Aviox93

Make an AI vehicle patrol without it getting stuck.

Hi!

I am doing a domination mission with several capture zones in which each have a radius of 50m. I want AI vehicles to patrol around this area within a radius of say 300m.

The problem is that they stop after a few minutes with a simple S&D waypoint. So I put an S&D waypoint and a "Move" waypoint in the center of the capture zone (because I want them to come back to the zone from time to time to recapture it if necessary), with a cycle waypoint but the vehicles always end up getting stuck because the capture zones are in small towns.

Is there a mod or another way to prevent the AI from getting stuck in buildings or trees?

Thanks !

For AI mods take a gander:

All Arma 3 Steam Workshop AI Mods Compilation List

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/237139-all-arma-3-steam-workshop-ai-mods-compilation-list/

For other ways, maybe RYD_PT Patrol?

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/284094-ryd_pt-patrol-script/

RYD Engage Towns Script

Spawn Vehicles that will Patrol any Area You Specify!

They may or may not be what your looking for because ai driving in general is meh and depends on the ai, there is

ai mod for driving but up to you, but those are my suggestions, hope that helps!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Thanks for your answer.

I don't see which mods prevent the AI from getting stuck, they all offer interesting things about the behavior of the AI but I don't see anything about the AI getting stuck.

And same, how can the RYD script solve this issue if a S&D waypoint can't ?

Thx !

As Gunter says, proposals can help. If you really want to keep your waypoint system (which is understandable) then I advise you to look at the attributes of the driving AI (and not the others on board).

Play with the values to find an acceptable and realistic compromise (reaction time, general skills -> AI_Skill).

In the same way, make sure you put them in Safe mode (setBehaviour) when they're on the move, and keep your fingers crossed that after contact they'll return to it ^^.

By playing with these values, I manage to get 90% civilian traffic and 75% enemy traffic. The remaining 10% and 25% are due to the basic AI, which is still not very good at driving.

Good luck with your edition!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Necropaulo said:

As Gunter says, proposals can help. If you really want to keep your waypoint system (which is understandable) then I advise you to look at the attributes of the driving AI (and not the others on board).

Play with the values to find an acceptable and realistic compromise (reaction time, general skills -> AI_Skill).

In the same way, make sure you put them in Safe mode (setBehaviour) when they're on the move, and keep your fingers crossed that after contact they'll return to it ^^.

By playing with these values, I manage to get 90% civilian traffic and 75% enemy traffic. The remaining 10% and 25% are due to the basic AI, which is still not very good at driving.

Good luck with your edition!

Hey thanks for answering.

I'm going to try a S&D Waypoint with max driver skill.

However, I'm okay to go on a patrol script system if I'm almost sure that the AI vehicle won't get stuck in the town (patrols can last 2 hours).

If you are going to have AI vehicle patrol your AO I suggest you get a mod called liability insurance. Your automatically flip over any vehicle that flips with AI and if a vehicle runs over units walking around the patrol area it will not kill them it would only knock them down and stun them for a bit before they can get back up. This is a must have for me in any mission design that has patrols. 

Getting stuck well you need to look in the areas that it gets stuck and why. A simple fix is to remove that item that it's getting stuck on it trees rocks walls ect from the hide terrain module in the editor.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 3:36 PM, Aviox93 said:

However, I'm okay to go on a patrol script system if I'm almost sure that the AI vehicle won't get stuck in the town (patrols can last 2 hours).

If you are inclined to use mods, or just for try, you can safely spawn vehicles in town with my spawn patrol module (or groups attack one). I created my own functions for that, avoiding tanks bouncing into the air if you used BI modules in towns or rocky places.

• Like 1