Sign in to follow this  
General Barron

New editor upgrade - works with kegety's

Grab it here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=612

The Problem

As you may know, when Kegetys updated Gunslinger's editor upgrade for resistance, he hid a number of objects that he considered "useless", such as a head, a soccer ball, a trashcan, some furniture, and many others. The objects could still be made either through changing the mission.sqm, or by camcreate.

The Solution

I don't think I'm alone when I say "I wish he hadn't done that". So I have gone and unhidden all those objects, with a couple of exceptions. I left hidden a few objects that are already available, such as sandbags, and I left hidden many objects that were duplicates (the same object only with "EAST" at the end of its name)--with the exception of MASH objects: there is one for each side, so units of that side will heal at them on their own.  I also have changed the vehicle class of all the units, so that they fall under different catagories than "objects", "support", etc. The catagories are:

EU - Buildings

Residential houses and buildings of all sizes; churches; burned Kolgujev houses. Also castle walls and ruins.

EU - Military Bldgs

Military buildings and structures, such as the yellowish houses in bases on the CWC islands, viewtowers, camo netting, etc.

EU - Roads/Fences

Road sections, road signs, fences and walls of all sorts, telephone poles, etc.

EU - Bush/Trees

Bushes, grasses and single trees.

EU - Furnishings

Furniture such as sofas, tables, sinks and toilets, paintings, etc. Also small objects that would most likely be placed indoors, such as computers, radios, notebooks, bottles, etc.

EU - Units

Units and vehicles, such as M1A1/T80s with 1 AI, civillian militia with AT weapon slots, Guba and Angelina. Also in this catagory are the "civillian dummy" objects.

EU - Misc

All remaining objects that wouldn't fit in other catagories, such as shrapnel, blood splotch, footprints, white flares, ladders, etc.

Most of the objects can be found under the "empty" side; the main exception being the "EU - Units" catagory, which has units under each side. Also, many objects can be placed under the "civillian" side; however, I HIGHLY recommend you just place them under the "empty" side instead.

To Use

Replace your old editor upgrade with the new one (duh). For multiplayer games, however, you should put the old editor upgrade back. Alternatively, you could set up two different mod folders, and load up the Kegety's one for MP, and this one for editing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Try it out, and let me know what you think. Sorry Kegetys, but I got tired of your upgrade smile_o.gif. I hope many people download this and start using all those nifty little objects that they may have forgotten about. I like missions with lots of scenery  tounge_o.gif

Ah good work baron , the only catch now is to GET people to d/ld this and use it so it becomes standard smile_o.gif

Doesn't the PBO's file name have to be the same as Kegetys' in order to retain compatibility with missions that reference the EU?

Edit: frankly, I would suggest using the old file name just to help prevent many cases of players not removing the old file.

Nope smile_o.gif

The class CfgPatches is the same (in the config.cpp), and that's all that matters.

But if it makes you feel more comfortable, go ahead and rename the pbo. I just gave it a different name so you would know which EU you were running, and you don't get them mixed up. Wouldn't want all those nasty "modified config" files in MP crazy_o.gif

I just gave it a different name so you would know which EU you were running, and you don't get them mixed up.

Knowing how people don't read READMEs and that lots of folks pile their addons into a single mod folder, I bet there are going to be a lot more requests for help from conflicts when using a new file name versus retaining the old name.

edit: while you're here, GB, so............... how about some more missions? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Knowing how people don't read READMEs and that lots of folks pile their addons into a single mod folder, I bet there are going to be a lot more requests for help from conflicts when using a new file name versus retaining the old name.

Hmmm..... good point. Perhaps I will rename the file to the same as Kegetys, and put a line in the readme telling people that they can change the name of the file with no problems, if it helps them keep track of which is which.

Quote[/b] ]how about some more missions?

Lol.... I am the kind of person who starts a project, works on it fanatically for a while, then starts another one before I finish the old one. But I almost have something to show!

Hopefully by the end of next weekend, I'll put up an alpha version of a vietnam mission I've been working on since September. Its a whole new OFP experience, really. You have to command your Marines through shouts and hand signals. No birds-eye view this time! I'll let you know when I put it up for testing. smile_o.gif

Also, I've been doing a lot of scripting/addon work for Kueter, and his latest mission "D vs the Undead". It should be coming out for testing around mid-late febuary. (Actually, he released a "final" version already a few months ago, which was a good mission already. But I messaged him and started doing some scripting for him. This new version should be excellent, but I haven't played it yet)

Quote[/b] ]Knowing how people don't read READMEs and that lots of folks pile their addons into a single mod folder, I bet there are going to be a lot more requests for help from conflicts when using a new file name versus retaining the old name.

