Sign in to follow this  
lonesoldier

D a v i d i a n

Ok RED, cheers.

Haha, Bosun, yeah that line is intended to be sarcastic really. tounge_o.gif

But yeah, ill take it out of the intro. I agree it takes away from the tense atmosphere.

As for the intro being good, thanks mate. The intro was made by the awesome-as-fuck camera scripter - O'Neil Ryan. biggrin_o.gif

Does anyone think that a co-op version of the mission would be good?

coop is a great idea and maybe JAM  rock.gif

Dang it!

I was playing MoHAA on my computer when I realize that the one song was really scary. Alot scarier than the ones I gave suggestions for.

*hits head on wall*

An absolutely excellent mission Lone... I played the original as well... They almost make OFP feel like a whole different engine! The cluttered, dirty environment was exceptionally well done, I must say.

Great work!

Cheers Homer mate. Thanks for the killer fog script too dude.  biggrin_o.gif

Edit: - About Co-op:

I'm not sure how i could use the fog scipt in co-op. Because if there are say... 4 players then im not sure how it will work.

The fog script tells a game logic to follow the player and create fog randomly around him within a 80-40m radius (i think).

That means player1 will only have fog around HIM. Unless ofcourse the other players stick with him.

But then it will look dodgy.

So that means i would have to make a game logic for each player, so they have their own fog script each. But then if they wander off to another player, there will be double the amount of fog. And having 4 players, thats 4 times the amount of fog, which = fuckloads of lag!

So not sure what i'd do... Homer, do you have any suggestiosn on how i could make for work really well for all 4 players, even if they split up, so they all still see fog?

Lone; I was in the exact same situation with mine, but it actually takes care of itself.

explanation: As far as I know, the OFP engine will never, ever, ever do two things at the same time. If you ask it to move marker X in two scripts at the same time, It will move marker X, then it will move marker X again. Thus, the fog scripts are all moving around the same foglogic, but two will never try to do it at the same time so... no errors there! smile_o.gif

It (my script) is also completely local to the player; fog script revolves around variable 'player' , not a specific mission object... I think you could even just throw a random unit somewhere on the map, and set him as player, and the fog would revolve around you still.

client CPU takes care of everything; how you see it in SP, is how it will look in MP.

Cheers! smile_o.gif

Ohhh.. Thanks man!

Also, there is one slight disappointment - The health bar cannot be carried over into MP.

Why?

Because it uses Resource Overlays for it. When a resource overlay is displayed, everyone will see it. It doesnt display it for just the ONE player. Everyone will see it.

So therefore, if a certain player takes damage, the health bar will display a certain resource overlay corresponding to the amount of damage one of the players takes. Everyone will see it. So people will be thinking "What the fuck?!? Who's shooting me?!?", when really they arent being shot, another player is.

Anyway, ive got a question:

HomerJohnston - Would you be interested in making a version of Davidian, but with zombies?!?

I think it'd be pretty damn cool. Just locate several puzzles around the house etc... And have a few zombies in strategic spots.

It could be cool  biggrin_o.gif

You could have letters and notes around the house. Each letter/note could be displayed via a resource overlay. So that you get a cool looking letter/note.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Lone, the resource overlay problem can actually be fixed as well smile_o.gif you just have to make sure that the triggers and such are completely local to the player... I cant start on how you would do it in Davidian because I haven't looked at it yet, but I'd be damned if you couldn't, because look at CTI! resource displays all over the place smile_o.gif

Anyway.. very!... interesting proposition.. certainly... tell you what, right now I'm making a 2nd mission (it will hopefully be the start of a mini-campaign), but I'll try to replicate the 'mood' Davidian gives in my 3rd mission (credits will go to you of course). I think it would work quite nice indeed... the only problem is if the AI can't maneuver very well crazy_o.gif

on a sidenote, the last of my new computer parts is supposed to arrive today... so I may not get much done (upping from a P3 550, TNT2, to an athlon 2500+, 9600 Pro ;) lol)

Ahh ok.

Well the way i had the resources display was via getdammage triggers.

