Sign in to follow this  
JAP

Pes 3 / we7

I had PES on my PS1 a while back, tried it once for about 30 mins, thought "this is crap", went back to Fifa or whatever, kept hearing people say how wonderful PES is, thought I'd give it another shot, couldn't believe that all these people were such idiots thinking it was great, forced myself to sit down and play it, slowly it just hooks you in, one great passing move resulting in a half chance you nearly take, one perfectly timed sliding tackle that saves you from a clear goal, all the perfect moments that feel so much like real football and none of this Fifa football-on-a-string crap.

Fifa may be easy to pick up and play, PES is harder to pick up and play, but PES plays properly.

I m waiting for the Logitech Dual gamepad before buying the PC version, sounds good with the downloadable patches etc and this way i dont have to wait untill the wife doesnt need the tv to play a game of footy tounge_o.gif

Can i suggest getting a Ps2 to pc usb converter and an original PS2 pad. ive tried using pads other than the sony one and its deffinatly better with the official pad. for a converter try consoleplus.co.uk if you are in the UK. on that page you will find about 12 different types of converters. i got the super joybox 3 converter (8th one down) which cost about a tenner with p+p, and takes about 3 to 4 days to deliver.

Then get your self a ps1/ps2 pad (ten quid for ps1 & 20 for ps2).

Quote[/b] ]I had PES on my PS1 a while back, tried it once for about 30 mins, thought "this is crap", went back to Fifa or whatever, kept hearing people say how wonderful PES is, thought I'd give it another shot, couldn't believe that all these people were such idiots thinking it was great, forced myself to sit down and play it, slowly it just hooks you in, one great passing move resulting in a half chance you nearly take, one perfectly timed sliding tackle that saves you from a clear goal, all the perfect moments that feel so much like real football and none of this Fifa football-on-a-string crap.

I remember bringing ISS pro to work to play in our staff room and at first nobody could get to grips with it, also everybody was a die hard Fifa fan. But gradualy over a week or so everybody converted to Iss. you would find people finishing there shift and spending about half an hour practising before going home. Or even worse was that people would come into work early simply to have a tounament.....very addictive.

I think one of the reasons i like ofp is because of it's realism and unpredictability, it's the same with Pes3, you could play 5 games back to back and i could guarantee that each game would be different. you could have a thrilling 4-0 victory or a mind numbing 0-0 draw, but each one would be different.

Another thing that i love about this game is that you could have had this game for 6 months and you would be seeing things that you had never previously seen i.e goals scored in certain styles, different animations etc.......truly stunning

Can i suggest getting a Ps2 to pc usb converter and an original PS2 pad. ive tried using pads other than the sony one and its deffinatly better with the official pad. for a converter try consoleplus.co.uk if you are in the UK. on that page you will find about 12 different types of converters. i got the super joybox 3 converter (8th one down) which cost about a tenner with p+p, and takes about 3 to 4 days to deliver.

Does your converter let you use the D-Pad for control? I bought one from play.com and I can only use the analogue controller which I don't like using sad_o.gif

I´ve played this game since ISS Deluxe on Nintendo 64 and now playin´ PES3 (PS2) which is the best footie game ever made. People argue over WE and PES, but I haven´t really played WE so hard to tell. Mostly I hear that WE is more realistic with lower pace, but to me PES3 seems perfect! Anyways here two good websites for PES fanatics!

You can easily update the game yourself with the help of these sites!

http://www.mlfsbrazil.hpg.ig.com.br/

http://www.pesinsight.com/

Thx for the headsup on that converter.

The Logitech gamepad really looks like a PS2 gamepad so i was waiting for that, but i have around 4-5 ps controllers lying around here so would be cool to recuperate one of them for PC use.

I dont know when i ll be buying the PC version cause i m really NOT looking forward starting from scratch and Div 2 again, but with the knowledge patches for kits, flags and teamnames/players names changes i m willing to bite through the bitter pill of giving up my hardfought PES money ... sad_o.gif

I started with ISS too ( first one on PS ), but ISS is the more arcadish version of this.

