Sign in to follow this  
KeyCat

Group link ii ver. 1.54 released

Thanks for letting me know gunterlund!

Anyone else tested it (in MP)?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

sounds like a cool updrage to the Gl script smile_o.gif

got to try this next weekend when i maybe gonna play lan biggrin_o.gif

then i will probably have started another coop mission but it will hopefully not go down to 2-4 fps when the script kicks in tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

then i will probably have started another coop mission but it will hopefully not go down to 2-4 fps when the script kicks in  

Commando84, I'm quite curious on how many AI groups you run GL II on when you experience your slowdown (maybe you can send me the mission or maybe post the GL II init line)? Also what kind of server/host you are running it on?

When we use the script on ~8-12 AI groups (+ some AI groups without the script) in our missions we don't have any notable slowdowns at all and we use a quite slow server with low RAM. I've been quite carefull so that the script doesn't use "to much" resources (i.e slow loops etc.)...

Anyone else experience these slowdowns? If, please let me know how many AI groups you are running it on and also total number of AI units used in the mission.

As said before, to many AI units (escpecially veichles/choppers) can bring down a server even without any scripts running!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Still using GroupLinkII and STILL totaly impressed with the Dynamics of the mission. Never the same way twice. Have 4 objectives and still having trouble getting past the 1st one.

The previously mentioned investigation in to 2 or more groups being the target of the AI intrest will be helpfull in creating a more dynamic battlefield. Please dont stop working on this.

The use of your script has caused more than one would be Rambo to (THINK) before acting. We have tried using 2 seperate units, one to create a diversion and draw off defenders while the other waits an opportune time to smash the true objective. Obviously this does not work because the ai still responds to the single unit/group as called in the .sqs file. Also tounge_o.gif placing the AI courage at 50% creates some hellasious fire fights when it has called in 4 other supporting units including the (Bastards) hitting us with Arty first and a tank Platoon following up while the (shits) paradrop on top of us. Hell no we didnt survive. Thats why I had to put Respawning in the mission. So we could play past the first 5 min. LOL

BTW DKM_Tunguska is a NASTY B when included as one of the support units. The Sound of that Bitch comming at you is unerving to the most seasoned player. (I have 3 of them in the mission 1 static with gunner only).

As I requested please get the AI aware and reacting to at least 2 groups.

Thanks for a fablous Script. smile_o.gif

I am sory if this has been mentioned before but there is a problem if you shoot a BMP:

deadsmoke1.jpg

you seen here a dead BMP that sudeenly deploys smoke which is actualy very bad as it looks stupid and can lag on slower machines like mine if I am very close also I think that soldiers should deploy the smoke not just come out of the sky and that it was only one soldier that could calle in reinforcement like the officer, this would alos add some realisem as you can chose to take out the officer and there by weaken the ennemy even more than normal OFP.

Also how do I turen the anoying updating sound off and stop the showing of ennemy positions? And is it imposible to make the script react to the sound level which you define in the weapons cpp so you would not have to add it som place in the script?

STGN

Thanks for a fablous Script. smile_o.gif

Glad you like it!  smile_o.gif

@ STGN:

Quote[/b] ]

you seen here a dead BMP that sudeenly deploys smoke which is actualy very bad as it looks stupid and can lag on slower machines like mine if I am very close also I think that soldiers should deploy the smoke not just come out of the sky

Seen this to once in a while and may be that OFP don't poll dead object fast enough, will look into it eventually.

Quote[/b] ]

and that it was only one soldier that could calle in reinforcement like the officer, this would alos add some realisem as you can chose to take out the officer and there by weaken the ennemy even more than normal OFP.

This is already on the "future list" but I don't want to add to much stuff at once since each thing added takes away some resources (both CPU & bandwidth) and it's better to take one step at the time to see where the "limits" is and of course available time is also a factor sad_o.gif

If I implement it it will only be the foot soldier that carries the radio that are able to call for support (this doesn't affect vehicles/tanks/choppers) and if he dies another one from the group will try to grab the radio. However there are some other things with higher priorities (like the suppressive fire stuff) so no promises!

Quote[/b] ]

Also how do I turen the anoying updating sound off and stop the showing of ennemy positions?

From the README.TXT  wink_o.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

How to test this script.

