Sign in to follow this  
SpecOp9

Next time you think sci-fi, think again

From the NASA control center, check out the guy on the left tounge_o.gif :

top.jubilation.ap.jpg

Looks like the pringles guy.

and he is making a funny face....

and the guy next to him with his hands in the air.. hes a bit used to being straped, and whiped by his boss huh?

Look at his face.. looks like hes tryin to push out razor blades from you know where...

Anyway, to get back on topic:

NASA.

There.

back on topic. lol

tounge_o.gif

rock.gif Pfffff to you! Unlike in movies in RL space is black and white. The rays from the sun split when they hit the ozon layer, thus creating colours, but obvioulsy that's not possible in space. That's why the south pole is almost completely white because there's a gap in the ozon layer. You'd better do some reading if you didn't know that already!

tounge_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

rock.gif Pfffff to you! Unlike in movies in RL space is black and white. The rays from the sun split when they hit the ozon layer, thus creating colours, but obvioulsy that's not possible in space. That's why the south pole is almost completely white because there's a gap in the ozon layer. You'd better do some reading if you didn't know that already!

tounge_o.gif

Reading? I dont like reading books  tounge_o.gif it's a time waster  tounge_o.gif

Edit: Ok i do read them when i am waiting in the airport or in the flight when im not sleeping tounge_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

A repeat for those of you who didn't see this above:

Quote[/b] ]
It's a shame and a shock they didn't put a color camera on.

Read the news:

NASA Awaits Rover's Color Photos of Mars

Quote[/b] ]NASA said Spirit's first color images could be transmitted to Earth early Monday, relayed by a second spacecraft in orbit around the Red Planet.

*snort* He looks funny.

I think this is funnier:

capt.ny12001052102.mars_rovedr_ny120.jpg

Wearing special glasses, James Garvin, left, chief scientist for

Mars exploration, and Don Savage, NASA public affairs officer

look at a 3-D image from the Spirit rover on Mars, at the Jet

Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, Calif., on Monday Jan. 5,

*snort* He looks funny.

I think this is funnier:

capt.ny12001052102.mars_rovedr_ny120.jpg

Wearing special glasses, James Garvin, left, chief scientist for

Mars exploration, and Don Savage, NASA public affairs officer

look at a 3-D image from the Spirit rover on Mars, at the Jet

Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, Calif., on Monday Jan. 5,

"OMG WHATS THAT! Looks like.... *gasp* a ROCK!"

lol :P

Seriously though. Is this 3d thing the high resolution images they were bragging about? I hope not. I want my colour images and i want them now!!!

They're here!

capt.ny11301061737.mars_rover_ny113.jpg

The smooth surfaces of angular and rounded rocks seen in

this image of the martian terrain released by NASA Tuesday

Jan. 6, 2004 may be the result of wind-polishing debris. The

pictue was taken by the panoramic camera on the Mars

Exploration Rover Spirit. NASA unveiled a breathtaking color

photo of the surface of Mars, the sharpest photograph ever

taken on the surface of Mars. NASA scientists called the

picture a 'postcard,' sent across 105 million miles of space to

Earth. (AP Photo/photo released by NASA, JPL, Cornell

University)

So................................................... where are the lil' green people? rock.giftounge_o.gif

Mmmm...stones and saand...

But to imagine that you can send these kind of colour pictures all the way from Mars here, then send them across the world to my computer screen! biggrin_o.gif

This is beginning to play out like that ancient cornball movie "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines".

They go uppetty-up-up.

They go downdy-down-down:

Quote[/b] ]Scientists Pin Mars Beagle Hopes on Mother Ship  

2 hours, 38 minutes ago

By Jason Hopps

LONDON (Reuters) - European scientists begin last ditch attempts on Wednesday to contact the missing Beagle 2 Mars probe that might have crashed during its Christmas Day touchdown.

6303082866.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

But to imagine that you can send these kind of colour pictures all the way from Mars here, then send them across the world to my computer screen! biggrin_o.gif

It was more impressive last time. They trasmitted the images to my National Geographic Magazine back then. wow_o.gif

Those rocks haven't moved all these years. biggrin_o.gif

PIA04995_br.jpg

[FULL REZ - 8 MB]

Now we are taliking  wink_o.gif Poor bastards, they're downloading it at a maximum speed of 11 kb/s  wow_o.gif

Mars looks like a nice place to settle down: lots of space and all the rocks that you can eat smile_o.gif

So far, these pics are about as informative as the ones taken in the Viking/Pathfinder missions years ago.

So far, these pics are about as informative as the ones taken in the Viking/Pathfinder missions years ago.

The full resolution is about ten times as high as the Pathfinder and even more than Viking. If you're refering to the contents of the pictures - well - that's how Mars looks smile_o.gif

They have a whole lot of new instruments - very accurate chemical analysis tools and new mass spectrometers that will give more new information.

Good stuff.

I'd love to be the guy who gets to drive the little rover around. How do you get that job in the first place?

Anyway, I saw a NOVA show on the mars lander today. The thing I love about NASA is that they're a big team. Reminds me of being in grade school and the teacher would assign us all a task and we'd all have to work together to get it done.

Anybody else have to design a parachute that would safely deliver an egg in a shoebox from the top of a nearby watertower?

Yes.

Except my tax dollars weren't paying the students in my class. I like NASA and I think they do a valuable service, but they're a beauracracy and I think that, in and of itself, breeds a culture of inefficiency. I think the privatization of space, or at least forcing NASA to seriously compete with another entity, will yield more results faster.

I didn't feel like this until I read the Columbia Report.

Still, it is pretty damn cool to see pics from Mars again. smile_o.gif

I like NASA and I think they do a valuable service, but they're a beauracracy and I think that, in and of itself, breeds a culture of inefficiency. I think the privatization of space, or at least forcing NASA to seriously compete with another entity, will yield more results faster.

I'm thinking the other way around - make an international space agency that replaces all the national ones. First of all, it would lead to a more stable development as it wouldn't depend on the current fiscal situation in the individual countries.

Secondly, it would be more fair to share the economic burden as space exploration is something that all human kind benefits from.

The three big ones today, NASA, RKA and ESA have specialized in different areas.

NASA is the master of orbital physics. They also excel at materials and mechanics.

RKA (Russian Space Agency) has always been the master of heavy lift. Their largest launch vehicle can carry 10x larger weight than the space shuttle.

ESA is without a doubt best at computerisation and miniaturization. The Americans and Russians use very old software and often hardware because of reliability issues. ESA on the other hand has insisted on using state of the art methods (better, cheaper and less reliable).

If all joined forces, a manned mission to mars would be possible within a few years. The crucial part, a strong enough launch vehicle, the Russians already have.

problem is, stagnant attitude from non-competitive situation might occur, and won't get anything done. during the cold war, both USSR and US were trying to be 'the first' in space exploration, thus creating a competitive atmosphere in space exploration.

with a unified agency, this could be an issue since they will be the sole agency that is able to conduct theses. unless we have some privatized firms trying to outdo the agency and nudge them a bit, it is an eventuality.

second problem would be funding and end credit sharing, i'm sure there will be a culture of disdain for other parts of the unified agency.