Sign in to follow this  
CHFlanker

Kolgujev

On a vacation last year i was on Teneriffe. And now i recognised that the outline looks identical to Kolgujev.

of course it's a bit bigger and there are not so much military bases (i found one).

Are the other islands existing in Real life too?

Just to make you aware of it, Kolgujev is north of Russia. It is a little island, and not too unlike the one in the game. Nobody have found the other islands in real life though.

I find that quite small. Besides, I think it is more likely that BIS took the name than the island. And if they did, it was probably resized and reshaped.

Kolgujev (Kolgujew, Kolgoujev or Colgujev) is on 69° 30' N 50° 00' E

Tenerife (Teneriffa or Ténériffe) is on 28° N 18° W

(Edited by CHFlanker at 3:18 pm on Dec. 2, 2001)

Oh my god!!! Its right!! Kolgujev is Teneriffe.

I was there on vacation this summer and i havent thought about it until now...ofcourse...Kolgujev is Teneriffe...it a perfect match.

And it was ALOT of Russians on Teneriffe....or was it Brittish people...I could never tell them apart... smile.gif

Ok, so Teneriffe is the terrain for Kolgujev. Ostrov Kolgujev gave name to the modified Teneriffe. Then we have an island called Malden, which might have given name to the modified terrain of Ostrov Kolgujev.....

Just a little brainstorming. smile.gif

Kolgujev is indeed mapped from Tenerife... Here's a pic where the real Kolgujev island is located at:

kolgujev.png

Im living right there at Finland... smile.gif

Everon is mapped from Krk island:

map.jpg

Check http://www.multilink.hr/krk/tzok/english/ for more info wink.gif

Im not sure of Malden though... Malden island does exist but it doesnt look much like the one in OFP.

Hey ... I spent a night on Krk a few months ago ... never new it'd be a model for Morton.

(Love that Croat spelling .... I was driving to Trieste the next day ... only of course it was spelt Trst on the road signs. Where were they when the vowels got handed out.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Stealt Eagle on 2:07 am on Dec. 3, 2001

Everon hasn't been mapped after Krk. Island, it looks a bit like Everon but it ain't.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes it is wink.gif

True. At first it doesn't look like it, but when you look closer you see it. Just compare details.

Krk = Morton

Island South of both Krk and Morton

Area around Punat is very much like in the game. (East of Morton)

And you should easily recognize St. Pierre.

Airport in the North of the island, with similar surroundings.

No doubt for me at least. Good spotted Kegetys. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from PolariZ on 6:40 pm on Dec. 3, 2001

<span id='postcolor'>

Actually I asked about it from my BIS source wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Kegetys on 10:23 pm on Dec. 3, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from PolariZ on 6:40 pm on Dec. 3, 2001

<span id='postcolor'>

So then, what are the other 2 OFP islands based on?

Actually I asked about it from my BIS source wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Sandman on 4:26 pm on Dec. 2, 2001

Oh my god!!! Its right!! Kolgujev is Teneriffe.

I was there on vacation this summer and i havent thought about it until now...ofcourse...Kolgujev is Teneriffe...it a perfect match.

And it was ALOT of Russians on Teneriffe....or was it Brittish people...I could never tell them apart... smile.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes i saw Russians too, russian seamen to be exactly

everon-kirk.jpg

They moved the island SW of the island to the NE. Now then, what island is Malden based on? These two are both in the Mediterranian sea, so perhaps Malden isn't too far away. Did your source say anything about that Kegetys?

And does anyone have any pictures of the valley on Kirk, down by St. Pierre? Fun to see the real place. Might have to go there one day smile.gif

Konyak

I was only there for a few hours, but the landscape is typical Adriatic. Dry, lots and lots of rocks, etc. Looks NOTHING like the OFP version.

The real Krk is also, of course, a lot bigger. I have a road atlas of Croatia map, but it's in the car at the mo.

(I have maps that stretch from Scotland to the Urals in my car ... well you never know! I drive past road signs to Vienna (Becs in Hungarian, for some reason), Zagreb and Ljubljana every morning.

The desert island is the same island as the one south of Malden. I dunno of which island Malden is mapped from, my "source" couldnt remember wink.gif