Once the player sustaines a certain amount of damage, the health bar will change to the respective overlay.

About the mini series - that could be very good biggrin_o.gif

Your new PC sounds veeery nice.

smile_o.gif

I've got an athlon 1800+, geforce4 mx440

As long as you use yourvariable = getdammage player    to determine what to display, how it is displayed should be completely isolated to the client's machine. Each client's machine will treat that trigger as its own thing(and the server would too, but if noone's playing on it noone sees ghostface.gif )

smile_o.gif

thx about the comp... the HD is formatting right now wink_o.gif 80%... isn't there anything faster!

Could you maybe give me an example of how to set that up then man? Because that was kindda confusing tounge_o.gif

Ok. I've already started work on the co-op version of Davidian.

So far ive got a pretty useful idea:

Took 9 radio sounds from Rainbow Six and have got them in the radio menu.

They will be useful for co-op, so you dont have to type your status, you just use a command from the radio menu. Here is what they are:

1. Contact - Used when a player engages an enemy.

2. Fire In The Hole - Usefull for letting your mates know that you're about to throw a grenade.

3. Need Some Help - Self Explanatory.

4. No Tangoes In sight - Means that there are no enemies in your current field of view.

5. Taking Fire - Used for letting your team know that you are under fire.

6. Watch Your Fire - Lets another team member know that they're shooting you.

7. Need Back-Up - When you need extra men at your position.

8. Get Down - Tells you team members to get down.

9. MURPHY - Use this only when in an emergency.

Anyway. I reckon they'd be usefull, so you dont have to press the talk key and type "quick guys need help" etc... You could get shot whislt typing.

Blah blah... More updates later on sometime.

Busy with Raven Shield at the moment.

Do you still need help Lone? I've been rather busy the past few days between work and setting up/fine tuning this comp (ran through some nasty stability issues yesterday), however this mission is too good to not support wow_o.gif

If you want me to explain something in depth further, feel free to post the topic or PM me and I will do my best ASAP.

Hmm, ok thank's man..

I'm not sure how to set up the resource overlays so each player has his own health bar... biggrin_o.gif

ok I found the line of triggers with  getdammage aP > #:cutrsc...

just change "aP" to "player" on this kind of thing and the scripting will adapt itself to the player machine, instead of a specific mission editor unit. yes, it should be that simple wink_o.gif if you ever want someone to test it with you... PM me

BTW I think I found a bug in my fog... when you're playing, do you notice sometimes the fog looks like its not... facing.. you?

well in any case, next release change (hojo.sqs):

drop ["cl_basic", "", "SpaceObject", 40, random 5+5, [0,0,2], [1,1,0], 0, 1.275, 1, 0, [5],[[1,1,1,0],[1,1,1,.5],[1,1,1,0]],[0],0,0,"","hojo.sqs",foglogic]

to

drop ["cl_basic", "", "Billboard", 40, random 5+5, [0,0,2], [1,1,0], 0, 1.275, 1, 0, [5],[[1,1,1,0],[1,1,1,.5],[1,1,1,0]],[0],0,0,"","hojo.sqs",foglogic]

It displays them like a 3D object (like a flat board) on my new radeon... on my old TNT2 they always pointed at the player, so I didn't catch/have this prob sad_o.gif   this will make it look a LOT better to people encountering the same prob as me.

Alright! No problemo.

Thanks a fuckin' heap man! biggrin_o.gif

Only things that really need changing for co-op is:

1. Add player to the getdammage triggers instead of aP.

2. Fix up the fog.

3. Add 3 more playable units.

4. Change the dialog box to suit 4 players. All I have to do in the dialog box is add extra loadout buttons, one for each player. wink_o.gif

Well I'll start working on it very soon.

Oh, also, the co-op file should be a smaller filesize, because the Intro music isnt needed biggrin_o.gif

Alright!

I think it's about time I release the single player of DAVIDIAN.

I'll just fix up a couple little things and it'll be set to go.

I'm still trying to think of what I could add for that one left over button. I think I'll just make it a "suicide" button. tounge_o.gif

Anyway I'll get cracking.