------------------------

In the ZIP-file you will find two example missions (both as PBO-files and as editable mission files). They are intended to help you evaluate this script and includes "cheats" like moving map objects that are showing enemy AI groups movements, textbox in upper left corner indicating which groups that are currently active and a teleport function that lets you move anywhere with just a click on the map.

All of this should of course be removed in your final mission, they are only there to help you evaluate it and for me when debugging the script!

After they are removed you can safely delete the following files:

MARKER.SQS

TELEPORT.SQS

Quote[/b] ]

And is it imposible to make the script react to the sound level which you define in the weapons cpp so you would not have to add it som place in the script?

Don't think there is an easy way to solve this so you will most likely have to live with defining any 3rd party weapons you want to use with GL II.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

The previously mentioned investigation in to 2 or more groups being the target of the AI intrest will be helpfull in creating a more dynamic battlefield. Please dont stop working on this.

Please rock.gif

you seen here a dead BMP that sudeenly deploys smoke which is actualy very bad as it looks stupid and can lag on slower machines like mine if I am very close also I think that soldiers should deploy the smoke not just come out of the sky

A burning armour unit may cook off munitions so the smoke from a grenade is not unusual at all even 5 min. after the unit was hit.

Lag is the bane of quality addons with enhanced scripts the only solution I have found is to get a faster Comp.,more memory and Cable connection. Of course when that is done we make larger missions with tons of eye candy and tweaking scripts with EECP, dxdll etc, etc. and start complaining about lag again.

SO

We buy a faster Comp.,more memory and Cable with broader bandwidth connection. Of course when that is done we make larger missions with tons of eye candy and tweaking scripts with EECP, dxdll etc, etc. and start complaining about lag again.

SO

crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

I just started looking into this and it looks great so far, but i have a few questions:

Can you run this script multiple times from the init.sqs? Or will this be a problem due to globalvariables or something?

This is for a mission where players go from one island to another and i don't want actions on one island to effect state of affairs on the second island. Could i just run the script twice in the init.sqs, first with the groups from the first island and then again with the units from the second island?

Or can i end it by use of a publicvariable and a trigger and then start it again with the new values when they are going to the second island?

I mean, i think i could do both but i think those kind of changes to the script, but this might be interesting to other mission makers, so an "official" change would be better.

The previously mentioned investigation in to 2 or more groups being the target of the AI intrest will be helpfull in creating a more dynamic battlefield.  Please dont stop working on this.

Please rock.gif

I still want/plan to to implement this but this may require a major/total rewrite so no promises.

Probably you already know this but I mention it anyway...

If you are 12 players (or less) you can still split your team in to 2 smaller groups (or whatever) while playing you just have to start out as a common group.

@ benu:

Quote[/b] ]

Can you run this script multiple times from the init.sqs? Or will this be a problem due to globalvariables or something?

Just as you mention there will be issues if you run the script more than once, and yea it's the global variables that are the culprit.

Quote[/b] ]

Or can i end it by use of a publicvariable and a trigger and then start it again with the new values when they are going to the second island?

This would probably be the easiest way to solve your specific situation. Have a publicvariable that change and then in the GL II script trap that and exit the first instance of the script then re-initialize it again with new parameters.

Don't know how much request there is for such thing, you are the first to mention it...

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

I didn't look into the scripts for more than changing weapons definitions right now, but this change should be one line per script at max, maybe even one line to the grouplink script only to check for variable and exit. Well, maybe make it two more lines in the grouplink script and set and make public the variable first, so users that do not want to use it do not have to set it in the init.sqs or somewhere and the status of that variable is defined in any way.

Regarding the "many instances of the script": maybe you could use the call command (i think it does this kind of stuff, could be wrong though) and either an extra parameter (number of instance) or some publicvariables for this. So all public variables get a number appended (using call) for the instance of the script that is running them. Instances are defined by either passing the instance number in the initial call (in the init.sqs) or by making running instances publicvariable and automatically increasing the instance number if a new instance is started.

Using the first idea you would have to create all public variables with an instance number in them and users would have to call the script with one more parameter, breaking backwards compatibility and making it (user-)error prone.

The second is totally compatible, but would be more work to script. You should also set a timer in there to be sure the public variables propagated through the net before the next instance (that relies on those variables) is started. This seems the way to go imho.

alright i like to make big missions or else i feel that i made something that wasn't good enough but i will list how many groups my mission has keycat.

