Sign in to follow this  
OmniMax

Ak model spetznats-b

the AN-94 akaban is a compleltly different rifle from the Ak-74 and i doubt even the spetsnaz use it because it is so expensive sad_o.gif

I thought the Russian government decided to phase over into the AN-94. But if it's true it'll probably take until 2070 for it to come into remote mainstream use....

And I do belive the AN-94 has seen action in Chechnya, wich all new Russian material does sooner or later it seems:;):

EDIT: Also the bullet next to the magazine is used to launch the grenade. I think most modern underbarrel grenades/rifle grenades use the same method of firing.

Quote[/b] ]I think he is referring to the AK-47 in Spetznaz configuration, the weapon BIS used as the Speznaz weapon in OFP. You know, the "silver" one. Only in OFP it uses AK-74 ammo and is also used by crew.

It is called the something-beta and is only used by Spetznaz, AFAIK.   I think this must be it. An AKS-47U or whatever they call the airborne/shortened version.

I think Hellfish is referring to the same thing.

It's called AKS-47U, was nicknamed by the troops in Afgan as "muhaboika". It was said that if you'd take the muzzlebrake off of it, the flame (when you fire it) would be something like 1.5 meters long. Good thing is that it wasn't used for long..

Quote[/b] ]Yes, according to the DRJ the Abakan was used in chechnya as Russians found that they were facing too many enemies with body armour - the Abakan is extremely good against body armour.

Why would it be extremely good against body armor ? is there something special about this gun that I don't know ?

I mean, it fires the same 5,45x39mm ammo (standard 7N6's), and it's a bit more accurate then AK-74 (in burst fire), other then that, there is nothing so special about it... sure, if you load it up with 7N22's or 24's it will be better against the body armor, but so is the AK-74.

Quote[/b] ]the AN-94 akaban is a compleltly different rifle from the Ak-74 and i doubt even the spetsnaz use it because it is so expensive

There are quiete a few reasons why it is not used, the main one, is that it has nothing special/new, sure, it is a bit accurate in burst fire then both AKM and AK-74 series, but it is also more complex and less reliable, which means that the troops would have to clean it more often, and they would need more time to do that (assamble/disassemble).

You should also know that most of the SN teams don't need a highly accurate and fancy assault rifle, but a rifle that gets the job done, and so far the AKM and AK-74 series have done an accelent job.

I think Hellfish is referring to the same thing.

It's called AKS-47U, was nicknamed by the troops in Afgan as "muhaboika".

AFAIK "muhaboika" means a flyswatter? Nice name. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Yes, according to the DRJ the Abakan was used in chechnya as Russians found that they were facing too many enemies with body armour - the Abakan is extremely good against body armour.

Why would it be extremely good against body armor ? is there something special about this gun that I don't know ?

I mean, it fires the same 5,45x39mm ammo (standard 7N6's), and it's a bit more accurate then AK-74 (in burst fire), other then that, there is nothing so special about it... sure, if you load it up with 7N22's or 24's it will be better against the body armor, but so is the AK-74.

It's better against body armour because in the 2 round burst mode it fires both rounds before recoil has affected the rifle, resulting in both rounds impacting in the same area (in mm) - meaning that the first round shatters the protective plate of the body armour, the second goes through it.

Thats what is so special about it. No other weapon can do that - no other weapon can guarantee 2 rounds hitting in the same place one after the other.

The later recoil effect is due to the retracting barrel right? From my understanding the barrel goes back quite a bit when a round is fired. Is it just something I imagined whilst watching a video of the AN-94 firing?

Partly, and partly due to a revolutionary breech design.

More info available on the net, for example here

Quote[/b] ]The heart of the AN-94 is the more or less common gas operated, rotating bolt, long piston stroke action. The barrel with the gas chamber above it is mounted on the receiver, which holds the reciprocating bolt carrier with relatively short rotating bolt. The receiver is allowed to recoil inside the plastic gun shell or housing, against the receiver recoil spring. This spring is located under the receiver, at the bottom of the housing and to the left, and because of this the magazine is offset and inclined from vertical to the right. The rod under the barrel, which looks like the gas tube, is, in fact, a forward guide for the recoiling barrel / receiver assembly. This rod also used as a forward mounting point for the grenade launcher. The cocking handle is attached directly to the right side of the bolt carrier.

The feed system is quite unconventional, since it had to transfer the rounds from stationary magazine and into the recoiling receiver. To achieve this, AN-94 uses a two-stage feed, that comprises a feedway, built into the bottom of the recoiling receiver, and a separate rammer, that is used to feed the cartridges from the magazine and into the feedway.

In brief, the AN-94 works as follows. First, let's assume that the full magazine is inserted and the chamber is empty, receiver / barrel assembly is in the forward position. When one pulls the charging handle, the bolt carrier goes back, unlocking and retracting the bolt. At the same time, the rammer, which is linked to the bolt carrier via the thin steel cable and a large pulley, goes forward, stripping the first round from the magazine and placing it into the feedway in the receiver. Another action that takes the place the same time is the cocking of the hammer, which is also located in the recoiling receiver. When the charging handle is released, the bolt assembly goes forward, slamming the cartridge from the feedway and into the chamber, and locks the barrel. Now, the gun is ready to fire.

When fire selector is placed to the "full auto" mode, and the trigger is pressed, following happens. As soon as the fired bullet passed the gas port, the traditional gas operated action begins. Since the bolt group is relatively light and the amount of the gas pressure is carefully calculated, the bolt group rapidly goes back, unlocking the barrel, extracting and ejecting the spent case. Due to the recoil impulse, the barrel receiver assembly begins to recoil inside the gun housing, compressing the recoil spring. At the same time, the cartridge rammer quickly strips the next cartridge from the magazine and introduces it into the feedway. The bolt group, under the influence of its main spring and the return buffer spring, rapidly goes forward, chambering the second round from the feedway. As soon as the bolt group locks the barrel, the hammer is released automatically, and the second shot is fired with the theoretical rate of fire of 1800 rounds per minute. At this moment the receiver is still recoiling inside the housing, and its recoil is accumulated and not yet affects the shooter and the position of the gun. When the second bullet is fired and left the barrel, the recoil cycle of the receiver / barrel group is stopped, and the hammer is held in the cocked position. At this moment the shooter feels the recoil of two fired rounds simultaneously, "shifted in time". The reloading cycle continued as described above, but the hammer is held until the recoiling unit will not be returned into the forward position. If the gun was set to the "2 rounds bursts" mode, the hammer will be held cocked until the trigger will be released and then pulled again. If the gun was set to the "burst mode", the hammer unit will switch itself automatically to the low rate of fire, and will release itself only once per complete recoil cycle.