Sign in to follow this  
Desloc

To BIS... Radeon users would like...

TRUFORM support for player models... maybe trees and bushes too?

Many games are already supporting Truform via a patch and ATI says it's fairly easy to add Truform to a title.

(Edited by Desloc at 12:41 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)

OFP does not need truform. It looks perfect anway.

And if ATI SAY it is easy it doesnt mean it IS.

It might for example conflict with the LOD type technology in OFP, I dont know.

I dont have a Radeon, so I dont care.

-EDIT-

Trees and bushes? They are mostly just flat polys with transparent texture on, truform wouldnt help much there

(Edited by Dawdler at 12:50 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)

OFP player models would look incredible Truformed... period.

But you don't have a ATI card, so why should you care, right? If you owned a Radeon, or if you'd seen screens of Truform in action you may be singing a different tune.

(Edited by Desloc at 1:00 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Many games are already supporting Truform via a patch and ATI says it's fairly easy to add Truform to a title.

<span id='postcolor'>

I will check how difficuult it is to enable it. If it is VERY EASY, we might consider adding it.

Note: As far as I know, Truform is only supported by new Radeon 8500, not by normal Radeon cards.

I thought the answer to the question " Radeon users would like......

and the answer is....

A GF3 like they shoulda got in the first place!...(good luck with radeon drivers,the crappiest driver support known to mankind)

Radeon D3D drivers seem to work fine; it's the OpenGL drivers that crash many games I've tried to run on them (e.g. the Return to Wolfenstein demo crashes immediately on starting a game).

well whoopeef**kin'doo

My computer crashed a lot of times since i bought a new motherboard so i could enjoy my thunderbird 1,4 gH processor. I had 384 MB memory. I couldn't play any game in D3D or it would crash in a minute. I had to play all my games in openGL. Then i read in a forum that the new motherboard didn't support old memory. I had to ditch a 64 MB PC100, and a 64 MB PC133. I understand why i had to get rid of the PC100, but also a PC133??. But now it works and i have 256 MB. I am happy and no more crashes. I have GForce 2 GTS and will buy soon GForce 3. Radeon suckiesuckie it does as a friend of mine has it and i wipe my ass with his videocard. GF3 is much better and OFP should only support GF3 functions and make the game look really crappy for Radeon users. Like something as this

if user = Radeon user

then resolution = 160 * 100

color = CGA, monochrome

eat = sjit

print "Radeon user, u must die"

@echo off

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Gorgi Knootewoot on 5:57 pm on Dec. 5, 2001

well whoopeef**kin'doo

My computer crashed a lot of times since i bought a new motherboard so i could enjoy my thunderbird 1,4 gH processor. I had 384 MB memory. I couldn't play any game in D3D or it would crash in a minute. I had to play all my games in openGL. Then i read in a forum that the new motherboard didn't support old memory. I had to ditch a 64 MB PC100, and a 64 MB PC133. I understand why i had to get rid of the PC100, but also a PC133??. But now it works and i have 256 MB. I am happy and no more crashes. I have GForce 2 GTS and will buy soon GForce 3. Radeon suckiesuckie it does as a friend of mine has it and i wipe my ass with his videocard. GF3 is much better and OFP should only support GF3 functions and make the game look really crappy for Radeon users. Like something as this

if user = Radeon user

then resolution = 160 * 100

color = CGA, monochrome

eat = sjit

print "Radeon user, u must die"

@echo off

<span id='postcolor'>

Why don't you say what you REALLY feel? smile.gif

I don't think anyone denies that the GF3 is a better card than the original Radeons, as it should be given it's about twice the price! However, the Radeon-8500 is comparable to a GF3 and the original Radeons with up-to-date drivers are nowhere near as bad as many people make out... except in OpenGL, where even a game as simple as Tuxracer crashes their driver (OpenGL Half-Life, on the other hand, seems to run fine).

I've had ATI Radeons for nearly two years, it was was when the 1st SDR version came out that ppl had problems

I've sold hundreds of the newer ones, not one of my users had any problems, I've sold about 2 Geforces

ATI Crap drivers are a thing of the past, and now a days GeF and ATI are neck in neck with Driver problems, this Board here even shows that there are just as many problems with both cards

there is not 1 GeF2 that can beat a Radeon 32meg DDR (same genteration) if you think it can try again, there is not one Gef2 that can run full res and detail at 1600x1200x32 bit color and not have frame lag, this Radeon has none! I have one

the Radeon 8500 is faster then the GeF3 (same Generation)

Speed = ATI

Cost = ATI

Driver Suport = GeF/ATI

winner ATI

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 2:44 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)

The speed hit is minimum as there are different amounts of Truform that can be applied... like a LOD slider.  All Radeon cards can support Truform in software via drivers. The 8500 does it in hardware.

It's funny how so many Nvidia users get their knickers in a knot over ATI's tech.  

(Edited by Desloc at 11:12 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Desloc on 11:07 pm on Dec. 5, 2001

It's funny how so many Nvidia users get their knickers in a knot over ATI's tech.  

<span id='postcolor'>

If I'd spent nearly twice the price for a slower card I'd be pissed too! biggrin.gif

After seeing the difference TruForm gives I'd love to see it applied to OFP characters smile.gif

The 8500 is a great card. I didn't buy it because of the awful driver support in the past. You can sell me a super-fast card for cheap, but if the driver sucks, the card might as well be a paperweight.

