Sign in to follow this  
buggs

Are these pc componets up to spec?

change the 3.06ghz (533FSB) to 3.00ghz(800FSB)

and take a Radeon 9800pro 256ddr tounge_o.gif

you could use the 256ddr in OFP

I don´t want to start a ATI vs. NVidia flamewar, but a lot of ppl which are playing on our server have radeon cards.

I often hear thst they have problems with "this driver in that game, another driver in ofp, and so on.)

I have tested OFP myself on a Radeon 9700Pro in an NForce2 System.

It worked very well, but those driver things I hear all the time makes me not to buy a radeon.

---

@FX5600

You want to buy a FX5600 256MB (non ultra). I told you to buy a FX5600Ultra 128MB.

You asked why it is slower.

First: Today´s Games are not using 256MB very well, so it won´t be faster.

Second: In some cases, on 256MB cards, there is slower ram on them.

Third: A ultra version has a higher clock of GPU and RAM, so it´s faster.

---

256MB are most of the times: "Marketing".

It sounds better if a graphics card has:

!-> 256MB DDR <-!

!-> 8x AGP <-!

!-> Extrem SUPER-DUPER *insert fantastic features here* Support <-! crazy_o.gif

You know what I mean? wink_o.gif

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

An alternative to 5600U is the 9600Pro. It's a bit cheaper than the 5600U (at least where I live) and they have pretty much equal performance. The 9600Pro has the better image quality of the two since ATIs anti-aliasing (AA) technique is better than nVidias (FX still uses the same old AA technique as they did on GF3/4).

Reviews:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTAyLDE=

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=3x5900u&page=9

And if you buy a ATI card you wont get any questionable optimizations in you drivers smile_o.gif

You should not support a company that act like nVidia is doing right now (IMHO).

In case anyone doesn’t know what I’m talking about: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTAz

Yes is that the Sapphire 9600? I heard that that was a pretty good card  smile_o.gif

My Saphire 9600 256 DDR didnt work too well on OFP sad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gif

Just played for 1-2 mins and then OFP crashed... not to DT, some weird stuff appeared on the screen and I had to reboot everytime sad_o.gif

Oh and Happy Birthday, Denoir  smile_o.gif

Thank you smile_o.gif

I have not tried ATI, but I can tell you that I'm very pleased with nVidia, especially the drivers. I have a Geforce3 (original, not the Titanium crap) and I can still run most games at maximum detail at 1600x1200. So my next card will certainly be nVidia too.

no way, 256ddr GFX cards are much better accept my OpenGL rock.gif

no way, 256ddr GFX cards are much better accept my OpenGL  rock.gif

If this was a Counter-Strike forum he asked in, I would say it matters.

But OFP has a Direct3D Engine.

I really don´t care about ppl who needs 400fps in QuakeIII, stable 100fps in CS.

I care about ppl who want to get all out of OFP that´s possible.

But when 2-3fps more in a OpenGL game are important, go and buy them for wasted money.

MfG Lee

Those driver problems are a thing of the past. I have had no problem with OFP since they fixed the flickering shadow problem in Catalyst 3.1 (or whatever driver version it was). ATI now has a very competent driver team and also a betaprogram to make sure the drivers that gets release to the public are as stable as possible. They release new drivers just about every month. ATIs drivers are just as good as nVidia drivers (for the FX cards) if not even better considering all the discussions around them (nVidias drivers) lately.

The GF3/4 is getting old so of course their drivers are pretty stable now but FX uses a completely new architecture.

OK then...I'm gonna get FX5600 Ultra 128mb smile_o.gif

Case closed tounge_o.gif

*Shashman is all excited about getting his new PC* biggrin_o.gif

Hmm...CRAP!! crazy_o.gif

The shop where I was gonna get my system, well the Leadtek A310 FX5600 Ultra 128mb is outta stock sad_o.gif

Hmm...CRAP!!  crazy_o.gif

The shop where I was gonna get my system, well the Leadtek A310 FX5600 Ultra 128mb is outta stock  sad_o.gif

Then you have time to rethink you choice. tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Read some more reviews.

