Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

Stock up your air to air defense

Oops...OK then, maybe what I was trying to say was that the NVAAF were hardly aces.

NVAAF Aces  wink_o.gif

You might also be surprized that they had the highest scoring aces of the war.

Nguyen Van Coc had 9 kills, 7 confirmed by US records

By contrast, the highest scoring American ace, Charles D Bellevue, had 6 kills (He was a RIO)

It is problem with maneuvrability. I mean with full scale conflict, dogfights wouldn't be so important. Modern medium and long range missiles can take 30-40 g, while planes can about 9 for very short time, so it is really hard to avoid hit.

And while peacekeeping or peaceenforcing missins u rather have to visually identify target, and it means that probability of dogfight is higher, and it is highly possible pilot would use gun to warn, and than eventually fire rocket.

And u can have maneuvrability in 2 ways - of whole plane, or missile only. It will be very interesting to track tendencies in modern combat aircrafts.

BTW - i still rememeber those articles in which there were written that maneuvres like Cobra or Bell can break tracking plane by radar or IR warhead of missile smile_o.gif

Schumacher raced a Eurofighter on a 900m long strip, the Eurofighter won with 0.02 sec or was it 0.2.

Schumacher raced a Eurofighter on a 900m long strip, the Eurofighter won with 0.02 sec or was it 0.2.

It was 1,200 metres

with "check points" at 600m, 900m and 1200m. The Eurofighter won at points 900 and 1200. Schumacher beat the Eurofighter at 600 but only a fraction of a second.

Oops...OK then, maybe what I was trying to say was that the NVAAF were hardly aces.

NVAAF Aces  wink_o.gif

You might also be surprized that they had the highest scoring aces of the war.

Nguyen Van Coc had 9 kills, 7 confirmed by US records

By contrast, the highest scoring American ace, Charles D Bellevue, had 6 kills (He was a RIO)

But there is one thing you don't know tounge_o.gif  In vietnam in a big secret an NVAAF MIGs  were flying Russian aces that shoot too "some" of americans planes.

But there is one thing you don't know tounge_o.gif  In vietnam in a big secret an NVAAF MIGs  were flying Russian aces that shoot too "some" of americans planes.

That was Korea, not Vietnam. I'd love to see any reliable source say otherwise smile_o.gif

That was Korea, not Vietnam. I'd love to see any reliable source say otherwise smile_o.gif

In Korea too but in Vietnam also. Well I read that in a military book you know not everything is on inter wink_o.gif you can buy it on this site MIG-21 in vietnam book

Sorry to backtrack a wee bit, but this must be better than squirrels and beans lol!

Is it just me, or does anyone else agree that this the best looking modern fighter plane?

su-27-01l2.jpg

I'm in love. Someone make this plane in OFP pronto. And if it already exists as an addon, feel free to batter me with a wet fish round the head. After giving me the d/l URL of course.

L8r biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]is problem with maneuvrability. I mean with full scale conflict, dogfights wouldn't be so important. Modern medium and long range missiles can take 30-40 g, while planes can about 9 for very short time, so it is really hard to avoid hit.

Only the pilots of the Typhoon can take 9g and due to their improved compression suit they can take it for more than just a moment, so no hardcore maneuver is limited by the pilots endurance anymore. In fact the breathing exercise in order not to faint is no longer required. It is the only plane so far with this capabilities. For the rest of the F15 pilots it is still: breath it....hold air...breath out! tounge_o.gif

In fact the breathing exercise in order not to faint is no longer required. It is the only plane so far with this capabilities. For the rest of the F15 pilots it is still: breath it....hold air...breath out! tounge_o.gif

Breathing techniques will always be taught, no matter what aircraft and high tech gizmos are invented. You'd be in a world of poo if you didn't know how to breathe properly in the right situations tounge_o.gif

In fact the breathing exercise in order not to faint is no longer required. It is the only plane so far with this capabilities. For the rest of the F15 pilots it is still: breath it....hold air...breath out! tounge_o.gif

Breathing techniques will always be taught, no matter what aircraft and high tech gizmos are invented. You'd be in a world of poo if you didn't know how to breathe properly in the right situations  tounge_o.gif

You know some are born with the natural skill of breathing! rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]You know some are born with the natural skill of breathing!

But i doubt under 6g or more tounge_o.gif

Which SUKHOI model is this referring to:

Quote[/b] ]Report: India Rejects Russian Jets

Sun Dec 14, 9:27 AM ET

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India has refused to accept a new batch of Russian Sukhoi combat jets because of a high rate of engine failure in earlier batches bought as part of one of the country's largest arms deals, a newspaper said on Sunday.

