Sign in to follow this  
Croatia -ICL-

Cheaters, bans and id copiers.

The other day, on our server (www.icl-cti.tk) i was hosting a OFP Match. A person with a ID that i banned had been locked out the game because of his ping. He had gotten hold of my id and copied it to go on other servers to get myself banned. Now my question is,

is there anything to stop these sad losers?

That small useless loser community in OFP that cheat and copy Ids etc are just really idiotic. Please BIS stop this in OFP 2. Thanks. Any help appriciated unclesam.gif

Hmm yea, it would be cool if 1.94, would be realeased officialy. I mean its only Beta now. We have a 1.94 server, empty most the time though. When it des get released i will be very happy biggrin_o.gif

LOL ineo! croatia just tell all ur buddies to use 1.94, it is stable and good

1.94 servers usually are empty, primarly to the fact that many people either can't be bothered to upgrade, or that they think the beta version might cause problems.

I like how 1.94 has 2 exe's. Makes it easier to play with others with different versions.

BTW, A personal note...just out of curiosity...do you guys ban users for having high pings? I can't seem to connect to your server, my ID is banned. I havn't played on that server before...could you possibly unban me? 155635.

Erm, no we dont ban of high pings, but we do kick. Sometimes we allow 230ish. Well whats your OFP Name, we might be able to find out why that ID was banned and whoes name was using it. Against our records wink_o.gif

Our server is on 1.94 since it came out for linux and we did not notice a decline in player numbers. BTW: Scorpio, i saw you trying to connect our server in the last days but dropping because of missing addons. Get OFP Watch to get the addons you need on our server.

Update: i just checked your id and you are banned on our server. Not because of your ping, but because you use a warez id (or did you use all 14 nicks in just a few days?):

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Player Ash S connected (id=155635)

Player CODY F connected (id=155635)

Player CS connected (id=155635)

Player Captain Future connected (id=155635)

Player Cody F connected (id=155635)

Player DukeN connected (id=155635)

Player JUANFRA connected (id=155635)

Player Nepalon connected (id=155635)

Player Onkey-Prinz1 connected (id=155635)

Player SatansChild666x connected (id=155635)

Player TC_Maverick connected (id=155635)

Player Tom connected (id=155635)

Player papertiger connected (id=155635)

Player theman connected (id=155635)Get an original and you can play again on our server...

lol, not always...

dunno how, but my original id 217844, is owned by 2 other ofp players... one in germany, one in USA!!!!

i live in switzerland, where i bought it...

one of this 2 guys made my id banned on so many servers... sad_o.gif

I do have an original. I told you I havn't played on your server before. So I don't know what's the problem here...

Either way, doesn't really matter.

The "funny" part is that i never happened to meet a player using my id. But if you have an original you know now that there are other players using your id too. And from my logfiles you tried to connect to our server at least once:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">23:35:12 Player [RHS] Scorpio connecting

23:35:15 Player [RHS] Scorpio disconnected

At least if you use the nickname "[RHS] Scorpio"...

raedor: I wrote my logfile parser more than a year ago and those logfile entries are from that time, ie more than a year old. I doubt that you could change ids back then. So it is definitively a warez id, which does not have to mean that scorpio uses warez, but that at least others use his key too.

Firewall on server, ban certain IPs?

At least that might work! tounge_o.gif

BIS and Codemasters should Sue them or something mad_o.gif

Isn't there a way to ban a players IP ?

If you know the ip of that specific player... on linux servers you could just block it with iptables (iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -s ip.of.player -j DROP), but how do you know which of the open connections belongs to that player? And most players are on dynamic ips anyway, so they will just get a new ip and get back in...

Even if they are using a dynamic ip you can do an ip trace of their route to the server and ban the ip of the nearest hop to them, although itll also ban a good 150-200 people in the same area its unlikely that any of those peeps also play flashpoint.

I am not sure if this will work. Big isps might have a pool of connection servers too, so you might not always have the same ip. Although i just checked my logs and i always use the same one, so it might work. Well, if you know you don't ban any other players too...

To find the IP address of a cheater: With iptables you can log new udp connections (have to look it up, don't have the info handy right now). You could then match the time of the offender's arrival on the server against the logging of new connections from iptables to find the IP address.

You could also ban the entire subnet the offender is on (since usually dynamic IP addresses are derived from a limited pool of addresses, most likely within the same subnet - not guaranteed though). You will have the same problem as with banning traffic from his nearest hop, ie. banning innocent people from your server...

edit: logging of new connections is along the lines of <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --match state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "New UDP: "

@ Dec. 31 2003,13:48)]will this work on windows server too crazy_o.gif

Sorry, no. This will only work for linux servers (using iptables for packet filtering)

You'd have to look into the firewall specifically used for your windows server, to find a way to log new incoming connections.

I know about state logging, but if you players coming and going all the time and you decide in the midst of a game to ban someone and try to remember when exactly that guy joined...

I know about state logging, but if you players coming and going all the time and you decide in the midst of a game to ban someone and try to remember when exactly that guy joined...

You could use the log of your OFP server for this wink_o.gif

i got a solution for logging ips, its not that gr8 but it works ;)

download ethereal from http://www.ethereal.com

works on windows and linux, its a packet logger, sniffer and u can log the packets on connection with the nickname in it

start it from commandline as root or admin:

for ofp 1.91:

tethereal -f "udp port 2302" -R "data[(0:4)] ==7e:00:01:08"  -s "90" -x -l -t "ad">>ip.log

and for 1.94:

tethereal -f "udp port 2302" -R "data[(0:4)] ==ce:00:01:08"  -s "90" -x -l -t "ad">>ip.log

EDIT: change the port if needed ;)

its working gr8 but u will get a big logfile after some days ;)

Well, HitmanFFs solution works great on linux, i am using logging of new connections myself for some time (although not for ofp connections). I don't know if windows can use this at all as they do not have an ofp server log afaik to compare login data with connection data.