And you re right, playing it for years still give you moments of things, goals, moves you never saw before.

I hope they know in the store if D pad works, cause i hate the analog stick too, i only use the right one for the special moves ... if i have time to execute them that is ...

It took me a few hours to get used to PES3 though. Put in PES2 and play for it for 10 minutes ... being used to PES3 it goes alot faster and makes you fall asleep from PES2. But it took some getting used to.

Cheers

I've played WE7 and PES3 extensively, the main differences between the two are that in WE7 heading is much much harder, heading in PES3 is a smidge too easy whereas in WE7 it's very difficult, also in WE7 the bias against human tackling AI was insanely stupid, it's still bad enough in PES3 that often you make a really good clean tackle but because it's against AI it's called a foul, then the AI does something even worse on you and the referee ignores it, does make it all that more rewarding thrashing the opposition no matter how much they do cheat on 5* smile_o.gif

The one thing that PES4 really really really needs is to scrap the master league crap and bring in proper league structure with many more teams, Fifa2004 pisses on PES3 from a great height when it comes to teams/leagues/competitions, unfortunately (or fortunately for Konami) Fifa2004 plays an absolutely dire game of football, it's like comparing Opf with CS when looking for a serious, tactical combat game with depth.

Edit: For those that don't know ISS is made by completely different people and a completely different company to WE/PES, that's why ISS is so arcadey (lame) and WE/PES is so good smile_o.gif

Does your converter let you use the D-Pad for control? I bought one from play.com and I can only use the analogue controller which I don't like using sad_o.gif

Yes, ive tried it with a ps1 and ps2 pad and it works perfectly.

I tend to use the analogue stick, but that's mainly because my fingers/hands start to go numb after about 2 hours of non stop play.

Quote[/b] ]The one thing that PES4 really really really needs is to scrap the master league crap and bring in proper league structure with many more teams, Fifa2004 pisses on PES3 from a great height when it comes to teams/leagues/competitions, unfortunately (or fortunately for Konami) Fifa2004 plays an absolutely dire game of football, it's like comparing Opf with CS when looking for a serious, tactical combat game with depth.

It's a shame that Konami/Kct cant get there act together and make the ultimate/complete football game by giving us the obvious i.e players with proper names licenced teams/leagues.

Im just glad they released it on pc, so hopefully the Pes3 community can finish it off  biggrin_o.gif

I m pretty sure it ll improve next year !

Found this on the PES forum. It s from a conversation with one of the makers.

Quote[/b] ]PCZ: Finally, will PES4 have completely fully-licensed teams?

Takatsuka: Yes, were hoping. We can tell you that it wont get worse! Were already aquiring more licenses for this game and the teams personal dream is to have PES fully-licensed. Its not the R&D side, but the political company side. The future is bright for us in that area.

Also he talked about the PC version of next year and the chances being big it ll support multiplayer.

Gonna go buy that gamepad converter today and the PC version. Hope it works out and PC version is a challenge, cause i read that is much easier to win then on PS2 ... i hope not !

Cheers

OK, I gave that PES3 demo another go today and it wasn't as bad. I'll play it again tomorrow and hope that it grows on me... I really want it to be good!

One thing that doesn't help is that when you're new to it it can be very very tough and that makes it frustrating, don't know if the PC demo lets you adjust skill level, best bet when starting is to set the skill very low, just knock it around their box and try some shooting, helps to get sucked in when you see the variety and quality of the goals you can score smile_o.gif

I played England against Germany at the two-star difficulty and got whomped. I need to figure out how to head the ball and defend properly... crazy_o.gif

I made a thread at the Evo-web forums about how to head well, I'll see if I can find it again, definitely hold the button down until you've headed the ball and pull the opposite direction just before you head it to get a more solid head to the ball smile_o.gif

Hellfish,

Here are some short replay movies of all kinds of goals.