Which SUKHOI model is this referring to:
Quote[/b] ]Report: India Rejects Russian Jets

Sun Dec 14, 9:27 AM ET

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India has refused to accept a new batch of Russian Sukhoi combat jets because of a high rate of engine failure in earlier batches bought as part of one of the country's largest arms deals, a newspaper said on Sunday.

Su-30mk's. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the article though, I've heard about this, but what they found was microscopic cracks in the engine blades, not actual "failures" unless I've totally missed something.... rock.gif , and Russia had agreed to correct the problem.

Best to find that out on the ground, than at 25,000 feet! I can imagine that would instill doubt in future acquisition plans. The problem could have been from poor labor, or poor material, but either one is far from encouraging. (Not exactly the type of thing where if it has an "oopsy", you can just shrug and try again. smile_o.gif T

If I was trying to defend Everon from the Chinese, the North Koreans, the Russians, the Japanese businessmen, and defend Everon from the U.S., then I would focus on buying primarily 2 squadrons of F/A-35 JSF's.

For their cost and the way they were designed, it would be the best to buy the JSF because it will be the cheapest and easiest to maintain since all variants of the F/A-35 are designed to have 60% interchangability or higher.  Not to mention they will be true stealth aircraft and specialize in mult-role aircraft combat ops.  In case your next enemy has plenty of cruise missiles, buy the VTOL (Vertical Takeoff and Landing) version of the F/A-35 so if your Airbase gets taken out, no problem.  You'll just launch them from some difficult to spot location on the island and move your fighter support and maintance equipment so they can't target it easily.

The F/A-35 is deisgned to utilize the latest in NATO military aircraft weapons and provide a sea denial capability through use of Harpoon missiles and HARM anti-radiation missiles.  If you're on an island, you gotta recognize the naval threat.

It wouldn't hurt to also invest into some very good underground bunker systems for storing those aircraft in.

Buying a fighter which has not seen one second of combat?

Buying a fighter which has not seen one second of combat?

I may be wrong, but I don't even recall of the machine going through munitions dispensing tests. (IE, launching missiles e.t.c.)

Therefore, I ask the question, how is the F-35 supposed to take weapons into combat, internally, or externally, or both?

If its munitions are carried internally, then there would be a very limited payload. If its munitions are carried externally, then the much raved about stealth properties of the aircraft are compromised.

I don't know what it is, but the F-35 doesn't really strike me as an aircraft capable of fufiling the promise of being the next bread and butter fighter, whilist replacing so many varients of fighters and attack aircraft, as each of those aircraft had specialized roles and the charachteristics required to fufil those roles.

I'd never expect the JSF to have the surviveability or payload of an A-10, let alone have the ability or room to carry the massive GAU-8 cannon, or be able to loiter above the battlefield for hours without refuelling like the A-10 can, so the JSF consortium claiming that the F-35 can suitably replace the A-10 is pure BS, and to be honest, I think people in the industry know this, and I think some in the USAF know this, but don't want to compromise the biggest military contract of all time. mad_o.gifsad_o.gif

To put it short, the F-35A could be a worthy replacement for the F-16. But this depends on if it can carry a larger payload than the F-16 at greater speeds and distances. But it cannot fufil the A-10's role fully.

The F-35 B is a worthy replacement for the harrier. But with liftfans taking up so much room in the fuselage, where is the fuel supposed to go? And if fuel goes into the positions where the internally stored munitions should go, then weapons (or even addtional fuel) would have to be stored externally, effictivelly nulling stealth characteristics.

The F-35C will probably replace the FA-18 well. Its short range and mediocre payload have always been its shortfalls but lets not forget that both the current generation navy fighters have two engines, and thus, greater surviveability than the F-35 could muster in combat.

Hence I'm still semi-skeptical of the JSF program. tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

To put it short, the F-35A could be a worthy replacement for the F-16. But this depends on if it can carry a larger payload than the F-16 at greater speeds and distances. But it cannot fufil the A-10's role fully.

In today's conflicts, payload capacity is not really a priority. Look at the SDB...Lots of small, PGMs, which are ( relatively ) cheap to purchase, and are easily capable of taking out the most common targets ( radar sites, command facilities, airbase facilities, 'terrorist camps', etc...)

What's price per unit of the X31, including service contracts for the next 50 years to actually turn it into a fighter. (The Maldens, being poor, can't forsee renewing them in the near future) and some fairly cheap but effective jammers?

Can they be retrofitted with Merlin missiles and appropriate guidance radars cheaply?

If they can't, just fit a bloody gun and a couple of stingers to the X-31, which we of the Maldens will from now on use the X36, now called the Wardog, and we will proceed to conq- er, defend the planet.

Ego, ME!!!?

Watch the discovery channel for what an X31 is capable of...