Well i've been checking out various pieces of kit but this one seems about the best at the moment........ well for a grand anyway.

this is from microland uk again:

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz 800 MHz FSB Processor

Dual 512 MB DDR 400 PC 3200 Memory (1 GB Total)

120 GB Maxtor 7200rpm Hard Drive with 2 MB Buffer

Ati Radeon 128 MB 9800 Pro

Gigabyte 8IPE 1000 Pro Intel 865PE Motherboard

Creative Labs Audigy 2 6.1 Channel Surround Sound

Sony 16x DVD Drive with Power DVD XP

Sony 52x24x52 Burn proof CD-ReWriter

10/100 RJ45 Realtek Ethernet Card

Unfortunatly they don't do nvidia cards so ill take the risk with the ATI one (i can allways swap it for my G4 4400TI)

The motherboard has had some good reviews. and the pc has had a good review in PCplus and scored 5357 on the 3d mark 2003 benchmark (the alienware pc's score about 6500 under the same tests, i dont know if that means anything to you).

If any of you guys are posting from the uk, do you know of any other makes of pc's for about a grand. i've checked the usual Dell & evesham pc's but it seems pretty expensive.

Cheers, Buggs

Unfortunatly they don't do nvidia cards so ill take the risk with the ATI one (i can allways swap it for my G4 4400TI)

The motherboard has had some good reviews. and the pc has had a good review in PCplus and scored 5357 on the 3d mark 2003 benchmark (the alienware pc's score about 6500 under the same tests, i dont know if that means anything to you).

Don’t worry, the 9800pro 128Mb has the best performance/price of the top-cards (9800/5900). It's a great card.

About the 3Dmark score, those are pretty useless since the Alienware you mention probably has a FX 5900U and nVidia still uses cheats in that benchmark. The fact is that a 9800pro gets high score if you disable the cheats.

Don’t worry, the 9800pro 128Mb has the best performance/price of the top-cards (9800/5900). It's a great card.

About the 3Dmark score, those are pretty useless since the Alienware you mention probably has a FX 5900U and nVidia still uses cheats in that benchmark. The fact is that a 9800pro gets high score if you disable the cheats.

cheers for the reply S_Z. i've been an Nvidia & AMD user for 3 years, so moving over to Ati and Intel is unknown territory for me.

thanks, Buggs

Hey denoir, not everyone has a 100mbps connection in their house... tounge_o.gif

well i managed to full 1x160gb and 1x300gb HD's in less then a month biggrin_o.gif

the Leadtek A310 FX5600 Ultra 128mb is outta stock  sad_o.gif

You should buy the FX5900 either from MSI or the more expensive Gainward "Golden Sample 1200"(or something like that).

They are very quiet and don´t get so hot.

The Leadtek cooling solution is a little more noisy.

---

Something about the Gainward:

Gainwards cards are a little overclocked @ delivery.

But Gainward´s "Golden Sample" Series are made to run 100% stable at these settings.

Fastest FX5900 available.

MfG Lee

You should buy the FX5900 either from MSI or the more expensive Gainward "Golden Sample 1200"(or something like that).

There is a pretty big jump in price from a 5600U to a 5900(non-ultra)... rock.gif  

At least where I live the 5900 (non-ultra) is just as expensive as a 9800Pro 128Mb and the 9800Pro is (IMO) a better card.

They are very quiet and don´t get so hot.

The Leadtek cooling solution is a little more noisy.

---

Something about the Gainward:

Gainwards cards are a little overclocked @ delivery.

But Gainward´s "Golden Sample" Series are made to run 100% stable at these settings.

Fastest FX5900 available.

MfG Lee

Hmmm....If I could afford that kinda card, I wouldn't be asking here what card to get, I'd just get the best most expensive one rock.gif

My budget for this PC is approximately 1000 Euros...