Hmmm..... good point. Perhaps I will rename the file to the same as Kegetys, and put a line in the readme telling people that they can change the name of the file with no problems, if it helps them keep track of which is which.

Rather than suggesting that people rename files (which I think is a bad idea), I would simply document in the readme the external file datestamps of Gunslinger's EU and Kegetys' EA files. That's been the easiest way I could identify these files, especially when mission makers enclose them along with their missions (another bad idea, IMO).

Quote[/b] ]Hopefully by the end of next weekend, I'll put up an alpha version of a vietnam mission I've been working on since September. Its a whole new OFP experience, really. You have to command your Marines through shouts and hand signals.

/avon shouts at monitor and makes with the hands - resulting in stares from fellow office workers

hehe Barron you using the old Hand signal code ?

Dont use it unless you found a way out of that gun in hand bug fix sad_o.gif

What old Hand signal code? rock.gif

I coded the whole darn thing myself, entirely from scratch unclesam.gif

I'm also making my own animations, in part because of that gun in hand problem, and also because there are only a couple of signals to begin with. smile_o.gif

What old Hand signal code?  rock.gif

I coded the whole darn thing myself, entirely from scratch  unclesam.gif

I'm also making my own animations, in part because of that gun in hand problem, and also because there are only a couple of signals to begin with.  smile_o.gif

I had one long time ago prolly from OFPEC it was buggy the officer after issuing orders went in to safe to danger mode , he suddenly had his gun at the back and then takes of it back again after that order that was very annoying crazy_o.gif

Good to here you made one yourself looking forward to it smile_o.gif

cool Barron,

sounds really nice.

Is it compatible with the "old" editorupdate102? (Can i still play/edit maps using the old one?)

Is it compatible with the "old" editorupdate102? (Can i still play/edit maps using the old one?)

Look back a page. GB said that it's fully compatible for SP.

For MP, he suggests using Kegetys'. I assume the reason why is because of concern for file checksum mismatches when connecting to most servers that still use Kegetys' version.

That's not really a problem as we use ofp watch for distributing addons. But we are using another updated/fixed editorupdate from zeus server and i would like to know if those corrections are in this editorupdate also before switching addons on the server.

Quote[/b] ]But we are using another updated/fixed editorupdate from zeus server and i would like to know if those corrections are in this editorupdate also before switching addons on the server.

I'm not farmilliar with what "corrections" you're talking about, I'm afraid, so I can't answer your question. The only "corrections" I've applied are that I've "unlocked" the items from Gunslinger's EU that Kegetys hid, and I've also organized the objects into clearly marked catagories. Could you direct me to the EU you're using please?

Quote[/b] ]I tried getting it from that OFPEC page bit it returns:

File information not found in dbase. Unable to download.

Grrrr..... well, OFPEC is supposed to be up by tommorrow, so hopefully I'll fix it then. In the meantime, I'll post a freewebs mirror, and include a README

Quote[/b] ]Would it be best to give this addon a nickname of "The GBEU"?

Or "Barron's EU"?

Well, I wouldn't call it "Barron's EU", because I'd be taking WAY too much credit for something, when really all the credit still goes to Gunslinger and Kegetys  wink_o.gif  I've just been calling it the "Editor's Edition", as in "Editor Upgrade - Editor's Edition" (I know kinda repetitive ;) ). I say that because if you are a mission editor, this should make your life easier; but if you just play missions, there is no need at all to get this, really. I suppose "General Barron Edition" would also be modest enough smile_o.gif

Okay, you can grab the most up-to-date file (with readme) from my freewebs site. Copy and paste this link into your browser's window:

www.freewebs.com/general-barron/downloads/editorupdate_GENBed.zip

The difference is this:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">requiredVersion = 1.85;

requiredAddons[] = {bis_resistance};

Required Version has been bumped to 185 to make the requiredAddons Feature work and requiredAddons has been inserted. Without this the addon can make trouble in MP because it's addon dependencies are not declared correctly.

The difference is this:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">requiredVersion = 1.85;

requiredAddons[] = {bis_resistance};

Required Version has been bumped to 185 to make the requiredAddons Feature work and requiredAddons has been inserted. Without this the addon can make trouble in MP because it's addon dependencies are not declared correctly.

Hmm.... wasn't aware of that. I've made an updated version and included that fix. Big thanks for the tip, benu!

I've updated my freewebs d/l, and the ofpec one (though it still doesn't seem to work...). Thanks for the mirrors, Avon and joltan. Please update them with the (hopefully) final version, if you would be so kind!

updated. BTW: While OFPEC is as slow as usual the download is still working fine - all you need is patience... ;)

Thanks has to go to Killswitch from Zeus server. I merely copied those changes here.