues,

1st: I started mission inside a "no exit bunker" ? or i didnt find a way out of it? tounge_o.gif Anyway, i ran against bunker wall to get out of it.

2nd: I called for ammo drop and it didnt come...or...it fell nearby in jungle and i didnt see it...hehe

so im not sure if these are bugs or i just messed it up.

Whatever the case may be, im really enjoying this mission wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The host isn't working for me...

Whooops... I messed up the OFPEC mirror link. I can't seem to get the hyperlink to work, so now just copy and paste the link into your browser. That @war mirror should work just fine though, and if all else fails, there is the freewebs link.

@Bonko the Sane

Thanks for the feedback! Jeeze, this is just supposed to be an alpha-test version of the mission/scripts, and already people are enjoying it smile_o.gif Those nice warm pats on the back make it all worthwhile.... ;)

Now actually, the bunker you start out in does have a way out-- you just must be lost :P Check out the intro and you will see the camera go into the bunker and then right up to you.

As for the ammo, two things: First off, it takes around five minutes before the ammo is dropped off, so maybe it hadn't even arrived yet. Also, the ammo parachutes down just like a person would parachute down, meaning the wind will carry it places. So when its windy (like in the mission), the ammo can sometimes land like 300 meters from where you call it. I'll work out a way to make it easier to find though.

Thanks for the comments, and be sure to post your stats when you finish the mission! smile_o.gif

I'll work out a way to make it easier to find though.

Smoke Grenades? rock.gif Of course some it'll have to attract some enemys to wink_o.gif

That's a great mission, I didn't play it all the way through yet, I only did the first objective. I love the way the AI shout "Contact Front!" or "Contact Right" when they spot an enemy and the cool music starts playing.

I think you should have some "calm" music, like sort of a jungle theme when you aren't in battle. Everything else seems to rock, really like the interface you used, you have to put that in ECP. biggrin_o.gif

Also, how about some more sounds for different situations, and have the AI keep yelling during battle. Telling you where the enemy are coming from even after the battle has begun, maybe even having them shout "There!" "Got one!" when they see an enemy. Oh, and "Holy crap, man down!!" and that sort stuff would be extra cool. Keep at it, it's the best mission I've played and it's not finished yet. smile_o.gif

Ahh, this is so great.

Everything is so quiet... men give signals to each other.

Really nice work, i have to say.

Just like watching a movie or something smile_o.gif

my favorite thing is shouting. i shout: "ON ME!!!" and every one repeats "OOOOOO.....NNN ME!!!"

Yeah! this system rocks!

ON ME!!! wink_o.gif

Edit: fixed spelling errors

Maby after making this final then it could be a part of ECP?

How does in influence performance (lag)?

Sounds great! biggrin_o.gif

It's too quiet heh.. Maybe add some shufling noise when you do a hand signal? And whisper or something?

I still miss controlling my AI precicley and quicker smile_o.gif And knowing who died.. Maybe I just didn't use it much.

Not my cup of tea, but keep working on it! I know how complex and hard this would have to be to make!

Edit: Actually the thing that discourages me mostly is that you have to use the radio commands, I hate radio commands, 0-0-1 then it closes, 0-0-1 then it closes ect.

Maybe an action menu or a dialog.. Dunno.

general baron, your design is really impressive ! the silence, the hands signals, the soldiers shouting plus the jungle, confused me ! and i like it very much ! the combat simulation is amazing ! I agree with mrzig, the radio command is quite annoying, but it's ok. for me it's a new breath to ofp. keep on improving it please, it has many potential !

NAMPACK 2 (ofp.info mirror)