The one left over button = a "abort mission hostage killed" button....send in planes to bomb target....go in and clean up. tounge_o.gif

Hahahahaha. tounge_o.gif

Well, I'll put it off for a few a while. Got important shit to do.

Wow, beautiful mission. smile_o.gif

Easily some of the most creative layouts I've seen and the atmosphere is stunning.

You need to find another host for the file, 2 hours for a file that small was a serious pain.

About the mission:

1. I know they would spoil the mission, but I couldnt help feeling that only an idiot or truly psychologically disturbed Spec-Ops is going to go into a situation like that with no Night-Visions ... biggrin_o.gif

2. The menu and option for weapon layout is very cool, but why do the weapons spawn with no ammo selected? Have you added weapons before ammo?

3. I picked up a load of clues from the graveyard and house, cleared the objectives and the went to the 2nd house where I shot the hostages' captor, and the mission ended. What were the clues about? What was left to do?

4. In the garden of the first house, with the hut thing and ladder, when I went into the lower part of the hut, I could see the arm of a baddy sticking through the wall ( from where the tents and fire are ) so I shot him in the arm and he fell to the floor where I had to shoot him through the table to kill him.

5. Maybe add a patrol at the back of the 2nd house? I was able to sneak round the forest and up the back of the house without encountering any enemy.

6. It looked like the mission tried to run an Outro, but I only saw a brief flash of "Cannot load mission: Missing Addon BAS_Weap.pbo" etc. which I know I do have. ( I had the same problem with an intro, which was solved in this thread : Here )

Great work though. smile_o.gif

Thank's for the reply Poet man.

1. Ok, I'll chuck NVG's in the loadouts tounge_o.gif

2. If I add weapons BEFORE ammo then when you choose what kit you want, you have to reload. Whereas if I put ammo before weapons you just gotta press the change weapon key. I'm not sure if there is a way to fix this.

3.When I first made the mission a year or so ago they were objectives. But a few people told me that they really aren't needed in the mission as objectives. So I took them off the objectives list. They're just in there now for the hell of it. BUT, you just gave me an idea. What if I have an objective "Find all evidence/clues"? That could be pretty cool... Tell me what you think, and maybe throw a few idea's my way.

4. Yeah, that guy usually sits at the campfire where the tents are, and if you alert him he will stand up. Although I wasn't aware that part of his body was through the hut tounge_o.gif

5. Ok, I'll fix that one up ASAP. I'll chuck a patrol there. I left the back unguarded so snipers could sit up the abck of it and line up the perfect shot for the hostage's captor. It was good that way for co-op, because it gave the sniper something to do. But I guess one patrol there won't hurt. smile_o.gif

6. Ok, thank's man, I'll fix that up ASAP.

As for the file host... Hmmmm. I might have to ask someone on msn to host it on their website.

Thank's dude.

Anyway - MAKE SURE you give me some idea's for some evidence/clues that you have to find!

smile_o.gif

About the NVG's, it would make it too easy to give them to all units, how about just with the Covert-Ops and remove his binocs to balance it out?

As for the objectives, thats easy, you could have a locate the missing persons objective ( could be neighbours, the press, or even better local under-cover police officers who no-ones heard from for weeks - which is why you get sent in... ) or you could keep to the Davidian theme and put in an objective to locate and destroy or identify any weapon/ammo caches ( that would force the player to explore as well ) and discover what happened to the ATF agents that went before you ...

One other thing - the first time I played the mission, there was a part near the beginning where everything suddenly seemed to flash red and some more spooky music started up, pretty scary and cool, but it never happened to me again when I replayed the mission. Not sure what happened there.

Thanks for a great mission, wish I could help with the hosting.

"Tango Down!" indeed! smile_o.gif

1. Hey yeah, that could be good.

2. Yeah, I was thinking on having a bomb to defuse there, but then you'd think "why would they blow up a shitty old house?". Yeah I might have a missing persons thing. Also maybe find some document's on evidence or something...

3. I dunno what happened there then man. hahaha.

4. No problemo. smile_o.gif