Worth taking a look, no goal is the same, man there are some classy movies there, yummie ...

Replay movies PES/WE goals

Cheers

A bit OT but:

On the subject of football, I'd like to express my condoleances to the family and friends of Miklos Feher, who collapsed and died of a heart attack on the pitch, in a match of the Portuguese league, terrible thing to happen...

sad_o.gif

Edit: For those who who dont know, Miklos Feher was the best Hungarian international striker around.

LOL @ Jap, I was just about to do the same thing smile_o.gif

http://newstarsoccer.com/html/we7_master_class.htm

Bonko the Sane: Yeah I just read about this, terrible sad_o.gif

Nice link placebo

Explains the moves made also ... guess it s practise time tonight !

Cheers

@ Hellfish :

Some tips that work for me : in defense, dont go running after the ball like a madman, just let them come on your half, start hunting with the midfielders and dont let them draw your defense away.

Doubletapping on the lob button will automaticly cross to the nearest player, triple tapping lob button will bring it to the 1st pole.

Doubletapping shootbutton will either do a diving header or a volley ( ball gotta be right height and distance away, it s difficult )

When trying to get a good cross in, let the midfielder/defender close in on the man in possession, pass back to him and let cross the ball in, most of the time you wont hit a defender that way who blocks the ball

Pass alot !

Shooting works best when not keeping the run button pressed also after a run do a few steps without runbutton pressed before taking a shot for best result

PS : i cant get enough of these replay movies, man some sweet goals in them !

My fave/most common type of goal is, forward or winger runs it into the corner, pass back to the center/edge of the box, midfielder runs onto the ball, tap shoot, and he hammers a first time shot, often a cracking top corner goal from 20m+ smile_o.gif

My fave/most common type of goal is, forward or winger runs it into the corner, pass back to the center/edge of the box, midfielder runs onto the ball, tap shoot, and he hammers a first time shot, often a cracking top corner goal from 20m+ smile_o.gif

I m more of a penetrate other side's half through mid, cut out a few defenders, let wing midfielder come up, pass in his run, he crosses in from the side, ball turns away from keeper, keeper follows it, chest ball down, and hammer it in with other player waiting.

Or the more desperate one .... 2-1 behind almost stoppage time in 2nd half ... you need the goal ....

turn and turn and turn just to get a good angle infront of their penalty box .... aaaaaaaaagh, not working ... stupid defenders, get away, clock ticking, i need this goal, plzzzz ...... wrong press on d-pad, ball stupidly and slowly hobbles away from you, yes, you almost got it ... aaaaaah defender clears ball, no not over to my half, the ref is gonna whistle then, noooooooooooooo  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

/edit : forgot something : *hits sofa ...

The latter happens to me more ofcourse lol ...

Damn now i m pissed again.

I played England against Germany at the two-star difficulty and got whomped.

One thing i think people over look with Pes is formation. this can make or break you so it's worth experimenting. I tend to use 3-5-2 formation. Three defenders, five in midfield and two up front. the main strength in this formation for me lays in the midfield, they can support the defence equally well as supporting the attack.

I can also remember one of the first times i played ISS and the opposition had complete control over the midfield, and i was having trouble winning the ball in the air, so I decided to look at my players and sure enough my midfielders were a bit shorter than the opposition so changed my players around and it made a massive difference. It's little things like this that can win a match.

Favourite goals

I love doing the feints i.e your running to wards the keeper with the ball and you are flanked by two defenders, when you are about eight foot away from the keeper hit the shoot button(Square) and slide down to the x Button(you have to do this very quickly) and you will wrong foot the keeper and defenders and this will alow you to go around them and score. Looks really good if you can pull it off.

Also if you are advancing to wards the oppositions goal and you are just outside there penalty area and your players are in the right position, press Triangle to lob the ball over the advancing defence and and if you have a striker in the penalty area he will bring the ball down over his shoulder and you can volley the ball into the net or you can use the feint technique. again this looks really good if you can do this but i find that it gets harder to do with every new version of Pes.

