Sign in to follow this  
hneel

Aternative strategies

Unfortunately I must agree with CrunchyFrog. The AI in OFP are border line retarded, and they should only be used to clear minefields by being marched through.

Oh and the mission that I cheated on the most, was the second to last mission in the Cold War Crisis campaign. It's the one where you have to destroy the Scud launcher before the commies start WWIII. Remember those Cobra attack helos that are there for backup on the southern coast of Kulgujev? Order your men to hide in the woods. Get 3 other soldiers, load up in a jeep and race south. Steal one of the Cobras, and order the other 2 guys into the 2nd Cobra. Next head north, and engage the Shilkas and Scud with TOWs. You can complete a seemingly impossible mission in a matter of minutes. tounge_o.gif

I simply snuck up the hill and nailed the Scud with a Carl Gustav. Much more realistic than the "Grand Theft Aero" method that you used.

I simply snuck up the hill and nailed the Scud with a Carl Gustav. Much more realistic than the "Grand Theft Aero" method that you used.

JESUS! You completed the mission in a unrealistic way! OMG... You suck, doing it harder and in more realistic is so much better. Doing it in a unrealistic way is bad, and not as fun as in a "realistic" way.

Umm... was that sarcasm or were you being serious?... It's hard to tell with some people on this board...

Take this for instance - "The moderators are doing a good job." tounge_o.gif

Now is that sarcasm, or am I being serious?

biggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

41?!? I didn't know that there were that many available soldiers in the campaign tounge_o.gif . Just try playing Resistance like a real resistance officer would act:  Avoid casualties at all costs!

I tried to play it through like a real Resistance commander in that:

1. I make my best effort not to get men killed.

2. Never restart a mission unless I die or the objective is failed. If people die, they die. I like playing it through realistically - it makes keeping men alive all the better when they DO stay alive by actually survivng instead of me playing the mission over again and restarting it if somebody dies.

I lost around 38 guys over the course of the campaign on my first time through. If I walked into an ambush and lost 4 guys, well those 4 guys were gone. Play as you like, but that is the way of "realism". The real resistance commander doesn't have 20/20 hindsight.

20/20 hindsight? Wassat? rock.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

20/20 hindsight is also called Monday Morning Quarterbacking. After Sunday's US football game all the guys get together at work and talk about what the coach should have done. The thing is, you only know what he should have done because you're looking back on it - at the time, what he did might have seemed a good idea.

This applies to OpFor in that people are saying a "real" Resistance Commander would try to take zero casualties at all costs. But the way these people get zero casaulties is that they play the mission and reload a saved game every time one of their guys dies. So after playing the same scenario half a dozen times, you know exactly when, where, and how many Russian reinforcements are coming and where ambushes are etc. This way you can basically just constantly play it till you get it perfect, which I think is NOT realistic.

I tried to play it as (in my opinion) a real Resistance commander would. Do the mission - if guys die, then that sucks, but we might as well go one with the mission. I'm not going to restart the game if a guy gets plugged by a sniper 30 seconds into it. Its just shit that happens. Anyone can get through the campaign with zero casaulties if they know exactly what they're facing.

One of my favourites is the CWC crisis mission where you are a black op and need to go and destroy the enemy armor in some base (can't remember where). You sneak around the side and just jump in one of the empty russian tanks, blow everything up (even the mi-24 which comes and nicely hovers for you), run over a few guys, jump out blow that tank up with your explosives and your done. Much easier than getting into a firefight.

Just found another one in the single-mission game "Commander". After you've succesfully defended the town, you can go by boat to the island. There are 2 choppers waiting there with which you can attack the enemy town.

Beware though. There's a shilka (easy) and some machine gunners (harder) firing back at you.

A good one that is quite priceless on the second red hammer campaign mission, when you suddenly have to take command of the squad when your CO heads back to base...

Simply go back with him and 'borrow' the BMP that's nicely parked up for you.

While playing Wake Up Call I ditched the satchel charges and picked up the RPG-75 launcher off the first bunch of goons. Wasting the patrolling BMP brought two of the Shilkas sniffing around, using up all three RPG-75s. The remaining Shilka was taken care of by stealing one of the T72s from the nearby base (where one of the Shilkas used to be) and tooling on over to its location, shooting down the pesky Hind on the way.

Of course, I spent way too much time avoiding casualties (Like a real resistance commander biggrin_o.gif ). I think I did something like 20 retries to beat "Hunting" while sustaining no casualties and shooting down the Mi-17.