Nvidia has a wonderful reputation for drivers. Not only do they fix problems as they come up, their driver releases get BETTER with every version. If ATI changes their attitude about the drivers, I would switch.

It does seem like they are pulling wool over customer's eyes with their "anti-aliasing" (smoothvision) though. Check this out and decide for yourself:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1562

obi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 1:42 pm on Dec. 5, 2001

I've had ATI Radeons for nearly two years, it was was when the 1st SDR version came out that ppl had problems

I've sold hundreds of the newer ones, not one of my users had any problems, I've sold about 2 Geforces

ATI Crap drivers are a thing of the past, and now a days GeF and ATI are neck in neck with Driver problems, this Board here even shows that there are just as many problems with both cards

there is not 1 GeF2 that can beat a Radeon 32meg DDR (same genteration) if you think it can try again, there is not one Gef2 that can run full res and detail at 1600x1200x32 bit color and not have frame lag, this Radeon has none! I have one

the Radeon 8500 is faster then the GeF3 (same Generation)

Speed = ATI

Cost = ATI

Driver Suport = GeF/ATI

winner ATI

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 2:44 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)

<span id='postcolor'>

I beg to differ, my Elsa GF2 Ultra will rip a new asshol for a 32meg Radeon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from WisdoM on 1:20 am on Dec. 6, 2001

I beg to differ, my Elsa GF2 Ultra will rip a new asshol for a 32meg Radeon.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think that's fair though. You'd need to compare to a Radeon 64MB DDR card. If you do that, then the Radeon actually betters the gf2 ultra in most tests. The best you can say is that they are neck and neck.

If you overclock the gf2 ultra, then no doubt it will beat it.

Guys, it doesn't really matter what video card you have, it is going to be a second-string player in a few months anyway. No exceptions.

So don't bother getting into a mine-is-bigger-than-yours contest, someone else is going to come along soon and put you in your place.

ATi in short SUCK, if you enable their so called highly advanced SMOOTHVISION to 4X you are forced to play at a crappy resolution of 1280X something( i forgot) and if you dun follow it, the game crash so bad that you have to reboot. Go to www.sharkyextreme.com to read their review. So what Truform? In a fast actioned game I am not going to sit there and look at the NEW ROUNDED graphics and BTW, alot of game got messed up by truform. Image having bloated TANKS, wohahaha!

The Geforce 3 Ti 200 is the BEST CARD now, it is cheap and OC it you get a free Ti500 performance. All Ti200 card can easily OC to 240Mhz core with the stock cooling. Stay away from ATi, their driver still suck.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Mister Frag on 1:45 am on Dec. 6, 2001

Guys, it doesn't really matter what video card you have, it is going to be a second-string player in a few months anyway. No exceptions.

So don't bother getting into a mine-is-bigger-than-yours contest, someone else is going to come along soon and put you in your place.

<span id='postcolor'>

Hey Mr. Frag - you sould like a much older person... smile.gif

Seriously, though, most people DONT change their video cards every year, so you'd want to get one that will be sustainable. For example, I pity the folks who shelled out good money for the Voodoo5s. They would definitely have been better off going with nvidia at that time. It's the same situation with ATI. They are good cards, but will the company support it? Maybe, maybe not. That's what this discussion is about.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Wissdom

I beg to differ, my Elsa GF2 Ultra will rip a new asshol for a 32meg Radeon.

<span id='postcolor'>

whats the highest Res you can run OFP with out Frame lag?

this Card can handle 1600x1200 32 bit full OFP res at 48 FPS

I know for a fact that no GeF2 can even run that smile.gif

Gef3 can but none of the Gef2

at 1024x768x32 I'm at 100 FPS

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 8:31 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from OBiJuan on 12:57 am on Dec. 6, 2001

Nvidia has a wonderful reputation for drivers.  Not only do they fix problems as they come up, their driver releases get BETTER with every version.<span id='postcolor'>

That must be why the TNT card I used to have got more buggy with every new driver I installed 8-(.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from OBiJuan on 8:53 am on Dec. 6, 2001

<Snip>

Seriously, though, most people DONT change their video cards every year, so you'd want to get one that will be sustainable.  For example, I pity the folks who shelled out good money for the Voodoo5s.  They would definitely have been better off going with nvidia at that time.  It's the same situation with ATI.  They are good cards, but will the company support it?  Maybe, maybe not.  That's what this discussion is about.

<span id='postcolor'>

I agree, I would not get a video card that has no future. Anyone who has an AGP slot in their system and gets a GeForce2 MX-series card isn't getting the whole picture, for example.

But at the same time, getting your panties in a bunch arguing over new features in the newest Brand X video card that aren't even supported yet by 99% of the games out there seems pretty pointless...

I don't care which cards are faster, which drivers are better or whatever you guys are talking about. Seems everyone wants to argue for no good reason.

Ill just cast my vote for a truform patch for OFP. That would be great. It would jsut be one example of BIS showing that it is commited to adding new features and enhancements for the community, and make me continue to recommend my friends to buy the game (so we can play together!)

If there isn't truform in upcoming games like CMR3 and OFP2 though, I would be sad.