Sign in to follow this  
BoonieRat

Big bad bright map...

Whenever I do a SpecOp/nighttime mission and use the map I'm totaly blinded afterwards. Has anyone ever made(or could it be done) a mod/script/whatever it takes to make the map red and non glowing (they use filtered red light to read maps at night, no?) when accessed in nighttime missions?, or make it the same green as the NVG's and not so bright? Have a smallcircle in the centre that's visible then faded to shadow around the edges, to represent a penlight instaed of the noonday sun in death valley wink_o.gif ...

I always draw the blackout curtains and turn every light off (apart from the 5watt red one I use to see the keyboard 'unit commands tounge_o.gif ) when I game on my rig. I know Ultra radiant map's only a small thing in the scheme of things but it gets me every time!!...

do you mean that your eyes actually adjust to the brightness and when you go back to the darkness you have to wait for your eyes to re-adjust? heh

as far as I know, that would be possible for the mission creator (place huuuge transparent 'markers' over the map), but as for your problem... hmm, well, IRL if I'm somewhere dark and want to keep my night vision, I close one eye before I turn on the light or whatever... the closed eye usually sees pretty good in the dark still when I open it again lol ghostface.gif

I'd be amazed if this post was remotely useful, but hey, I tried tounge_o.gif

Yes what i do in all my private missions is I place 2 transparent black markers on the map. You can even enable/disable them with daytime. You can make an action like Enable/Disable Map Light where you shut off the markers to make hte map really bright.

You wouldn't perhaps think about making them a bit more public now would you bn880? smile_o.gif

Oh no there is no reason because of all the addons I used them with. The missions are not upto any standard people would appreciate and would take me time to prep for public eyes, they're just for me and some friends to coop in. smile_o.gif

EDIT: For example one of the better missions basically goes like this::

You start with your partner in northern nogova airfield. You pick the mission time.

You pack a crate near a chopper with all the ammo you wish,

get in the chopper where some techno is played through the radio tounge_o.gif ,

you click on the map for the insertion zone,

the chopper gives ETA and flyies there, you get paradropped in and so does the crate of ammo (containing the laser designator). the crate is not visible on the chute as it falls but appear on ground after chute hits ground.

you're on your own, but you can call in for UH60 extraction at any position

enemy has very simple artillery, road patrols, air support

artillery positions are marked on map as secondary objectives

nuclear scud is marked as primary

somehow you have to make it to the nuclear scud area and paint the scud with the laser designator and call for A10's to drop the bombs.

problem is if you get spotted the artillery opens up on you and the enemy converges an attack, the scud is heavily defended etc etc etc

most of the time what happens is you steal some vehicle either empty or from the enemy and find an ammo depot or head for the insertion crate, arm it and drive around taking out enemies on the way to your targets

lol, so it takes hours to complete, and you are almost guaranteed death

Oh....I meant the Enable/Disable Maplight Function tounge_o.gif

But you know...if you ever felt like releasing that sort of mission, I'm sure there are some people that would get a kick out of it. I like missions that go for at least 30mins myself, LAN co-ops with 3-5 people. smile_o.gif

Oops, ok. The map stuff is not necessary to post, I think it's a fairly simple matter but why not:

Place 2 markers in the middle of the map, type rectangle, black, fill solid named "mark1" and "mark2"

in init.sqs do

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">mapLightOn=false;

player addaction ["Map Light","maplight.sqs"];

create a file maplight.sqs and put this inside: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">?mapLightOn:"mark1" setMarkerSize [15000,15000]; "mark2" setMarkerSize [15000,15000];mapLightOn=false;exit;

"mark1" setMarkerSize [0,0];"mark2" setMarkerSize [0,0];mapLightOn=true;

Optionally (and better) you can map the script above to a radio command or to seperate radio commands without using any mapLightOn flag. smile_o.gif

Sounds like you are as photophobic/photosensitive as I am...bet your desktop is a nice, plain black too...sometimes I even consider wearing sunglasses while on my PC tounge_o.gif

I hope some of the suggestions above are adopted by missionmakers...

Thx Bn880. I have exactly the same trouble, that's why I asked. My room has just enough light to see my keyboard by, a glowing monitor, and nothing else when I'm playing OFP, so that will come in handy smile_o.gif

Phew!, I thought I was the only one smile_o.gif ...

I know nothing about the editor, or how to use it(furthest I ever got was modding was the .45 1911's in SoF2 to fire at a realistic RPM. I know it does'nt count). The two most replayable games (bf1942 & OFP) now have map and levell editors and I'm having to miss out sad_o.gif . Wading through usermade missions to find a usable one is a nightmare (I appreciate them, but some are unplayable). I've only recently srated replaying & completed OFP & Res after buying OFP the day it hit the shelves!(the graphics are STILL good to go, some kids are spoilt nowadays eh?. I thought Kingpin looked the bollix biggrin_o.gif [WoW pain~skins!!]), I lost a lot to a major crash and never caught up, had to go over too much familiar ground to catch up and am too stubborn to use someone elses file ...

Is there a best idiot guide or a place to start?...

Sounds like you are as photophobic/photosensitive as I am...bet your desktop is a nice, plain black too...sometimes I even consider wearing sunglasses while on my PC  tounge_o.gif

I hope some of the suggestions above are adopted by missionmakers...

Yeah smile_o.gif I have been known to weare sunglasses at the PC, especially with a mediocre monitor. Sometimes when I'm really tired I'll weare sunglasses to class, at least when I was in really insanely lit up classrooms. biggrin_o.gif Hehhe

So, back on topic, that script can be converted into sonething that works with a few more triggers and daytime to make the map darker as the night comes and brighter as day breaks etc. Just play with it.

Incidentally, you can easy the adjustment between bright and dark environments by closing your eyes before the change, and then opening them.

Try it sometime -- before turning off the light in a room, close your eyes, flips the switch, and then open your eyes. You should see no ghost images that might otherwise be present if you had kept your eyes open.

Of course.....but try doing that when you've got an enemy squad advancing on your position crazy_o.gifwink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]that script can be converted into sonething that works with a few more triggers and daytime to make the map darker as the night comes and brighter as day breaks etc.

Maybe something for ECP? I´d like it.

Another example of the truly unique challenges a gamer faces when trying to master the noble art of OFP tounge_o.gif