Sign in to follow this  
Dauragon

Some questions about military equipment

i always wondered how NVG's worked, how do they allow us to see green thru night, how does it work?

and about rifles, how come if the scope is a bit above the barrel it still shoots precisely ?

smile_o.gif

NVG @ howstuffworks.com

I am too busy to explain how a scoped rifle works, I need to go to the inauguration party of our department's new students. I'll try to post instructions how to calibrate a scope tomorrow ...

First question:

How Stuff works - Night Vision - edit: damn cam0flage you beat me! tounge_o.gif

Your second question:

Since I'm too lazy to search the web I'll try (and probably fail  wink_o.gif ) to explain it in my own words.

Actually the bullet doesn't hit where you are aiming at, or more correctly, usually it does at two distances. (Leaving wind drift out of the equation for now)

Imagine the path of the bullet as an ballistic curve! Like when you throw a ball, it rises at first (Usually a bullet rises only a few cm). At one point, lets say after it traveled a few meters, it will cross your line of sight. If it hits your target at this distance it will be right where you aimed.

When the bullet continues to travel it may rise a little bit more and then gravity eventually starts to drag it down. It will cross your line of sight a second time. Again if you hit your target at that distance it will be where you aimed at.

What you do is you adjust your scope so it will hit targets at the distance you intend to shoot at your targets, you "zero" it at that distance.

You also have markings in the scope so you can take the bullet drop at different distances into the equation.

Now if all that makes sense to you consider yourself smart.  tounge_o.gif

If not someone with more english-skill may step in and help us out.  biggrin_o.gif

For example, the flight path of the 5.56 (british) is such that the SA80 is zeroed at 100m - and 300m. The round is still rising at 100m, and starts falling again before 300m so that it hits at the same height. (roughly)