WEST

2 groups with playables containing original bis soldiers and pilots.

the group that are soldiers are 12 and they are the target group and there is group respawn to.

there is 7 a.i vulcans protecting the small airbase island that is located north of nogova. I have put them there because the russians have ability to call in su-25's and thats a big threat if you happen to drive a uh-60 or something and say like "shit we gonna die now!" but instead you fly back closer to your base where you started and the vulcans can take out the su-25's or hinds.

then there is 1 of each original bis chopper at the west airbase + 2 of each A-10. and also there is 2 extra ah-1 and ah-64 incase you need them. I wanted mission to have some freedom and that you can select how easy hard or how fast slow you want to try completing the mission.

Mission can last 30 minutes or 2-4 hours depending on your skills with aircraft and ground fighting abilites.

there are also 2 ammo trucks 2 fuel trucks 2 repair trucks and one m113 ambulance and 2 mark 2 bpr patrol boats that can be used for insertion to the main land if nobody knows how to fly blackhawks or something like that  tounge_o.gif

okay Empty objects are 3WX objects and buildings pack by agent smith and several others, got to lvoe these.

15 crate piles

3-5 containers

1 aircraft hangar

1 hardened aircraft shelter

mapfact barracks 3 that i have added myself then the island got a base with more of those that was already built in.

mapfact 2 radar towers

4 oil wells

2 oil refinarys

1 mapfact warehouse medium

5 m2 machineguns

1 empty east boat

12 empty civilian vehicles spread out across the islands cities and towns.

2-3 adminstration buildings from the 3wx pack

20'ish mapfact mines.

EAST

okay here is the east groups list

2 flying su-25's one of them is listed in group link script and put on hold down in the south eastern corner above the sea and the other patrols above the main island.

2 hinds that where a part of group link script template that are ready for take off with spetznas groups inside.

2-3 mechanized infatery groups that are part of gl script.

2-4 ural truck groups and 1 brdm group that also are part of script. 2-3 east boats on patrol not scripted.

3 pilots awaiting take off with their su-25's if west is detected at the east airbase in the desert.

then 2 sniper and officer teams placed random part of script.

10 shilkas placed out around the island.

then there are mixed resistance and east groups and they are 23 + 3 or more single guards.

3 t72 1 t80 tanks also in 2 groups.

here is the line from init.sqs

; Init Group Link II script

[[ge1,ge2,ge3,ge4,ge5,ge6,ge7,ge8,ge9,ge10,ge11,ge12,ge13,ge15],[ge1,ge9,ge10,ge11,ge12],[

ge1,ge7,ge9,ge10,ge11,ge12],gw1,0,0.00] exec "ai\grouplink2.sqs"

The server is a amd xp 2.0 gigahertz processor with 512 mb ram memory and geforce 4 ti4600.

but i also have norton antivirus running at the same time usually tounge_o.gif

but this change should be one line per script at max, maybe even one line to the grouplink script only to check for variable and exit.

@ benu:

True, implementing a boolean variable like "KEY_KillGroupLink2" that forces all running GLII scripts to exit will most likely be quite easy. I already check if the groups are killed. Will see what I can come up with in next release...

Thanks for your suggestion and I will read up on the call command.

@ Commando

Quote[/b] ]

here is the line from init.sqs

; Init Group Link II script

[[ge1,ge2,ge3,ge4,ge5,ge6,ge7,ge8,ge9,ge10,ge11,ge12,ge13,ge15],[ge1,ge9,ge10,ge11,ge12],[

ge1,ge7,ge9,ge10,ge11,ge12],gw1,0,0.00] exec "ai\grouplink2.sqs"

The server is a amd xp 2.0 gigahertz processor with 512 mb ram memory and geforce 4 ti4600.

Thanks for your feedback and yes the mission is big but not that big.. Your server is better than the one we use to play on. It may be that you are a bit low on RAM (as we are) so adding another 512 MB stick wouldn't hurt. Hard to tell why you experience lag and just want to verify a few things...

1. You do have a GameLogic named "Server" placed somewhere on the map?

2. Do you run any other scripts or just GL II?

3. Whats your internet speed?

4. Assume you run OFP in Socket mode, or am I wrong?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

yeah i run in the default socket mode and my internet connection is 0.5 mb up hill and dow hill  tounge_o.gif

a couple of my buddies got 2.0 and 8.0 and even 1.0 in speed wich makes me think my internet speed really sucks but i'll stick with it anyways because my dad pays for it so  wink_o.gif

The mission lags not only in internet games it does that in lan games and a bit in the editor to at the start especially.

