Sign in to follow this  
dinger

Hunting the big ctd

I've just had a four-hour session with Sebnampack2, missions Trojan Horse by SEB and Airstrike by Devilsguard, with no freezes.

Before this I've tried every fix, bios, driver and jumper setting without getting rid of the freezes - this is looking pretty good!

Now using:

1.94b with -nomap command line

Sebnampack2 in Mod folder

Sound - Hardware acceleration on, EAX off

WinME

Asus A7M266, bios 1008b / XP2100+ / 512mb 266mhz RAM

GF4 Ti4600 / SB Audigy2

Ah, the sheer joy of a Sebnampack firefight wow_o.gifghostface.gifsmile_o.gif Thanks BIS - this is wonderful!

How about you Ruff? Has 1.94b improved your freezes?

Cheers - cornhelium

I've just had a four-hour session with Sebnampack2, missions Trojan Horse by SEB and Airstrike by Devilsguard, with no freezes.

Before this I've tried every fix, bios, driver and jumper setting without getting rid of the freezes - this is looking pretty good!

Now using:

WinME

GF4 Ti4600 / SB Audigy2

Ah, the sheer joy of a Sebnampack firefight wow_o.gifghostface.gifsmile_o.gif Thanks BIS - this is wonderful!

Cheers - cornhelium

well one cause of SEB Nam pack freezes was fixed with version 1.92. Are you sure that it still crashed afterwards? Because I had found another bug that caused OFP to freeze as you say. Not crash to desktop as most recent problems are.

If you're interested here is the topic I had started back then.

@all

And then I would like to say that my CTD is still there with version 1.94. So if people still have CTD's I would like them to figure out if it only happens with ground vehicles moving in groupes on islands with a lot of forrests. (best area to test is Nogova north-west of Petrovice) If yes please PM me.

EDIT: HW T&L must be activated in order to get that CTD I have

Quote[/b] ]my CTD is still there with version 1.94

The reply is still the same: the most efficient help for crashing is still here and there.

Hi Donnervogel,

I've gone straight from 1.91 to 1.94, so possibly 1.92 would have fixed it. ;)

Cheers - Cornhelium

Edit: Ps. Nice detective work with the AI handgun freeze - thanks!

Suma smile_o.gif I do that for almost a year now with my problem. BIS suppot has got my e-mail about this. It would just help if soemone would actually take it serious when I say it's not the same problem as other people have. So far I only got "tips" of which I knew that they don't help. Because I was put into the corner of the other people reporting the recent CTD's. But well my CTD is almost a year old not a recent problem and it has nothing to do with addon overload.

But well my CTD is almost a year old not a recent problem and it has nothing to do with addon overload.

I have seen the analysis of your crash files from 1.92 - and based on those files, your problems seems to be exactly the one that should be addressed by 1.94 beta patch (virtual memory address range exhaustion).

With the 1.94 you should not see the problem at all, of it you see it, you should see an error message like "CreateIndexBuffer failed <xxxxx> - out of memory?"

If you see this message, adding -nomap to the command line should help. If not, please sent the crash files from the recent crash again.

Ok this is the first time I was told to use the -nomap paranmeter. Thanks very much for giving me real advice.

Now I can say yes I do not crash anymore. There is a big "but" tough: The crash is now replaced by a freeze for approximately a secound. But the game goes on then but with always new, slightly shorter freezes but in shorter intervalls. With other words: unplayable.

Let's say it this way. The reason why I crashed was maybe the same as the other people have. But the syptoms are totally different (that's what pointed out all the time) and therefore there must be a different origin. I mean I can play perfectly with fyling vehicles with absolutely no problems at all. As I understood other people didn't have crashes limited to ground vehicles only. And there are also other differences.

It might just be a contruction error of my graphics card or somehting though. I don't know but that's what I'm, trying to find out.

But in the end thanks for taking care of my problem. I just somehow did feel as if nobody cared about what I say. I'm sorry when I sounded angry but my nerves are stressed very much lately. (mostly because of other reason than OFP - but OFP adds to it)

Quote[/b] ]Ok this is the first time I was told to use the -nomap paranmeter. Thanks very much for giving me real advice.

This parameter was introduced in 1.92 and 1.94 is the first version in which it works reliably - that is why you could not be told this earlier.

Quote[/b] ]slightly shorter freezes but in shorter intervalls.

How much memory (RAM) have you got installed in the system (just verifying, as I do not see this information anywhere in your posts)?

In your original topic you wrote

Quote[/b] ]I just wanted to say that the problem has gone away with the newest chipset drivers (Nforce2) from Nvidia.

Based on your recent posts I suppose the problem was not fixed, in spite of what you wrote there.

I am convinced your problem is probably due to some HW fault or some driver incompatibility. Did you try disabling the sound card, or lowering its acceleration level? There are many areas in which HW incompatibility can happen and it is almost impossible to give you any real advice without inspecting your system.

I know. I didn't want to reawake the topic since it's so old. I wrote it all in my e-mails.

I have 512 MB DDR ram:

ctdmemory.jpg

I did test many graphics drivers with no success. Also some different sound drivers (since the onboard soundcard is very new there are only few drivers available)

I'll do test with accelleration settings as soon as I find out where to edit it.

The thing that bugs me though is that OFP is the only game causing any problems and it's not OFP in general but only with ground vehicles.

*EDIT: and not to forget it seems to be triggered when loading forrests in OFP*

If there was a HW error I would expect it to happen pretty randomly with any unit and also with other games. could be wrong though

Now using:

WinME

GF4 Ti4600 / SB Audigy2

Cheers - cornhelium

well at first 1.94 b worked fine

then all of a sudden freeze galore

my freeze is a crash

wat i mean is the screen freezes and nothing works except the restart button

dunno wat i did

i tried everything just 2 days ago every version froze

from 1.91 to 1.94

agp 1 2 4 tried all that

reinstalling done that a couple of time

autodetec coluntless times

mod folders galore

-nomap command

i thought it couldve been due to the mods but i tried normal bis sp games but it crashed as well, seems to happen from loading and saving not sure though coz it takes around 5 to 10min to crash

ive sent context bin etc but dunno if it records my freezes

Now using:

WinME

GF4 Ti4600 / SB Audigy2

Cheers - cornhelium

my freeze is a crash

dunno wat i did

from 1.91 to 1.94

agp 1 2 4 tried all that

mod folders galore

-nomap command

i thought  it couldve been due to the mods but i tried normal bis sp games but it crashed as well, seems to happen from loading and saving not sure though coz it takes around 5 to 10min to crash

you could test if it's the handgun problem by trying this mission:freeze testmission

If it's the handgunfreeze it would crash when the soldier beds down to pick up ammo. YOu don't have to do anything. just watch.

my freeze is a crash

dunno wat i did

from 1.91 to 1.94

agp 1 2 4 tried all that

mod folders galore

-nomap command

i thought it couldve been due to the mods but i tried normal bis sp games but it crashed as well, seems to happen from loading and saving not sure though coz it takes around 5 to 10min to crash

This is not something you should consider as absolute, but a freeze where only the restart button works looks like a hardware problem.

There should be a way to at least switch ScrollLock on and off if the game is just abusing the CPU/memory. That us unless somehow OFP messes with the operating system itself...