I played 4-4-2 with the midfield being a diamond of defensive midfielder and attacking midfielder, but because I've been playing the game for so long (9 seasons in, won Div1 title 8 seasons in a row on 5*) it was getting a bit too easy so I changed to a standard 4-4-2 to give the opposition a bit more of a chance smile_o.gif

Nice to learn something new every day, was reading the evo-web forums while at work, someone was saying hold down R2 for an extra powerful low shot, thought they were full of hot air, was playing a league match against someone, Beckham had the ball on the left, cuts inside, long way from goal, I hold down R2 and shoot, the ball flies in, after match stat shows it as a 27m goal, which is my longest non-freekick, non-flukey-bad-goalkeeper goal on 5* smile_o.gif

Just lost the finals of the cup sad_o.gif

Was tense, played all the way to a 0-0 tie in overtime.

Missed 3 penalties, saved 3 from other side, then missed a 4 th and couldnt save that last penalty so i lost. All in all were about 20 penalties taken ....

*sniff

Oh well, ranked 1st in first season of 1st division, need only a tie to win it with 3 matches to go smile_o.gif

Cheers

aaaaaaaaaah sad_o.gif

Lost the 3rd last match in prim. Division in stoppage time ...

Was leading 1-0 in 85th minute ... damnit damnit damnit

Man i hate loosing in stoppage time.

Well 2 more chances of getting at least a tie and ending 1st in my 1st season in prim. division.

This will not happen anymore once i get Henry next season.

Cheers sad_o.gif

The Logitech gamepad really looks like a PS2 gamepad so i was waiting for that, but i have around 4-5 ps controllers lying around here so would be cool to recuperate one of them for PC use.

I bought my Logitech dual analog gamepad a month ago, and my left analog stick doesn't work well anymore. It doesn't move completely to the right.

I was a gravis game pad pro user for years, but got the logitech just now because the game i'm playing now madden 2004, needs 2 analog sticks to use all the functions.

I still can use the game pad, but it's not the same, can't do cutbacks the same. Hope the shop will take it back and give me a new one.

I bought my Logitech dual analog gamepad a month ago, and my left analog stick doesn't work well anymore.  It doesn't move completely to the right.  

I was a gravis game pad pro user for years, but got the logitech just now because the game i'm playing now madden 2004, needs 2 analog sticks to use all the functions.

I still can use the game pad, but it's not the same, can't do cutbacks the same.  Hope the shop will take it back and give me a new one.

If you kept the receipt and packaging you should be alright. If you look at the receipt it should the stores returns policy on it.

I've played WE7 and PES3 extensively, the main differences between the two are that in WE7 heading is much much harder, heading in PES3 is a smidge too easy whereas in WE7 it's very difficult, also in WE7 the bias against human tackling AI was insanely stupid, it's still bad enough in PES3 that often you make a really good clean tackle but because it's against AI it's called a foul, then the AI does something even worse on you and the referee ignores it, does make it all that more rewarding thrashing the opposition no matter how much they do cheat on 5* smile_o.gif

The one thing that PES4 really really really needs is to scrap the master league crap and bring in proper league structure with many more teams, Fifa2004 pisses on PES3 from a great height when it comes to teams/leagues/competitions, unfortunately (or fortunately for Konami) Fifa2004 plays an absolutely dire game of football, it's like comparing Opf with CS when looking for a serious, tactical combat game with depth.

Edit: For those that don't know ISS is made by completely different people and a completely different company to WE/PES, that's why ISS is so arcadey (lame) and WE/PES is so good smile_o.gif

Fifa is weird.

Notts County is "Notts Country" in game.

Andy Ried isn't in the game.

Eoin Jess has a big mutash.

Des walker is white.

they didn't do well with division 1 or below.