Other scripts i used was a A-10 map click script and the respawn script and music script so that you can hear some custom music at special points or just turn it on in the radio if you want. A dead body eraser script that was supposed to make the mission lagg less wich i don't know if it does really but maybe it makes mission a bit more playable after you killed some amount of enemy soldiers. and a ammo crate script. Instead of doing the whle initline commands in to every ammocrate i got a cool little script that fills the ammo crate or vehicle with weapons and ammo. i wanted to put in more scripts like awacs and having the old G8 mod Ec-2 hawk-eye flying around high above the island but i think that it would only get shot down by either shilkas or the russian su-25's.

i wanted to add mig-29's instead of the su-25's but i realized that the su-25's where hard enough and that people would have hated to go up against migs with a-10's  biggrin_o.gif

sorry for going offtopic at end but i just woke up and my brain is really not in the best of shape  tounge_o.gif

yeah i have also a game logic named Server wink_o.gif

Sorry but I'm running out of ideas...

I suggest you run the mission (as a test) without applying the GL II script on any of the groups and see if it still lags.

Are you hosting and playing on the same machine or is it a dedicated server?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Got some great news! I played my mission today and i let another guy be the server and he played and had the server so it wasn't a dedicated server and i never have dedicated server either because i don't know if my parents comp. could handle to be a dedicated server and be used by my little sisters for downloading, surfing and stuff like that.. tounge_o.gif

First time i played the mission Lag free, i had turned down my settings from 1024 to 800x instead and of course i didn't run the server biggrin_o.gif but the guy who did complained about it was laggy. Hey Keycat if you want i can make a conversion for regular nogova and you could try it? smile_o.gif

I played my mission today and i let another guy be the server and he played and had the server so it wasn't a dedicated server and i never have dedicated server either...

I was under the impression that you had a dedicated server up and running but since thats not the case I'm quite positive that this explains your problems with lag.

Your computer with 512 MB RAM is just not enough to host & play such a big mission, your OS and Nogova itself takes the major part of that available RAM.

I can almost bet that if you play your mission again and pay attention to the HD LED you will see it blink most of the time as the computer read/write to the swapfile on your HD (you can also Alt-TAB to the desktop then use TaskManager to see how much RAM currently is in use, assuming XP or Win2k).

To get less lag I believe your options is limited to the following...

1. Upgrade your CPU and most important your RAM (preferable 1+GB).

2. Set up a separate dedicated server (make it at least a 1.5+ GHz with min. 512+ MB RAM).

3. You have to scale back on your mission and start removing things (maybe use a less demanding island?) until you have better hardware.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

thx for your advice KeyCat, well upgrading my comp. won't happen until next spring if not something miracelous hapens with my incomes tounge_o.gif my parents comp does got the power except for half the ram required to be a dediated server (256)

well the mission has been submited to the official contest misison making contest but i warned them that it could turn lagyy on them biggrin_o.gif Well im through with the mission since a while back but i wanted to check if there where any ways to improve it without removing to much out of it. But i kind of understand why a buddy of mine never laggs on the mission...he got 3 gigs with ram memory wink_o.gif totally impossible to get lagg then smile_o.gif

Hey Key

A lag solution; Remove WayPoints for all but a few critical units for eye candy. The Mission HellsKitchen We are testing/Writing was expierencing some lagg when I added Verboken (sp) Satellite scripts and SNYP Support Scripts while already having respawn scripts and Foward Base Setup scripts. Therefore, Due to the Dynamic Responses your GroupLink II engenders in the AI, I removed all Waypoints except for 3 enemy AI Units and all 34 Enemy AI Units are in the GL2 init.. Playing with a Mate that has a 263 ping and my Non-Dedicated Server the LAG vanished. The Game has actualy Improved both in Combat Ambience and Difficulty. Greately increasing the Players (Human) Frustration in being Killed often... LOL

I do not use triggers activated by West ... No Need with GL2 .. Instead I use hidden or camo prone Kord Gunners as outposts..Espically if they are out of ammo...(evil Smirk).. Real Quick to call for help...And the DKM Tunguska with its capability hepls the Script know where we are... Thanks Again for a superb script.

Sorry, to much work and to little play time at the moment but someday I hope...

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)