Was that default Veteran, or with everything maxed?

Derek

(...I beat the entire Resistance campaign with no casualties, and I was playing on Veteran level)

Suuuuuuure... wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

I can support m21man: I've just completed the campaign on Veteran with max difficulty settings and 0 casualties.

Derek

I've played an CWC campaign mission with a mate, he'd managed to escape (before the Hind brings you to that camp). Do it like this: don't get in the Hind. You won't get shot: you just have to walk to the camp, with an officer and two guards. After a long walk, you see a BMP. If you're more then 100m away from the officer you're free.

I used a lot of alternative strategies to complete Red Dawn. First, I took the LAW soldier with me and left the rest of the squad at the base. We jumped in the machine gun armed jeep and tore over to the Ruskie base. The gunner took out the guard, and we both got into the Hind. I tried to take out Guba's SCUD first, but promptly got myself shot down by a shilka (damn those things!!!). My mate and I ejected. I got an approx location of the SCUD, so I set out towards the general direction. We ran into some trouble at a small enemy base overlooking the place where Guba's boat is. I just ran, while my mate engaged the enemy. He shot one, but got killed in the end. I caught a bullet, but kept on going. There's not too much enemy presense in the top of the island, so after rooting around for awhile I found the SCUD, dropped a Satchel and ran. That blew up the SCUD. I took out the two man patrol nearby and ran back to Guba's boat. I then stole that ( biggrin_o.gif ) and motored around to the little village on the other side of the island where Guba stops his car for awhile. I had no idea where he was. I got there and found that Guba had dropped off Col. Estev with the Spetz Naz and had gone on alone. I took them out, and then drove back to the place where I stole the boat. I then took out the two remaining guys in the base (the ones that had killed my mate *revenge is sweet*). And guess who was waiting for me right there? The great General himself! I just captured him and told him to get into the boat. Easy.

on the mission... emm what's the name of the mission in resistans campaign there you must destroy some choppers at the airbase? rock.gif well I just left my squad with the truck and went over the rocks, ran by the beach took the Mi-17 and blew all the chopper. then I flew back to the truck and ejected there.

Quote[/b] ]on the mission... emm what's the name of the mission in resistans campaign there you must destroy some choppers at the airbase? well I just left my squad with the truck and went over the rocks, ran by the beach took the Mi-17 and blew all the chopper. then I flew back to the truck and ejected there.

Yea, the same. That mission was so hard until I did it by myself. I sent the rest of the squad to the escape point, then planted satchel charges behind two of the shilkas, destroying them. Forgot about the third, which almost shot me down.

on the mission... emm what's the name of the mission in resistans campaign there you must destroy some choppers at the airbase?  rock.gif  well I just left my squad with the truck and went over the rocks, ran by the beach took the Mi-17 and blew all the chopper. then I flew back to the truck and ejected there.

didn't you take the V-80? tounge_o.gif

I only lost around 8 men in the whole resistance campaign. i lost them in the mission, in which you had to stop the big attack by the soviets, with those many tanks. I wasn't able to stop the tanks without loosing nearly all the tanks a got at that time rock.gif

But the mission "red dawn" was really tough, too. the first time playing the campaign, i managed it to play the mission with the M113!!! It was really really hard, but I think i was the fastest M113 driver ever, because there where many tanks shooting at me. then the second time i just took the hind in the base ;)

I think I lost around 10-15 guys in resi campaign. And yes, I play "realisticly", and if I lost half my squad, well, shit happens.

My only serious big casulty I had in the campaign was in the mission where you have to stop that convoy on north Nogova that goes through the little dirt road and with Tasmainian Devil dying at the end. I don't know if it was a bug (more likley) or they spotted me but the convoy started to mess around as OFP AI do sometimes when they drive. They ran just past my satchels and everything so I had to take 'em out with my (t)rusty RPG and AI AT soldiers. Since that took a while longer than I planned and I picked an ambush spot far away from the recommended it ended up with me getting my squad slaughtered by the reinforcements. 3+me guys survived. sad_o.gif

A favorite "noob" tactic is of course on those maps in resi campaign which is on the airfield. First one you bring a few AA guys (to take down any Hinds in air) and 1 that carry some RPG for you and you attack along the ridge on the west side. 2nd time (last mission) you do the same thing just without buddies. If Mr. Troska took the same way out as he took in I the poor little country Nogova didn't have to make that memorial statue. wink_o.gif