Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Quick heads-up for ppl with amd64 cpus

Microsoft is offering Athlon64 users a FREE evaluation copy of WinXP64 which can be used for a year. There are some beta drivers available too, although I'm not sure if they come with the free copy or if you have to get them from the manufacturers.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp

Some people have reported that with beta drivers, and this beta version of Windows, they have managed to gain up to 150 extra points on 3dmark 2003. It is well possible that once drivers, OS have been stabilised and once 3dmark goes 64bit that the performance gain will be even greater!

People also managed to get it running in dual-boot, once I have my new PC together soon I will install it myself smile_o.gif

Huzzah!  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  I never thought I'd see the day Microsoft would give something away free  smile_o.gif

*UPDATE* It's pretty much the same as Windows XP Pro, except it's all blue instead of green. And it doesn't work with my sound card or ethernet card, the only way I could get online was with an old junker NIC I pulled from a system I bummed off school mad_o.gif

The wierd thing is that my Asus K8V was made for Athlon 64s, yet they don't have 64-bit drivers for most of the onbard stuff yet crazy_o.gif

Has anybody managed to run ofp client or server on a 64bit os yet? We have an AMD64 server now, and before i switch from 32bit to 64bit os, i would like to know if this works at all, as many/most 32bit applications are not supposed to work with a 64bit os sad_o.gif

Has anybody managed to run ofp client or server on a 64bit os yet? We have an AMD64 server now, and before i switch from 32bit to 64bit os, i would like to know if this works at all, as many/most 32bit applications are not supposed to work with a 64bit os  sad_o.gif

Why not be a pioneer and be the first one to try smile_o.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! FREE STUFF! biggrin_o.gif

I bet it crashes within 5 minutes, though. crazy_o.gifwink_o.gifsad_o.gif

I bet it crashes within 5 minutes, though.  crazy_o.gif  wink_o.gif  sad_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]Microsoft

Enough said blues.giftounge_o.gif

Has anybody managed to run ofp client or server on a 64bit os yet? We have an AMD64 server now, and before i switch from 32bit to 64bit os, i would like to know if this works at all, as many/most 32bit applications are not supposed to work with a 64bit os  sad_o.gif

If you don't have 64bit SATA drivers, forget about it mad_o.gif That's why my installation didn't work, I didn't have any handy, and now I can't be bothered any longer.

It is a must to have 64bit drivers for everything. As for the programmes, XP32 is running like a charm smile_o.gif

iirc from the msdn sparse info regarding prepping for Win64, Win64 will support 32-bit apps in a mini-vm, like how old NT used to do for 16-bit apps.

NT 3.51 was the last edition to do it right, with full isolation for the Win32 VM's, the posix vm, the OS2 vm, and the Win16 vm from the executive layer.

Since 32-bit stuff will be running inside a virtual box, and getting padded to fit into 64-bit addressing, 32-bit drivers will not be supported, as they can not directly access executive resources. Furthermore, 16-bit apps will no longer be supported, as padding 75% of their bit length results in too much abstraction.

Actually, i am talking about a flashpoint server running under linux here, but any experience with windows servers/clients would be fine too, as i have heard that some 32bit applications do work with 64bit linux and some won't. I guess i will test it anyway, but every time spent working on the 64bit linux is obviously downtime for my server, as this is the only 64bit system i can get my hands on. And i would really hate to take the offline for some time, only to have someone telling me AFTERWARDS "i tried that before and could have told you".

Ex-Ronin: what have SATA drivers to do with that? Are they important even when you do not use SATA drives and are running linux? Am i missing something?

Actually, i am talking about a flashpoint server running under linux here, but any experience with windows servers/clients would be fine too, as i have heard that some 32bit applications do work with 64bit linux and some won't. I guess i will test it anyway, but every time spent working on the 64bit linux is obviously downtime for my server, as this is the only 64bit system i can get my hands on. And i would really hate to take the offline for some time, only to have someone telling me AFTERWARDS "i tried that before and could have told you".

Ex-Ronin: what have SATA drivers to do with that? Are they important even when you do not use SATA drives and are running linux? Am i missing something?

Well, depends. If you have SATA drives, you need SATA drivers. If you want to use a 64bit OS, you need 64bit drivers for ALL peripherals.

WinXP64 with 32bit SATA drivers will not work.

If you have no SATA drives, this whole discussion is irrelevant to you tounge_o.gif

How do you install this sucker? It's telling me I need to boot it off a CD - am I supposed to burn the .iso file onto a disc? If so, nuts to that. I'm not wasting $0.25 on a stupid OS that probably won't even work right. crazy_o.gif

Aye, ISOs are CD images. I found it's useful to have a stack of 100 CDRs hanging around for things like that, especially because my rig doesn't have a floppy drive.

How do you install this sucker? It's telling me I need to boot it off a CD - am I supposed to burn the .iso file onto a disc? If so, nuts to that. I'm not wasting $0.25 on a stupid OS that probably won't even work right.  crazy_o.gif

That's what CD-RW media is for! smile_o.gif

So have you tried this OS?

Yeah, and the installation failed because of a distinct lack of 64bit SATA drivers smile_o.gif

Yeah, and the installation failed because of a distinct lack of 64bit SATA drivers smile_o.gif

which mb do you use? which chipset?

which mb do you use? which chipset?

MSI K8T-Neo FSRII.

MSI K8T-Neo FSRII.

very nice board smile_o.gif

via (hyperion drivers)

im not sure if you have seen this one:http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=404

Quote[/b] ]

This driver is beta only. This package contains the drivers for Windows XP 64 and Windows Server 2003 64 bit only, supporting the components for K8T800 North Bridge and VT8237 South Bridge as follows:

- VIA Audio driver for integrated controller

- VIA V-RAID, RAID utility and SATA driver

so it´s possible to use sata but not yet as os installation drive

greetz

so it´s possible to use sata but not yet as os installation drive

greetz

Yeah, I'm quite happy with it smile_o.gif

I have also seen these drivers, and I will not buy an ATA drive just for a Windows installation smile_o.gif

I have a 120GB SATA drive, and I am struggling to get past the 20GB mark, so a seond drive would be just waste crazy_o.gif

Yeah, I'm quite happy with it smile_o.gif

I have also seen these drivers, and I will not buy an ATA drive just for a Windows installation smile_o.gif

I have a 120GB SATA drive, and I am struggling to get past the 20GB mark, so a seond drive would be just waste crazy_o.gif

wow_o.gif  you don´t need more than 20gb on your hd?

my main sys has 320 gb and i need more (already ordered a Maxtor MaxLine Plus II 250GB)

it seems you only play ofp on your A64  biggrin_o.gif

it seems you only play ofp on your A64  biggrin_o.gif

And Championship Manager wink_o.gif

How do you install this sucker? It's telling me I need to boot it off a CD - am I supposed to burn the .iso file onto a disc? If so, nuts to that. I'm not wasting $0.25 on a stupid OS that probably won't even work right. crazy_o.gif

That's what CD-RW media is for! smile_o.gif

Actually, I've got two DVD-RWs... but I have kind of lost interest in this now. sad_o.gif

So have you tried this OS?

Unfortunately, that's what you get for being on the bleeding edge of technology. sad_o.gif

Ahh, I REALLY think my idea of upgrading my CPU to Athlon XP 3200 Barton (on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe) keeps getting better and better (have a 2400 now)... tounge_o.gif